PDA

View Full Version : World without religion

enviro
06-07-04, 03:01 PM
Ever since the dawn of man, we have had war. And for what? It seems that almost every single war in history can be traced back to organized religion. "Organized" meaning people of the church.

Une foi, un loi, un roi (one faith, one law, one king) was the saying of choice during the Wars of Religion in 1562. This is one example - don't make me cite more examples, I'll be here all night. Just trust me on the first paragraph.

On one hand we have violence and death at the hands of religion (en masse) and then we have violence and death from those without religion (single acts). Guess that could mean that people who are with God like to kill collectively and those without God would rather do the deed alone.

It seems that the ACLU and liberals want to destroy anything in reference to God - or is it just Christianity? They would certainly fight for little muslim girls to get to wear their headscarves at school. We might risk offending their God so we try to hide our God.

Anyways, to the point....

1. Can you conceptualize a world without religion? If so, what would it be like? (I.E. would war cease to exist?)

2. If it were possible, would you be for or against getting rid of religion? Why or why not?

WillManning
06-07-04, 03:05 PM
The Soviets banned religion.

HardJedi
06-07-04, 03:27 PM
hmmm this is a touchy subject, likley to start a flame war here. Let's just say that I believe religion is a personal choice, and should be kept to yourself unles asked.

yellowwing
06-07-04, 05:05 PM
Growing up I always thought the Crusaders were personal heroes. I was crushed when I investigated and found out that they were just involved in a trade war. The Silk Route ran through the Holy Land.

These days I belive that the Separation of Church and State concept, actually protects the state.

enviro
06-07-04, 07:12 PM
I agree that it's a personal issue. I think that the questions can be answered without endorsing a particular religion or debasing one either.

I'm inclined to think that organized religion (a lot of times) breeds hate. It's funny that the Crusades were mentioned. It seems like that is just one of many forceful and hateful things brought on by organized religion that continues now.

Killing in the name of God.... That's what it's about.

I believe in God. I believe that one day I will join him. I do not believe in condeming other religions for their beliefs. I may make fun of some of the rituals of beliefs, but never condemn them.

Most often the wars have been in the name of God.

What would we fight about if it weren't for God?

And is it God they are really fighting for or is it some mortal man that dictates "what God wants"?

TracGunny
06-07-04, 07:26 PM
What would we fight about if it weren't for God?...land, wealth, race, creed, politics, etc... the species would find any reason to rage war... religion just happens to be easy because of the emotional ties... not all Crusades were truly religious-based; rather political... it was just easier to motivate the masses when "God said to do it"...

Remember Nazi Germany? Stalin's Russia? ...if memory serves me correctly, religion wasn’t the catalyst for a few of those wars...

or is it some mortal man that dictates "what God wants"?

...that may be closer to the truth...IMOHO

HardJedi
06-07-04, 07:52 PM
yeah, what TracGunny said :D

TracGunny
06-07-04, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by HardJedi
yeah, what TracGunny said :D dammit HardJedi! ...I wuz hopin' fer a translation... :dazed:

Sgted
06-07-04, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by enviro
Anyways, to the point....

1. Can you conceptualize a world without religion? If so, what would it be like? (I.E. would war cease to exist?)

2. If it were possible, would you be for or against getting rid of religion? Why or why not?

As to 1.
We would still find something to war about. War would not cease to exist. Many individual unkind acts that do not happen could just possibly be because the religious line is not crossed. Like killing someone or stealing, etc.

As to 2.
Faith is very strong. In healing, providing comfort and allowing hope in what otherwise might be a hopeless situation.
In our world there are many people who are opressed, hungry, sick and see death on a daily basis.
Belief in God and an afterworld (heaven) gives strength to the living. "I may have misery on earth but I am going to a better place". "I'll stick it out, worship my savior and live eternally in paradise".
Groups of humans in a common cause. Saving themselves and (sometimes) others.
I think the worlds civilization would plummet into chaos without organized relgion. We have many conflicts related to religion now (and in the past) but imagine what it might be like with no beliefs or hope.

HardJedi
06-07-04, 08:51 PM
good points Sgted.

that is, IMHO what religion is for. To give you hope. Hope of something better than what we have here and now. Many peopleneed that kinda thing to get them or keep them going. And no matter what, men and women, if their god(s) is taken away from them, they will just invent a new one.

Phantom Blooper
06-07-04, 09:08 PM
HardJedi,one consolation. In a world without religion,when you go to work and put in your eight plus hard hours,you will not have to be nice to a zealot when they try to hand you religious tracts and phamplets across the counter. Just a thought....one less thing to worry about. :) Semper-Fi!! Chuck Hall

HardJedi
06-07-04, 09:12 PM
LOL Phantom! See you read about the pushy people :)

enviro
06-07-04, 09:35 PM
Maybe it's not always religion, but maybe it can be summed up as pushing peoples beliefs on others. I have to disagree on Nazi Germany. It was partly motivated by trying to decimate an entire religion. If you weren't Jewish, you stood a much better chance of survival and being treated like a POW vice being gassed or tortured.

All of these are valid points and must be taken under consideration. I ask because I want to know why my friends were massacred in the name of God. Allah Akbar. God Willing. When did this become a religious war? It did for them, but not for us.

HardJedi
06-07-04, 09:41 PM
Hmmm. It was ALWAY'S about religion for them. Their beliefs dominate their society. There IS no equivilent for us here. Our society is MOSTLY dominated by our desires to please ourselves. MOST western civilizations are me first, while most eastern and middle eastern are more about the larger group. That's what makes em so dangerous. They place thier beliefs and society first, while westerners, for the MOST part, put the individual first.

As for your friends? Not sure how to respond to that. I would have to know the specifics to try and help make sense of it.