PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Creet

drlocousmc
06-03-04, 08:28 PM
Hey guys I would like know if any Marine can post the Rifle Creet . I would like to know the creet before I ship...Thanks

HardJedi
06-03-04, 08:49 PM
ummmm......
What's a CREET? LOL

Sorry, you mean CREED, I think.

and as far as that goes, I have forgotten most of it, but will try and find it for you, if no one beats me to it.

HardJedi
06-03-04, 08:51 PM
THIS IS MY RIFLE, THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE IS MINE. MY RIFLE IS MY BEST FRIEND. IT IS MY LIFE. I MUST MASTER IT AS I MASTER MY LIFE. WITHOUT ME IT IS USELESS, WITHOUT MY RIFLE I AM USELESS.

I WILL FIRE MY RIFLE TRUE, I MUST SHOOT STRAIGHTER THAN MY ENEMY WHO IS TRYING TO KILL ME, I MUST SHOOT HIM BEFORE HE SHOOTS ME....I WILL. MY RIFLE AND MYSELF KNOW WHAT COUNTS IN WAR IS NOT THE ROUNDS WE FIRE, THE NOISE OF OUR BURST, NOR THE SMOKE WE MAKE. WE KNOW THAT IT IS HITS THAT COUNT. WE WILL HIT...

MY RIFLE IS EVEN AS I, BECAUSE IT IS MY LIFE. THUS I WILL LEARN IT AS A BROTHER, LEARN ITS WEAKNESSES, ITS STRENGTHS, ITS PARTS, ITS ACCESSORIES, ITS SIGHTS AND ITS BARREL. I WILL EVER GUARD IT AGAINST THE RAVAGES OF WEATHER AND DAMAGE. I WILL KEEP MY RIFLE CLEAN AND READY, EVEN AS I AM CLEAN AND READY. WE WILL BECOME PART OF EACH OTHER. WE WILL...

BEFORE GOD I SWEAR THIS CREED, MY RIFLE AND MYSELF ARE THE DEFENDERS OF MY COUNTRY, WE ARE THE MASTERS OF OUR ENEMY, WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY LIFE. SO BE IT, UNTIL THERE IS NO ENEMY BUT PEACE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
there ya go. :)

Lake0300
06-03-04, 09:55 PM
I have 2 words for you drlocousmc... Gomer Pyle.

-Lake

TracGunny
06-03-04, 10:17 PM
this is my rifle

this is my gun

this ones' for shooting

this ones' for fun

HardJedi
06-03-04, 10:23 PM
anyway, much more important than the CREED, is your weapons serial number. I think I was asked ONCE to recite the CREED, but I was asked my rifles serial number every day.

snipowsky
06-04-04, 01:39 AM
That's uncalled for! The Gomer Pyle comment. He didn't know obviously. You are not a Marine yet young one! I don't appreciate you berating other Leatherneck.com members like that. Please keep hateful comments to yourself next time ok? I seriously hope when you join our ranks your attitude changes! I'm sure your drill instructors will have fun with you Lake! I've noticed your rude behavior in the past and kept my mouth shut. NO MORE!

Semper Fi

cjwright90
06-04-04, 10:29 AM
Out of line Lake. Way out.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-04-04, 01:02 PM
it amazes me that I still know it. If my senior DI was standing in front of me right now inspecting me, there is no doubt that I could tell him that my rifle serial number is 6073881

benny rutledge
06-04-04, 01:14 PM
One of you guys should have sent "RIFLE CREET" to HQMC.USMC.MIL and had him click to his hearts content,The original Creed is in the Archives.Lake;You better take a "Stand By"

airframesguru
06-04-04, 02:31 PM
E4B,

thats freeky, impressive but freeky. it funny though, how we remember so much of that stuff for so long. how long ago since you were asked?

Sempers,

MW

airframesguru
06-04-04, 02:35 PM
oh yeah, Lake. On your face and give the site 20. Not to be mean here. If and when you earn the EGA your job is going to one of helping others, wether its a Marine under you or someone who needs it. Lofe is to short to cut on people.

my 2 cents,

MW

cjwright90
06-04-04, 03:39 PM
By my calculations, if Lake gave 20 to the site for every time he got yelled at here, he would look like this:
d:\html\lake0300.jpg

Ed Palmer
06-04-04, 03:41 PM
Hey I wonder if they still get to do that to the recruits with the shoe string ? We had three in our Plt, in 56 . Once you get to see some other sucker get to do it you have a tendency to remember.

(This is my rifle)-- Raise your weapon-- this is my gun pull the string--( OUCH. ) Brings back wonderful memorys

HardJedi
06-04-04, 04:19 PM
well, we actually had to do push ups to the creed. This(up) is(down) my (up) rifle(down).......... so on and so forth. don'tthink we EVER made it all the way through.

and if we missed a word or did't get it right, we had to start over. Since it was done in a group setting though, I usually just kept my mouth shut :)

snipowsky
06-04-04, 06:01 PM
HardJedi you sneaky weasel you! lol That's awesome man. I plead the fifth on not sounding off when I was supposed too. There was days at boot camp that I did the same exact thing. I actually got caught a few times by the Drill Instructors for not sounding off. Then again I was on the Quarter Deck about every day! I actually started to like the Quarter Deck and would beg my SDI to put me on it. My SDI could thrash me like no other and I began to improvise adapt and overcome my fears of the Quarter Deck. My DI's loved me like that! After seeing I was having fun being thrashed they quit doing it to me. lol

Semper Fi

mrbsox
06-04-04, 07:20 PM

Did you say 6073881 ???

That was MY rifle in '76 !!

No not really, but I wonder how long they stay around. Mine said "G.M. HydraMatic Division" on the lower receiver. !!

Sgted
06-04-04, 07:24 PM
While I cannot remember my rifle serial number (head bowed in shame) I DO remember having to sleep with my rifle.
Probably because I forgot the serial number !!.

HardJedi
06-04-04, 07:26 PM
I actually have the serial number to every rifle I was ever issued written down in a journal somewhere at home.

let's see

Boot
MCT
SOI
Guam
Kings Bay
1/6
and 2nd LAR

7 damn rifles! LOL all in 4 years!

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-04-04, 08:00 PM
I don't know how long they stay at MCRD, but the one I had clearly saw many recruits through recruit training. There was little bluing left anywhere on the rifle, all the cleaning left it looking like stainless!

Kelvin Quinonez
06-08-04, 02:57 PM
So, is it as important to know the creed as it is the General orders or rank structure?

yellowwing
06-08-04, 03:25 PM
Yes.

"BEFORE GOD I SWEAR THIS CREED, MY RIFLE AND MYSELF ARE THE DEFENDERS OF MY COUNTRY, WE ARE THE MASTERS OF OUR ENEMY" - A creed is a way of life.

It's up there with the enlistment oath:
"I…do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the uniform code of military justice. So help me God."

But our Marine tradition goes even beyond that. We NEVER let each other down. Semper Fidelis ~ Always Faithful.

Kelvin Quinonez
06-08-04, 06:27 PM
Ok. Is the Marine Corps the only one that uses the creed?

ramy
06-08-04, 06:53 PM
yeah I think so. But the other branches of the armed forces have their own creed such as the Ranger Cceed.

enviro
06-08-04, 07:34 PM
My Rifle – The Creed of a United States Marine

This creed, accredited to Major General William H. Rupertus, USMC (Deceased) and still taught to Marines undergoing Basic Training at the Recruit Depots at San Diego and Parris Island, was first published in the San Diego Marine Corps Chevron March 14, 1942.

History of the Creed:

In a conversation which took place sometime early in 1942 between BGen William H. Rupertus, USMC, Commanding General, Marine Corps Base, San Diego, and Capt Robert P. White, USMCR, Public Relations Officer of the base, the general stated that his men must be made to understand “that the only weapon which stands between them and Death is the rifle…they must understand that their rifle is their life…it must become a creed with them.” Whereupon Capt White suggested that the general write an editorial to that effect with the tentative title of “My Rifle is My Life.”

The general, who had won the Distinguished Marksmanship Badge as a second lieutenant in 1915, liked the title but disagreed with the idea of an editorial which he considered would sound like a sermon. Instead, he felt that the rifle creed should be “something so deep, a conviction so great, a faith so lasting that no one should have to be preached to about it.”

The very next morning, the general appeared in the captain’s office with a “random scrap of paper” on which were penciled the notes which have since become the rifle creed. Capt White’s part in the final production of the creed is best expressed in his own words: “All I did was to translate it, type it, suggest a few different word usages and add a line here and there to complete the General’s thought. My job was that of an editor; and no editor could have bettered the General’s piece in that particular.”

Reference Section
USMC History and Museums Division

enviro
06-08-04, 07:37 PM
The Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy all have creeds.

The Air Force does not have a creed.

Army

The Soldier's Creed
I am an American Soldier.
I am a Warrior and a member of a team. I serve the people of the United States and live the Army Values.

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills. I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.
I am an expert and I am a professional.
I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.
I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.
I am an American Soldier.

Coast Guard

Creed of The United States Coast Guardsman

I am proud to be a United States Coast Guardsman.

I revere that long line of expert seamen who by their devotion to duty and sacrifice of self have made it possible for me to be a member of a service honored and respected, in peace and in war, throughout the world.

I never, by work or deed, will bring reproach upon the fair name of my service, nor permit others to do so unchallenged.

I will cheerfully and willingly obey all lawful orders.

I will always be on time to relieve, and shall endeavor to do more, rather than less, than my share.

I will always be at my station, alert and attending to my duties.

I shall, so far as I am able, bring to my seniors solutions, not problems.

I shall live joyously, but always with due regard for the rights and privileges of others.

I shall endeavor to be a model citizen in the community in which I live.

I shall sell life dearly to an enemy of my country, but give it freely to rescue those in peril.

With God's help, I shall endeavor to be one of His noblest Works...

Navy

The Sailors' Creed

I am a United States Sailor.
I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America and I will obey the orders of those appointed over me.
I represent the fighting spirit of the Navy and those who have gone before me to defend freedom and democracy around the world.
I proudly serve my country's Navy combat team with Honor, Courage and Commitment.
I am committed to excellence and the fair treatment of all.

Kelvin Quinonez
06-08-04, 09:22 PM
ok cool

Zachery
06-09-04, 04:00 PM
my recruiters told me that it wont matter if i dont remember the rifle creed before i go and that the general orders are more important than the rifle creed. is this true? should i not spend as much time as remembering the creed as i should the general orders?

Super Dave
06-09-04, 04:09 PM
Learn them both..be ready for anything and everything

ks4oc
06-09-04, 06:12 PM
Realizing it's NOT a Creed (or a creet for that matter), there is also the Code of Conduct.

The Code of Conduct for U.S. Armed Forces was first published by President Dwight D. Eisenhower in Executive Order 10631 in 1955. It was later amended by President Carter in 1977. It outlines the basic responsibilities and obligations of all U.S. service members to the the United States.

I pray that no Marine currently serving, nor any future Marine, or other American Military member ever has to live under this Code. But we all know that with what is going on worldwide, more and more of our Brothers and Sisters are being taken prisoner.

For those who remember, and those who don't, and for those who will be taught the Code of Conduct, here it is.

I

I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

II

I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.

III

If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and to aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

IV

If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way.

V

When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.

VI

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

Poolees, you will be taught the Code of Conduct. I was taught it in 1976, and my nephew, now in the Army, was taught it in 2003. I pray that you, and he, only have to learn about it, not live it first hand.

Semper Fi
Frank
Not as Lean
Not as Mean
Still a Marine!