PDA

View Full Version : Nick Names we gave each other in Nam

Sparrowhawk
06-24-02, 03:10 PM
We gave each other nick-names in Vietnam. Sometimes the names reflected just the opposite character of the Marine we gave it to.

For instance, "Lucky" in 1st squad wasn't very lucky.

We called Aguilar, "Tired Aggie", because he was slow moving.

"Combat," was a Marine who always carried a lot of extra ammo
and "Rabbit, " got his nick-name when he fell head first into a spider hole, and we had to pull him out feet first.

Some liked their names, "T.J." was Mexican and it was short for Tijuana.

TeeTee was Vietnamese for "little", and we called "Toy, a small Marine, "Little TeeTee" because he was both small and his last name was Toy.

Others did not like their nick-names, Cpl. Durmont, who spoke French, hated to be called "Frenchy."

Some were called by the state they came from, but I don't remember what state, "Tex" was from...LOL

What were you called in Nam?

I was called "Cook-Son", "Kid", and "Cookie."

tkuhr
06-24-02, 03:32 PM
was mine - probably something to do with standing 6'2'' and weighing 155#. And we had "Grit" from Alabama an "Chief" from Ok and S/sgt Levitt whom we could call "Lev" when (and only when) we were playing Hearts.

USMC0311
06-24-02, 03:36 PM
platoon Seargent called me fox.
charlie called me Joe.
vietnamese girls called me, boom boom 2 long
friggin American civilians called me baby killer.

Riven37
01-11-03, 06:15 AM
I was called Snoopy, later it became Snoopy Thumper after becoming a very fast, two fisted round dropper on the 81's.

01-11-03, 06:29 AM
Mud Hen

greensideout
01-21-03, 07:32 PM
I got taged with "Leghorn", by my buddy "Ace". He was black and said I reminded him of a white rooster. Dam*, I miss that guy.

Another was "Buddha". Played football for Alabama.
"Baby Hug" was another, little guy from Troy, NY. His last name was Hug.

tazz
02-19-03, 02:00 PM
Tazz....always like a whirlwind

albert torcini
02-21-03, 10:09 AM
I WAS CALLED "TORCH" WHICH WAS A SHORT VERSION OF MY LAST NAME. MY FAMOUS QUOTE WHEN I GOT BACK TO THE STATES
WAS "WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO,SEND ME TO VIET NAM". I SAID THAT ALOT WHEN I WAS A SHORT TIMER. AL T

USMC0311
02-21-03, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by albert torcini
I WAS CALLED "TORCH" WHICH WAS A SHORT VERSION OF MY LAST NAME. MY FAMOUS QUOTE WHEN I GOT BACK TO THE STATES
WAS "WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO,SEND ME TO VIET NAM". I SAID THAT ALOT WHEN I WAS A SHORT TIMER. AL T

:D wtf they gonna do? Shave my head and send me to Vietnam. back then if ya signed for 4 ya was likely to get orders back. :no:

albert torcini
02-21-03, 02:43 PM
YOUR RIGHT JOE,IF YOU SIGNED FOR 4YRS MORE THAN LIKELY YOU DID 2 TOURS. GUESS WHAT, I SIGNED FOR 3 YRS BECAUSE
THEY HAD A SPECIAL IF YOU WENT TO BOOT CAMP IN THE SUMMER THEY TOOK OFF A YEAR. I'AM FROM PHILA AND DURING THE SUMMER IN MY DAY EVERY BODY WENT TO WILDWOOD NJ WHICH WAS ONLY 90 MILES AWAY. SO, THE RECURITERS HAD A HARD TIME LOOKING FOR FRESH MEAT.I WAS SUPPOSED TO GO BACK TO NAM IN 66,BUT WHEN THEY FOUND OUT I WAS IN FOR 3YRS AND DIDN'T HAVE THE TIME LEFT, THEY PUT THE PRESSURE ON. NO DISRESPECT,BUT ONE TOUR WAS GOOD FOR ME.