PDA

View Full Version : Fire

devilpup2B
09-24-02, 04:11 PM
Gotta fire burning in Glendora, 'bout 30 minutes from my home, and it's heading my way. Last I heard, at 6:50 this morning, it was 8,000 acres with no containment. It's headed into the valley (where I live) and heading towards Mt. Baldy ('bout 10 minutes or so from my house). I'm not sure if it's a problem in Riverside, but our car was covered in ash this morning. A whole lotta families have been evacuated from their homes. So we could prayers for those families and please pray that it doesn't hit here. Thanks y'all!

~Morgan

JAMarine
09-24-02, 05:22 PM
Prayers were started before I finished your Post.

Good Luck Morgan.

devilpup2B
09-24-02, 06:10 PM
Just walked up two blocks to buy food after school...The flames are almost visible, you can see the heat at the top of them. Translation? Mt. Baldy is pretty much on fire. There is talk of evacuating St. Antonio Heights (a part of Upland) which is 9 blocks above me. That ain't a whole lot, y'all. My best friend lives up there and might get evac-ed. We don't have fire shelters around here so they might put the evacuated in hospitals. No thanks! We (My friend and I) were saying that we'll just sleep in the choir room at school, we live there already. (Case in point: I'm there right now). When I get home around 6:00 tonight I'll see how close the fire is. Right now, the quad at school is all smokey and gross. Pray for me and everybody involved. More updates later, or tomorrow. Thanks!

~Morgan

Sparrowhawk
09-24-02, 07:05 PM
11 miles of fire.

So far so good, no ones been injured, except one firefighter overcomed by the heat of the day.

Humm, makes one heck of a fire for roasting Marshmellows

http://www.bollmann.no/ferie2002/marsmellows.jpg

devilpup2B
09-24-02, 07:36 PM
Sparrow, you getting any ash in Riverside?

devilpup2B
09-25-02, 03:47 PM
Got home last night and found out that fire has spread big time. Here are the records I've kept from when I first found out until this morning:

Mon 8:50 PM 4,000 acres / no containment
Tue 6:50 AM 8,000 acres / no containment / heading towards Mt. Baldy
Tue 6:20 PM 15,000 acres / 5% contained
Tue 8:00 PM Evacuating Mt Baldy
Tue 9:15 PM 18,000 acres / can see fire from house / 8% contained
Wed 7:00 AM 22,000 acres / 8% contained

Got to school this morning and was able to see flames from the school, which is lower than my house. Also, Mt Baldy Village is now completely evacuated. There is an evac center at the park across from my house. Don't know if anyone watched CBS last night, but they were reporting from that park, so I could watch them by going outside. They are going to start evacuating San Antonia Heights, which is like the upper part of Upland, sometime today, so we shall see what happens. If the fire changes directions and heads up, it's going to hit where my mom lives, and if it continues on its current path its going to hit my friends. Hmmmmmmmmm........ So yeah, that's the update for now, I'll probably have more either tomorrow or later today. Different evac stations are set up at the park, in Claremont (next to us), at the school, and maybe even in hospitals. It's been raining ash, and people's cars are covered in it. Yuck.

~Morgan

wrbones
09-25-02, 03:50 PM
Saw the same thing in Santa Ana in the 70's. Had burnin twigs floatin in downtown. ( around 1st Street and the courthouse)

Ploft
09-25-02, 07:35 PM
Bones ever go in the bar next to the Trail Ways bus station don't remember getting the bus back to the base a couple times.

Ploft
Semper Fi

wrbones
09-25-02, 08:58 PM
But I spent many a night at Zeb's Boathouse and the Walnut Room!

Sparrowhawk
09-26-02, 12:18 AM
http://a799.ms.akamai.net/3/799/388/ada1148edc2d09/www.msnbc.com/news/1639485.jpg

CLAREMONT, Calif., Sept. 25 — A fire raging in wilderness above Los Angeles’ eastern foothills ballooned to 30,000 acres and threatened hundreds of homes Wednesday as it marched across the San Gabriel Mountains.

THE BLAZE, which has almost tripled in area since Tuesday morning, was about two miles from Mount Baldy Village, a small community 4,000 feet up its namesake mountain, and several miles from 700 suburban foothill homes, Los Angeles County Fire Chief P. Michael Freeman said.

The fire has incinerated 71 cabins and other buildings within Angeles National Forest since Sunday, but lack of strong wind was helping firefighters keep it out of the suburban sprawl abutting wildlands 30 to 45 miles east of Los Angeles.

devilpup2B
09-26-02, 01:37 PM
30,000 acres and 10% contained (as of this morning).

devilpup2B
09-27-02, 03:55 PM
25% contained. 'bout 15 miles or so (probably more by now). Last I heard it had three different heads. One is heading towards my mom, one is heading towards Mt. Baldy, and I don't know where the other one is going. The weather got cooler so it's slowing down, but still burning pretty good. Lotta dry stuff 'round here to burn. Fire officials have said that it will burn for at least another month, maybe even until the end of the year. Yay.

~Morgan