PDA

View Full Version : Some Fundamental Truths

HardJedi
06-04-04, 06:28 PM
anyone tell me where I stole these from? they are all from one souce.... enjoy. Just some things I think of asthuths of the universe . :)

Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you; if you don't bet, you can't win.

Get off a shot FAST! This will upset them long enough to let you make your second shot perfect.

There is no CONCLUSIVE eveidence of life after death. But there is no evidence of ANY sort against it. Soon enough, you will KNOW. So why fret about it?

A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future

A monster kills for pleasure. A fool kills for hate.

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.

You live and you learn. Or you don't live long.

Remember that great love and great acheivements require great risks.

Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Never frighten a little man. He'll kill you.

Natural laws have no pity.

Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tommorrow

mrbsox
06-04-04, 07:41 PM
Farmers Almanac ??

HardJedi
06-04-04, 07:43 PM
LOl nope. I was alway's really fond of the " never frighten a littleman, he'll kill you." one.
as my best friend is only 5'3" and mean as a rabid pitbull

yellowwing
06-04-04, 07:49 PM
My first construction foreman was a 6-6 biker type. He said he had to learn to talk to angry people. "Most folk are littler than me, and they pick sh*t up that hurts when they swing it at ya"

HardJedi
06-04-04, 07:52 PM
ok, here's a hint to wehre Igot these from. by a famous author who served in the US Navy, and he was born and raised in Missouri

TracGunny
06-04-04, 08:31 PM
I think I got it (I recognize one quote from a book I read); He is best known as a Science Fiction writer, correct?

HardJedi
06-04-04, 08:32 PM
YEs Indeed TracGunny

( with a name like mine, couldn't figure me for a sci-fi guy could ya? ) LOL

BHABIT
06-04-04, 08:47 PM
If I can offer but one more...

PAIN....Is weakness leaving your body.

Don't know about being a monster...did what I was trained to do and I loved it. No remorse, no hesitation... There the rules are clear...here they're fraught with doupt and shades of grey.

yellowwing
06-04-04, 08:56 PM
Natural laws have no pity
Listen to the jake brake clacking down the hill!
Is he gonna to make it?
I don't think he will.
'68 Camaro, full of young kids,
gonna find out what physics really is!

(based on a news story of a runaway gravel truck pancaking a few vehicles)

yellowwing
06-04-04, 09:03 PM
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
See the little man,
he's got a pit-bull.
His head is kind of crazy,
just a little too full.
Scares away the cop,
but he's just a rookie.
Then little Missy Johnson
just sells her last cookie!

(based on my experience with a pit bull that was allowed to roam the neigborhood. I flagged down a sherriff deputy, but he didn't want to get out of his cruiser and take a statement from the pit-bull owner!)

HardJedi
06-04-04, 09:07 PM
are you going to be doing little poems of each of them Yellowwing? if so, that's kinda cool :)

yellowwing
06-04-04, 09:10 PM
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
See the young clerk,
he's got a student loan.
Working third shift,
he's all alone.
Twelves years later,
he goes kinda spastic.
Shoots half the customers,
shouting, "Paper or Plastic!"

(based on my buddy when I asked what he was afraid of. He was working his 9th year at Kroger paying off his student loans.)

yellowwing
06-04-04, 09:14 PM
Nope that was the last one. Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy ws covered by the immortal Johhny Cash Boy Named Sue. Johnny kicks ass!

HardJedi
06-04-04, 09:16 PM
LOL, true.

greybeard
06-04-04, 10:44 PM
If you ever find yourself Between Planets, or A Stranger in a Strange Land, always remember that you are a Citizen of the Galaxy. Open the Door into Summer, walk forth and take the Glory Road toward the Expanded Universe, always repeating 'I Will Fear No Evil', tho evil abounds everywhere. These evils include dastardly characters like The Man Who Sold the Moon, (because The Moon is a Harsh Mistress), The Puppetmasters, The Star Beast, Podkayne of Mars, The Cat Who Walks Thru Walls, and the Menace from Earth. Your fight aginst evil will be aided if you remember to save Time for Love, (there is always Time Enough for the Stars), ask advice from The Farmer in the Sky, accept assistance from The Space Cadet, Starman Jones, and all the rest of the Starship Troopers. Failure to do so will find you Beyond this Horizon, serving The Number of the Beast on The Red Planet-literally an Assignment in Eternity.

