PDA

View Full Version : Agony At The Pump

thedrifter
05-29-04, 07:41 AM
Allan Topol: Agony At The Pump

Americans are in pain these days when they pull into a station to fill up with gas. Even though the Saudi government has said that it will increase its oil production, this will not alleviate the problem.

Market forces are at work: simple supply and demand. Although some politicians would prefer pandering to voters by promising lower prices, they won't be able to deliver.

The root cause is that the benchmark price of crude oil has risen from $30 to $40 a barrel. On its face, this seems horrible, but not in context. Previous oil spikes were far worse. Adjusting for inflation, in today's prices, oil would have been $60 a barrel at the time of the first Gulf War and above $80 a barrel in the late 1970s.

That's the good news. The bad news is that those two rapid increases were very short-term, caused by a specific event, and gave way to much lower prices relatively quickly.

This time, while there may be some dips, high prices are here to stay. We can expect a continual upward movement. At this time next year, Americans will yearn for the prices they are now paying.

To be sure, there are some temporary market inefficiencies. No markets perform perfectly. But at the end of the day, price is a function of supply and demand. On the supply side, most oil producers, except for Saudi Arabia, are pumping at full capacity and elated to do so at $40 a barrel. The Saudis, with the largest reserves, are more cautious, although in response to American pressure they have agreed to increase pumping. This may offer some benefit on the short term. But at this point, not much has changed on the supply side.

Demand is the source of the problem. For starters, a major new player has entered the market. From being a miniscule oil consumer a few years ago, China has now surpassed Japan as the second largest consumer of oil for their factories and cars. Yes cars. Those bicycles are a thing of the past.

China still doesn't approach the United States, which consumes a quarter of the world's petroleum. Most of that goes into our cars, and thanks to low interest rates, Americans have been on a gas guzzling SUV buying binge in the last couple of years. Just count the SUVs on the road, many of them with one occupant, and you'll know I'm right. Now it's starting to be vacation time, and those greedy little piggies have to be fed and fed.

Add to this the sharp resurgence of the economy in the United States and elsewhere in the world. This means far more demand for oil to run factories and power plants.

Then there is the reappearance of inflation generally. That will drive up all prices, including oil. Indications are that we may be starting another vicious inflationary cycle. It's not just oil. Spurred on by increased Chinese demand, steel makers have begun raising prices sharply for the first time in years. That means higher can prices, which translates into higher prices at the supermarket, as well as higher prices in construction and throughout the economy.

There's a real wild card in this deck. Al Qaeda terrorists have targeted Saudi oil production in the recent past. If they manage to shut it down or even disrupt the flow from the most significant supplier, prices will shoot up another $10, $20 or even more per barrel.

Even if this doesn't happen, the pain we're feeling over higher gasoline prices will be magnified when we receive electric and gas bills at home. Energy costs continue to be the Achilles heel for the American economy.

In the short run, there's nothing our government can do. Some have suggested taking oil from our country's Strategic Petroleum Reserve and putting that into commerce to bring down prices. Fortunately, President Bush has dismissed this irresponsible idea out of hand. That reserve exists for a genuine emergency, which we may one day have with the uncertainties in the Middle East, and not so Americans can save a little money on their summer vacations.

In the long term, we could construct nuclear power plants, but environmentalists seem to have blocked that prospect under existing laws. Importation of LNG (liquefied natural gas) might help, but the NIMBY movement has a stranglehold at possible ports of entry.

In the meantime, we can buy cars that get better gas mileage, take subways and trains where they are available, and in the words of my father, "turn off the damn lights."

Here in Philly....My tank was 1/2 way yesterday....To fill it up....I spent 25.00.....

Ellie

mrbsox
05-29-04, 07:48 AM
Ford SUPERCREW Pickup w/5.4 Litre

8 MPG,,, on a good day !!!

Sgted
05-29-04, 12:21 PM
Ahhhh..... SUV's.

