PDA

View Full Version : 3rd MAW changes commanding generals in Iraq

thedrifter
05-30-04, 10:00 AM
3rd MAW changes commanding generals in Iraq
Submitted by: 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing
Story Identification #: 200452965139
Story by Staff Sgt. Houston F. White Jr.

AL ASAD, Iraq (May 29, 2004) -- Leadership was smoothly transitioned here as Maj. Gen. James F. Amos relinquished command to Maj. Gen. Keith J. Stalder during the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing change of command, May 29.

For Amos, a University of Idaho graduate, the ceremony marked the bittersweet conclusion to an eventful tour of duty with 3rd MAW, which saw him deploy the unit to Iraq multiple times in support of the global war on terrorism.

"My feelings are mixed about leaving because I feel like we haven't completed Operation Iraqi Freedom yet," remarked Amos. "We certainly finished Iraqi Freedom I, but we're not done with Iraqi Freedom II and my thoughts are that as long as Marines and Sailors from this wing are here, I ought to be here with them.

"On one hand, I'm excited about the potential job I have been nominated for at (II Marine Expeditionary Force)," he added, "but the other side, it leaves an ache in my heart because I feel like I'm leaving the Marines and Sailors prematurely."

Upon assuming control of 3rd MAW in August 2002, Amos said he originally set his sights on building upon the solid foundation that was already put in place by the previous commander.

"When I joined the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing it was already in great shape," he explained. "(Retired Maj. Gen.) Charlie Bolden had done all the right things before I got here and the leadership was there, so to be quite honest, there wasn't much that needed to be changed right away."

According to Amos, his objectives changed after he was summoned at the behest of Gen. Michael W. Hagee, who at the time was the commanding general of 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, to begin preparing for the likely overseas battle against terrorism that loomed on the horizon.

"My goals then shifted to purely being able to get 3rd MAW focused on warfighting as a wing," he said. "We spent from August (2002) until we deployed in February (2003) realigning all of our training to focus purely on the Iraqi scenario."

Paramount amongst the dazzling array of missions Amos was able to accomplish during his 3rd MAW term of leadership was the movement to and from the Persian Gulf theatre in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom on more than one occasion.

"I don't think many general officers get an opportunity to deploy an air group or air wing (to combat)," Amos offered. "I had deployed before, but not on that large of a scale.

"I had to pinch myself after OIF I to believe that we were able to deploy a wing this large, take it to combat and have it turn out to be such a successful operation from the whole Marine perspective," he added. "To think about being able to do it twice was very gratifying."

In addition to providing him with an immense sense of fulfillment, the deployment of 3rd MAW to a combat environment educated the seasoned aviator as well.

"The biggest lesson I learned was just how difficult it is to get a command as large as the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing and move it beyond a (Combined Arms Exercise) mindset," explained Amos.

"It was a lot harder than I thought to get a command this size to the next level, where you really understand that people are going to die and you have to be prepared for everything that could take place on the battlefield," he added.

Accepting the reins of the "Warfighting Wing of the Marine Corps" from Amos, the new 3rd MAW commanding general made it clear that doing so is both a tribute he is grateful for and a challenge he looks forward to.

"I'd like to start out by thanking (Lt. Gen. Wallace C. Gregson, commanding general, United States Marine Forces Pacific) for this opportunity," remarked Stalder. "The privilege of commanding Marines at any level is a high honor, but to be considered to do so in combat is clearly the ultimate.

"It is something I appreciate to the fullest and I am both honored and humbled by the opportunity," he added. "I promise (the Marines and Sailors of 3rd MAW) a level of leadership that is commensurate with your tremendous accomplishments and I will challenge you to improve upon them every day."

At the forefront of those giving praise to his replacement was Amos, who himself has shared a lengthy friendship with Stalder for well over two decades.

"I've known Major General Keith Stalder since we were captains," said the 34-year Marine Corps veteran. "We've never been assigned to the same air group, but we've always been friends and have known each other since we were youngsters.