All of this, is pre ordained, and written down beforehand by Hari Seldon, but that's a completely different story altogether. ;)

Note: Anyone else think Bill Gates is guilty of violating the 3rd Law of Robotics?

HardJedi
06-04-04, 10:48 PM
wow greay bread, i am DULY impressed!

TracGunny
06-04-04, 11:10 PM
Agreed, very impressive, greybeard; although I am trying to figure out how/why you mixed in Isaac...

HardJedi
06-04-04, 11:12 PM
ahh he told me that in a Pm TracGunny. Said he's an even bigger fan of Asimov. Trying to throw in a free plug on MY thread! LOL

( oh, and just so EVERYONE knows, TracGunny DID pm me with the right answer first :) )

TracGunny
06-04-04, 11:33 PM
I am afraid I have to side with greybeard on this one; as a kid it was Isaac Asimov who first introduced me to the world of SciFi writing (The Foundation Trilogy - that kept growing in volumes), so I have always held IA in special regard...

P.S: It seems Hollyweird is destroying another SciFi classic: The up-coming movie "I, Robot" promises to have nothing in common with the book of the same name by Asimov. At least Isaac and HardJedi's mystery author have that in common, as well...

MillRatUSMC
06-04-04, 11:40 PM
Some Fundamental Truths...Peace or War?
While some go off to serve in a war on terrorism, some go off to attend a university.
Those attending college do so because others have done their duty.
Those standing on lofty heights can make remarks of something they know nothing about.
Will this speech stop evil men and women wishing to attack us?

http://www.nwitimes.com/content/articles/2004/06/04/news/lake_county/d7a1f7338a20494b86256ea90000fc9a.jpg
JON L. HENDRICKS/THE TIMES Gavit High School senior Ian Blackwood will not be allowed to give his salutatorian speech at graduation because he refused to revise its critical views on war.

Ian Blackwood's proposed graduation speech;
I struggled when I sat down to write this speech. I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to say or how I wanted to say it. But thinking back, the past four years have been a troubling time for people all around the world...

The task we have been given is to achieve justice in a world of injustice, achieve peace in a world of violence and hate, and achieve compassion and understanding in a world of greed and self-interest. We have been given a task that seems impossible, but unlike those before us, we must reject the notion that violence can end violence, and that war can create peace...

As graduates of the class of 2004, we must break the cycle of violence that has disfigured mankind throughout history and in doing so reject war and reject hatred...

We have the power to change the world and the course of human history -- the question is how will we use that power. Will we learn nothing from the past? Will we continue to spread the inhumane brutality that is war? Or will we finally realize that war is not the answer and reject it?

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

HardJedi
06-04-04, 11:51 PM
something I wrote once in a Poem. I'll try and find it, but basically it said this.

Mankind will know peace, when we are all dead.

There has never, and WILL never be a time without war and conflict on this planet of SOME kind, untill there are no more men left on it.

Not that trying to achive peace is not a noble and worthy cause, because it is. Good luck to the class off 2004, fight EONS of human history. ( not bieng sarcastic at all, I wish them all the best of luck.)

TracGunny
06-04-04, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by MillRatUSMC
Some Fundamental Truths...Peace or War?
While some go off to serve in a war on terrorism, some go off to attend a university.
Those attending college do so because others have done their duty.
Those standing on lofty heights can make remarks of something they know nothing about.
Will this speech stop evil men and women wishing to attack us?
MilRatUSMC's point is well taken: Mr. Hendricks seems to lack understanding of the basic "truth" of human nature that discredits his utopian wishful dream. Unless EVERY SINGLE human being SIMUTANEOUSLY accepts Hendricks' fanciful dream, the Evil will always prey on the "good", and only Warriors-at-arms will curtail the wicked...

greybeard
06-05-04, 12:09 AM
I haven't heard anything good about the Starship Troopers sequel either. It's going straight to cable & video instead of movie theatre release, from what I hear.

press button (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/quiz/button2.html)

HardJedi
06-05-04, 12:10 AM
I've seen Starship troopers 2 on showtime. it SUCKED!