I'm old enough to remember the oil embargos of the 1970's.
At that time Americans were driving around big gas guzzlers.
The Government and the people of this country acted.
Japanese cars were being bought in an effort to economize. Honda's were hot !!!!.
We were asked to save gasoline and we did a great job in the ensuing decade to do so.
American automobile manufacturers started building cars that got better miles per gallon.
In advertizing, auto manufacturers boldly stated their cars efficiency. 19MPG City / 25 HWY, etc. This information became one of the selling points to attract buyers.
Somewhere along the line we lost this national effort to conserve.
Most auto manufacturers would not dare to state MPG these days. Even if its good MPG. How can GM say the Malibu gets good MPG while the Hummer gets 8 MPG ?
They cannot promote an economical, sensible car while selling big, hungry land barges.
Look, I firmly believe in freedom. But with freedom comes responsibility.
There are legitimate reasons to own BIG. But most people are buying these SUV's in the chance they may have to haul a sheet of plywood once a year.
And, although improving, the chance accident between a car & an SUV results in the occupants of the car getting the short end of the stick.
I also think we as a society are not foward thinking.
Oil is FINATE.
What will generations to come face ?.
I know that this is not the total answer to the current problem, but it does contribute.

USMCWifeNMom
05-29-04, 12:50 PM
"But most people are buying these SUV's in the chance they may have to haul a sheet of plywood once a year."

Define "most." I'm not sure if I trust your survey, since you never asked us how we utilize our SUV.

"They cannot promote an economical, sensible car while selling big, hungry land barges."

Sure they can ... it's called offering a choice and staying competitive in a capitalist society.

We drive a Chevy Avalanche ... 4X4 BLACK & LIFTED! Love it ... 12 MPG but it's all good. It takes us where we need to be ... camping, sky diving, rock climbing ... hauls the family and the gear in comfort and style.

In Bakersfield we're at:

$2.33
$2.43
$2.53

BUT that's still a far cry cheaper than other countries.

Sgted
05-29-04, 01:19 PM
As I said in my post, "there are legitimate reasons to own BIG" and, USMCWifeNMom, yours is one.
You have purchased an SUV based on need.

Offering a choice, staying competitive STILL comes with responsibility in this capitalst society.

Mine is an unpopular way of thinking concerning this issue.
But, it IS an issue that we will have to face one day.

USMCWifeNMom
05-29-04, 02:58 PM
Sgted:

The beauty of our beloved country is we don't need a legitimate excuse to buy anything. SUVs aren't the only areas of excess. The elite live in HUGE homes ... and have several to boot. I can only imagine the cost, and waste to operate a property, such as Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch ... and he's not the Lone Ranger in that department.

Responsibility is something the left wants to dictate to the right. Gone are the days of personal accountability ... just ask the ACLU if they're hurting for clients.

However, the aforemention stated, I respect your position, and stand foursquare behind mine.

Good day.

Margot out.

Sgted
05-29-04, 03:16 PM
Hi Margot,

Thank you for the response.

And I too respect your position and the thoughts you have posted.

Ed.

mrbsox
05-29-04, 05:56 PM
C.A.F.E. standards

Corporate
Average
Fuel
Economy

Govt regs that say 'your cars have to AVERAGE so many mpg'.

GM sells the GEO Metro at 50, can sell the 'Land Yacht' that gets 10.

The C.O. is a licensed contractor; commercial, industrial, and residential. SO... it's HER truck, SHE drives it, SHE buys the gas !!

My Taurus does @28 hwy. Nashville to Louisville @1/3 tank.

Nash and Louis...

$1.899 $1.999 $2.099

Sgted,
I remember the early 70's when gas went from .25 to 1$. Unleaded was just coming out.
Most people (young bucks that is) don't realize gas has run dollar to dollar and half for over 30 years.

