PDA

View Full Version : D-Day is B-Day for Marine Slugger

thedrifter
06-06-04, 07:13 AM
D-Day is B-Day for Marine Slugger
Submitted by: Marine Corps Recruiting Command
Story Identification #: 20046384913
Story by Staff Sgt. Will Price

JACKSONVILLE, Fla.(June 03, 2004) -- For most Americans, D-Day -- June 6, 1944 -- was the day Allied forces stormed the beaches at Normandy, setting the Allies on a path towards total victory in WWII. But for one of Recruiting Station Jacksonville's newest Delayed Entry Program (DEP) members, June 6th has an even deeper meaning: he was born on that day -- four times!

Jeff Stockton's first birth occurred on June 6, 1978, in Houston, Texas, where he became enamored with the game of baseball when he was only 4 years old during his time in a Texas tee-ball league. After moving to St. Petersburg, FL., at age 6, Stockton continued to play the game throughout his youth.

On June 6, 1996, Stockton was born again, as he graduated Northeast High School with a batting average of .375 and a fielding pct. of .984. Known as a gap hitter with a glue-glove, Stockton, now team captain, led his men to a top ten ranking in the state. His accolades on the field would later earn him a full scholarship to Hillsborough Community College in Tampa, Florida.

Not satisfied with hitting just a lone home run during his whole high school career, Jeff hit the weights like a man on a mission. His mindset on playing in the majors, Stockton improved greatly. He went yard five times in his freshman year and four more in his sophomore year.

His new talent for hitting the long ball, combined with a rocket for an arm, drew the interest of the University of North Florida. Stockton was offered a full scholarship and a starting position at shortstop. While there, he averaged .330. Consequently, UNF was selected as the #1 seed in the Division II College World Series during Stockton's senior year.

On June 6, 2000, his 22nd birthday, Stockton was born a THIRD time. He received a phone call he had been waiting for his whole life -- the Anaheim Angels had drafted him to their A-League affiliate in Montana, the Butte Copper Kings.

Stockton would spend two years in the Angels' farm system. During his first year he hit .265 with 5 HR, but in his second season a foul-tipped ball smashed his foot. Stockton was put on the disabled list for a month, and it was during this time Stockton faced the realities of the business side of baseball.

"To get more players on the roster, teams will put you on what we called the 'Phantom' DL," Stockton recalls. "Eventually, I was able to play, but not with regularity. Soon I was given the choice of being placed on the DL, or signing for my release."

Stockton decided to leave the game. Upon returning to Jacksonville, Stockton determined to pursue another lifelong dream: joining the military.

"I always knew I wanted to be an infantryman, so it was either the Army or the Marines," Stockton said. "The Army just wanted to show me how much money they could give me, but it was the Marines who made me want to be a Marine!"

Then, on June 6, 2003, after enlisting into the DEP to become an infantryman, Stockton was born a FOURTH time -- as a future MARINE. He was asked to represent the Marine DEP to swear in during a ceremony honoring the 30th anniversary of the All-Volunteer Armed Forces at the local Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) in Jacksonville.

"We chose Jeff due to his maturity level, positive attitude and enthusiasm," said Staff Sgt. Glen Leckemby, canvassing recruiter for RSS Jacksonville Beach. "We knew he would represent the Marines well."

When Stockton left for Parris Island in September, his goals were simple and his focus resound. He wanted to train with the best, travel the world, and be a part of the most elite fighting force in the world, he said.

He summed up his focus very simply: "At this point, there is only one thing I really want in my life: to be a good Marine."

"When I played ball, I wasn't always the best, but anything I do, I do as hard as I can and as fast as I can," Stockton added. "That's why I know the Marine Corps will be a great fit for me."

On December 5, Stockton could not have proven his resolve any better. The former shortstop for the Angels was not done hitting homeruns. As he marched across the parade deck, he was carrying the guidon with an overwhelming sense of pride and accomplishment. After all, he had not only earned the title of United States Marine, but the coveted recognition as Company Honor man for 2nd Battalion’s Gulf Company.

After completing a Mediterranean float overseas, Lance Corporal Stockton said he wants to quickly complete his degree and become a "mustang" infantry officer.

Currently, Lance Corporal Stockton is stationed in Camp Lejeune, N.C., awaiting orders to join the fight in the War on Terror.

As his career unfolds, will June 6th, the day he was born four times, continue to play a role in Stockton's future? No one knows for sure, but with the ghosts of baseball sluggers past behind him and the spirits of the Marine heroes who stormed countless beaches beside him, what's for certain is the potential of this Marine is out of the park.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20046385822/$file/Stockton001LOW.jpg

Only moments after graduating as the Company honor Grad, Dec. 5, Lance Corporal Jeff Stockton was "asked" by a drill instructor to share his motivation with another platoon just about to enter third phase at Parris Island, S.C. Photo by: Sgt. Stacy Saunders

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004639528/$file/Stockton002LOW.jpg

Lance Corporal Jeff Stockton played in the Anaheim Angels' farm system with the Butte Copper Kings, prior to joining the Marine Corps.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/A4115EE1C56C356485256EA800466CDB?opendocument

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie