PDA

View Full Version : Recruiters

gonnabeinUSMC
06-06-04, 10:15 PM
Sorry bout teh seemingly dumb question but im new here. Ive always known i wanted to be a Marine, since i was little. I am finally old enough to be recruited and was wondering what all should i believe what my recruiter says. I want to be an officer, which means college first, can anyone recommend some programs to help me torwards a commission??

HardJedi
06-06-04, 10:21 PM
well, if you are in VA, Go to VMI that would be the simple way. Otherwise, youwould be better off talking to a COLLEGE than a Recruiter. Check out the college rotc, and see who they are affiliated with.

gonnabeinUSMC
06-06-04, 10:25 PM
see Virginia tech is 45 mins away and they have a good NROTC program with teh Corps of Cadets and all Tech and VMI are my two choices and the last is Radford University

HardJedi
06-06-04, 11:15 PM
Radford? didn't that used to be an all girls school? I went there for a halloween party once. Buddy of mine in 1/6 was from Roanoke....

gatormatt
06-07-04, 12:59 AM
You can attend any college and then attend one of the several variations of OCS. As has already been mentioned, joining an NROTC program would probably be very beneficial. Check out www.marineocs.com for a lot of good information on becoming an officer. Good luck.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-07-04, 04:59 PM
I caution you that just because you go to Va Tech or VMI, you will not automatically be able to gain the commission. There was a young LCPL with 2nd LADD that lived in my barracks. He had a degree from Va Tech and was quite proud of all of the officer friends he had... but he had to go enlisted to become one of us.

Sixguns
06-07-04, 05:35 PM
There are more chances to earn a commission while enlisted in the Marine Coprs than outside of it. Enlisted Marines can compete for seats at the Naval Academy, ROTC Scholarships, Enlisted Commissioning Programs, BOOST and MECEP to name a few. When you attempt to join the officer corps with no Marine Corps experience behind you, the odds are even harder for you to get in seeing as PLC and OCC only account for 1800 commissionings per year. THe others come from USNA and NROTC scholarships. You may want to take advantage of the tuition assistance programs to pay for your education while enlisted, instead of taking out loans and grants to attempt to pay for college on your own. I won't get any deeper, but the most respected officers I ever had the pleasure of serving with proved themselves as enlisted Marines first. Because of this, they were able to see the enlisted side of view and took the best care of their enlisted Marines.

Sixguns