Osotogary
05-29-04, 08:39 PM
I just spent most of my vacation money driving to and from the supermarket! Over $2.00 for regular gas per gallon at Hess no less! Add toll fares to that and......it's almost better to rent a documentary of say Germany, buy some German beer, some Bratwurst and experience Bavaria from your living room.

Toby M
05-29-04, 08:52 PM
I remember when the price of gasoline went to .39 a gal. I swore I would never drive again! Boy was I wrong! I would kill for that price to come back!!!

Les Elkins
05-29-04, 10:06 PM
How about the gas wars of the mid 60's? You could get gas for .19 a gal.

$1.81

yellowwing
05-29-04, 10:39 PM
$2.95 for regular in Winnipeg. $4.54 for super octane. Watching the old TV reruns you can see gas prices in the back ground, $0.39 on Rockford Files.

USMCWifeNMom
05-29-04, 10:46 PM
WOW yellowwing ... makes my $2.53 for super look like a bargain! Thanks for sharing ...

"I once cried because I had no shoes ... until I met a man who had no feet."

Ed Palmer
05-30-04, 08:39 AM
GAS WAS $O.19 tHE DAY I GOT MY THIRD DISCHARGE 4-7-71. <br />
OF COURSE THAT WAS IN WEST TEXAS AT ABILENE NOW IN KANSAS IT,S 1.99, 2.09 &amp; 2.19 LOOK OUT IT HAS TO GET BETTER MABE LIKE 3.50

greybeard
06-01-04, 12:45 AM
$1.97 here in West Texas now Ed.
Be glad our cars don't run on Pepto Bismol.

1 gal milk-$3.10
1 gal Chanel No. 5 Parfum: $45, 056
1 gal Revlon Nail Enamel: $983.04
1 gal Visine Advanced Eye Drops: $741.12
1 gal Vicks 44D Cough Syrup: $96.67
1 gal Coppertone SPF 45 sun-block lotion: $90.11
1 gal Pepto-Bismol: $58.52
1 gal Evian bottled water: $21.19-That's right-water!!
1 gal Mocha at Peaberry coffee (tax included): $22.28
1 gal Corona beer: $12.89
1 gal Snapple: $10.32
1 gal Tide liquid detergent: $8.39
1 gal Coca-Cola: $2.64

Phantom Blooper
06-02-04, 08:13 PM
By BRUCE STANLEY
AP Business Writer

BEIRUT, Lebanon (AP) -- Several OPEC members expressed support Wednesday for a Saudi plan to raise the group's oil production ceiling by 10.6 percent in the hope of calming jittery markets and reducing crude prices from near record heights. Oil prices sank more than 5 percent in trading in Ne York and London.

A more radical proposal by Algeria for the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries to suspend its output ceiling altogether appeared to win no immediate backing.

OPEC representatives arriving in Beirut expressed a common desire to send a strong signal to oil markets that the group would boost production and ensure that crude supplies remained plentiful. They gathered for joint talks ahead of a formal meeting Thursday on OPEC's production policy.

A suspected al-Qaida terror attack on oil worker compounds in Saudi Arabia over the weekend stunned markets that were already nervous about stretched oil inventories, Middle East tensions and a possible shortfall in supply. U.S. crude prices shot up to record levels in response but retreated somewhat Wednesday as Saudi Arabian Oil Minister Ali Naimi stressed that Saudi Arabia was taking adequate security measures at its strategic facilities for collecting and exporting oil.

"I assure you that the kingdom and all OPEC members are concerned ... and we don't want high prices," he said in a speech at the Beirut offices of the U.N. Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia.

U.S. light crude oil for July delivery fell $2.37 to settle at $39.96 per barrel, a day after settling at $42.33 - the highest settlement price in the contract's 21-year history on the New York Mercantile Exchange. In London, July contracts of Brent crude settled at $36.86, down $2.22 from Tuesday's closing price.

Under pressure from the United States and other major oil importers, Saudi Arabia has already boosted its output by 600,000 barrels a day, independently of OPEC. The United Arab Emirates showed a willingness to add more barrels of its own.

"In order to calm the heat of prices, the United Arab Emirates has taken a decision to increase production by over 400,000 barrels a day," the country's oil minister, Obaid bin Saif al-Nasseri, said upon arrival at Beirut airport. For the most part, such an increase would represent a return to a normal level of production for the United Arab Emirates after a lull in output due to maintenance at its oil facilities in April.

Kuwaiti Oil Minister Sheik Ahmed Fahd Al Ahmed Al Sabah said Kuwait would increase its output by 100,000 barrels later this month.

Algeria's Oil Minister Chakib Khelil suggested that OPEC members temporarily "do away" with all their individual production quotas, though he shook his head when asked if such a suspension would cause prices to fall.

"I don't think we will suspend the quotas," responded Kuwait's Sheik Ahmed. "I'm not a supporter of that idea, but we still support the idea of increasing to 26" million barrels.

Like Kuwait, Qatar and Nigeria also backed the Saudi plan to raise OPEC's production ceiling to 26 million barrels - an increase of 2.5 million barrels.

OPEC produces more than a third of the world's crude. Saudi Arabia, with the world's largest proven oil reserves, is the group's most powerful member. For this reason, the weekend attack that killed 22 people at the Saudi oil hub of Khobar sent a tremor through the market, and the Saudis have sought to persuade buyers that they are doing all they can to prevent an even more damaging attack.

"They've proven that they can't protect the people at the core of that industry - at least the foreign element," said Jan Stuart, an analyst at the New York brokerage Fimat. Saudi Arabia employs as many as 30,000 foreigners in its oil industry, and Stuart argued that the Saudi industry's flexibility and efficiency would suffer in coming years if many of these expatriates left the kingdom out of concerns for their safety.

Naimi insisted that his country could continue producing oil without the help of foreigners.

"There are those who believe that if five or 10 foreigners leave, production in the kingdom will stop. And this is all a wrong way of thinking. ... We have refineries that are run by Saudis," he said in his speech.

Naimi blamed media commentators for fanning fears that terrorists could launch a devastating strike against vital Saudi installations, which he said were under "intensive protection."

He also argued that heavy speculative trading on futures markets has helped to divorce current high prices from the reality of physical supply and demand.

"Contrary to what some believe, OPEC cannot always control prices. OPEC's role is limited to working to achieve a balance between supply and demand in the crude oil market. But the prices are controlled by the market and are affected by many factors," he said.

Many analysts agreed that OPEC's options for reassuring the market were limited.

Although Saudi Arabia has boosted its own output independently of OPEC, many of the group's members are already producing at close to their capacity. OPEC is pumping 2.3 million barrels above its current ceiling, according to the group's president, Purnomo Yusgiantoro, and an increase in its ceiling would legitimize this overproduction rather than add a lot of new oil to the market.

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

yellowwing
06-02-04, 10:29 PM
Doesn't Kuwait owe us a favor? How about opening up those taps a few more notches!

Sparrowhawk
06-02-04, 11:41 PM
AAA Gas Prices (http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/sbsavg.asp)

lurchenstein
06-03-04, 12:48 AM
My Taurus does @28 hwy. Nashville to Louisville @1/3 tank.

Fine cruising machine you got there Devil Dog. (Running same here in the West.)

After seeing gas prices at $7-$8 in the UK in the late 90's, these domestic prices aren't shocking. I hate paying 2.29+ per gallon, but it sure beats UK prices. California reportedly is "suffering" from refinery-related problems that produce less of the "special" formula gas while demand is still rising. These refineries are profitting nicely from the situation, but some are still planning to shut down.

lurchenstein
06-03-04, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by yellowwing
Doesn't Kuwait owe us a favor? How about opening up those taps a few more notches!

They should open up the taps on the gas & the beer. I wouldn't expect to find the latter there, but it's a nice thought.