"He is highly capable and will do a superb job," Amos emphasized. "He's very familiar with the wing, so he's familiar with the area, familiar with the plan and (3rd MAW) is getting a guy that's a good leader, a good tactician and just an all around great officer."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200452971320/$file/001-3MAW-COC-lr.jpg

Maj. Gen. James F. Amos (right) relinquishes the organizational colors to Maj. Gen. Keith J. Stalder, commanding general, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, during the change of command ceremony in Al Asad, Iraq, May 29. The longtime friends have known one another for several decades and first crossed paths as captains. Photo by: Staff Sgt. Houston F. White Jr.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/1D6ED5876FCF8FE185256EA3003BA936?opendocument

Ellie

thedrifter
05-30-04, 10:01 AM
More Marines leave Fallujah for border <br />
<br />
<br />
By Rowan Scarborough <br />
THE WASHINGTON TIMES <br />
<br />
<br />
The lasting cease-fire in Fallujah has let U.S. Marines pull more forces from around the city and use them...

thedrifter
05-30-04, 10:03 AM
Twins enlist, deploy to war together
Submitted by: 1st Marine Division
Story Identification #: 2004529102350
Story by Sgt. Jose E. Guillen

KHARMA, Iraq(May 28, 2004) -- Pfc. James C. Cardenas has the perfect battle buddy in Iraq. He walks just like him and talks just like him. They've got everything in common. He and his battle buddy are a mirror image of each other.

That's because the one person Cardenas can always count on in battle is his twin brother, Pfc. Aaron Cardenas. The two are assigned to Company A, 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment; James as an assistant machine gunner in 3rd Platoon's 1st Squad and Aaron doing the same duty for 3rd Platoon's 2nd Squad.

The two 20-year-olds from Monterrey Park, Calif., have literally had a life side-by side. They were born minutes apart, enlisted together and graduated boot camp together in 2003. They were also assigned to the same unit together and now serve alongside each other in Iraq.

"We didn't use the buddy program, but it just worked out that we've been together everywhere we go," Aaron said.

"It was strange at first because we've always been together, but we definitely think it's a neat experience," James explained.

"What makes it exciting is that we came out here and saw combat together," said Aaron.

James and Aaron battled back the enemy side-by-side when Marines began the cordon at Fallujah, April 5. Since then, their respective squads have not worked collectively on a mission.

Sgt. Martin Vera, 3rd Platoon's Guide, said that while Marines in general watch over each other, he's noticed the Marine twins' special bond is one of a kind.

"These two really take care of each other," said Vera, a 28-year-old from Long Beach, Calif. "It's just obvious. They motivate each other, which is good because we don't want anything to happen to either of them."

That's not to say sibling rivalry is lost on the Cardenas twins. They're only about one year into their careers, but James said it's always been a competition to out do the other. Being Marines has only made that more competitive.

"He's been getting smarter and more disciplined," James said of his brother. "I'm always trying to be better, but right now he's an expert rifle shooter, and I'm a sharpshooter."

"I can see the difference in him too," Aaron explained. "Before we hit the fleet, we were just confused all the time, but he knows what he's doing."

Aaron added he expects the competition to stiffen after they are promoted to lance corporal.

The Cardenas enjoy the fact they're sharing their Iraq deployment, but know that some day, they'll part ways.

"We're happy we're together, but eventually we'll get split up," Aaron said.

"We shared the same bunk in boot camp and SOI, we live together in the barracks, so it doesn't matter anymore," James joked. "I'm tired of him already."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004529104557/$file/twins1lr.jpg

Twin brothers Pfcs. James and Aaron Cardenas are inseperable, even in war. The two enlisted together, were assigned to the same battalion and deployed together to Iraq.
(USMC photo by Sgt. Jose E. Guillen) Photo by: Sgt. Jose E. Guillen

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/3FC28041C6A94AB885256EA3004F1659?opendocument

Ellie

thedrifter
05-30-04, 10:04 AM
1st FSSG convoys blaze trails in western Iraq <br />
Submitted by: 1st Force Service Support Group <br />
Story Identification #: 2004529124622 <br />
Story by Sgt. Matt Epright <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
CAMP AL ASAD, Iraq(May 29,...

thedrifter