MillRatUSMC
06-05-04, 12:19 AM
Jon L Hendricks, whose name appears before Ian Blackwood the author of that graduation speech is a Photojournalist for The Times Newspaper of northwest Indiana.

http://www.nwitimes.com/content/articles/2004/06/04/news/lake_county/d7a1f7338a20494b86256ea90000fc9a.jpg
Ian Blackwood the author of that graduation speech.

Hope that clears up who is responsibile for that lofty speech...
Ian Blackwood will be attending Indiana University this coming fall.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

MillRatUSMC
06-05-04, 04:54 AM
After a night sleep, I starting to see the school position.
The United States government has never been against those who object against war on a position of one's faith.
The school position, might be, "If we allow Ian Blackwood to state his views, we might have others wanting to state their opposing views.
The "sunshine patroit" like the "sunshine soldier" will fade from history.
While the "patroit of winter" like the "soldier of winter" will become part of our history.
Is Ian Blackwood being "muzzled"? as the ACLU wants us to believe.
Because Ian Blackwood speech might be seen by some as being political in nature.
So fair play might necessiate opposing political views to counter his view.
Is his 1st Amendment rights being violated?
Yet those very rights have been brought by the blood of many who answered the call of the Nation.
"Freedom isn't really free" has been spoken before and in these troubled times, many are paying that price.
So others like Ian Blackwood can spend time seeking an education in a university in the land of the free.
"The price of Freedom is buried in the ground".

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

TracGunny
06-05-04, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by MillRatUSMC
Jon L Hendricks, whose name appears before Ian Blackwood the author of that graduation speech is a Photojournalist for The Times Newspaper of northwest Indiana.

Ian Blackwood the author of that graduation speech.

Hope that clears up who is responsibile for that lofty speech...
Ian Blackwood will be attending Indiana University this coming fall.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo Thanks for the correction; not sure how I looked past that... Apologies to Mr. Hendricks...

MilRatUSMC's point is well taken: Mr. Blackwood seems to lack understanding of the basic "truth" of human nature that discredits his utopian wishful dream. Unless EVERY SINGLE human being SIMUTANEOUSLY accepts Blackwood's fanciful dream, the Evil will always prey on the "good", and only Warriors-at-arms will curtail the wicked...

kentmitchell
06-05-04, 01:22 PM
You didn't mention one of his most important ones: Store beer in brown bottles.
Also, Tell her she's beautiful whether she is or not.
And my favorite, "When in doubt, vote NO."

kentmitchell
06-05-04, 01:24 PM
Re Starship Troopers

Ya gotta read the book. Hollywood didn't get it. Or didn't want to get it.

HardJedi
06-05-04, 02:52 PM
I actually did a political science paper in college BASED on Starship Troopers the novel. All about history and Moral Philosophy :)

greybeard
06-05-04, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by HardJedi
I actually did a political science paper in college BASED on Starship Troopers the novel. All about history and Moral Philosophy :)

Would that make you a psycho-historian? There may be a job opening for you, (and 299,999 others) working on the Encyclopedia Galatica.

greybeard
06-05-04, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by TracGunny
Thanks for the correction; not sure how I looked past that... Apologies to Mr. Hendricks...

Unless EVERY SINGLE human being SIMUTANEOUSLY accepts Blackwood's fanciful dream, the Evil will always prey on the "good", and only Warriors-at-arms will curtail the wicked...

It could happen-it worked for Gaia after it became a single consciousness.

HardJedi
06-05-04, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by greybeard

Would that make you a psycho-historian? There may be a job opening for you, (and 299,999 others) working on the Encyclopedia Galatica.

SOMETHING like that :D at the time I was a Criminal Justice major.

Back in school now though. Majoring in history and philosophy. gonna teach me some high school kids! WEEE!

greybeard
06-05-04, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by HardJedi

gonna teach me some high school kids! WEEE!

Don't bother--haven't ya heard? Nowdays, They already know it all. :D

HardJedi
06-05-04, 03:57 PM
yeah, well, if the school administrators will let me, I plan on making my classes pretty hard. lots of written papers and almost NO multiple choice :)

TMM54
06-05-04, 07:07 PM
My personal favorite:
"If you keep thinking what you always thought,
You will keep getting,
What you always got!"
Semper Fidelis, Tom Murray

HardJedi
06-07-04, 01:50 PM
who wrote that one, TMM54?