PDA

View Full Version : Fast-roping Marines take a bite out of the "Big Apple"

thedrifter
05-29-04, 06:21 AM
Fast-roping Marines take a bite out of the "Big Apple"
Submitted by: New York City Public Affairs
Story Identification #: 2004528142440
Story by Cpl. Clinton Firstbrook

NEW YORK(May 28, 2004) -- Suspended above the Riverbank State Park baseball fields, Reserve Marines of 4th Air-Naval Gunfire Liaison Company fast roped out of two helicopters yesterday as part of New York City’s 17th Annual Fleet Week.

During the first of five helicopter demonstrations scheduled during Fleet Week, more than 2,000 students from around the local public schools surrounded the landing zone welcoming the squadron with cheers and waves.

Transporting the 4th ANGLICO Marines from Floyd Bennet Field in Brooklyn, were two CH-46E Sea Knights from Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 774 stationed at Norfolk, Va.

“When the helicopters flew down and landed I thought I was going to fly away,” said Yaninys Mota, an elementary school student. “It was cool to see them slide down out of the helicopter. I had seen it happen on TV before, but it’s better in real life because you can feel the wind. That was the closest I have ever been to a helicopter when it was flying.”

Throughout Fleet Week hundreds of Marines and sailors will be putting on demonstrations to give attendees a better understanding of the capabilities and requirements for each military occupation.

“We wanted to emphasize what we have to do in a combat situation, get on the ground as fast as possible and set up a perimeter,” said Sgt. Ernest Bandiera, 4th ANGLICO. “Fast roping is an amazing experience. The feeling you get, you’re full of excitement, your heart’s pounding. It’s a rush.”

“We do this type of training all of the time,” said Lance Cpl. Matt Tweed, 4th ANGLICO. “Although it’s kind of crazy fast roping in the middle of Manhattan in front of a bunch of kids, hundreds came up to me asking for my autograph. Nothing like that ever happens around base, but here it felt like we were super heroes.”

After the area was secured and the two helicopters touched down, Marines walked among the swarm of students answering questions and posing for pictures, signing autographs, along with touring the two transport helicopters.

“All of the Marines have been really nice,” said David Gonzales, an elementary school student. “Four of them have autographed my poster. Hopefully someday I will be able to fly around in one of their helicopters.”

“This is actually my first time here in New York,” said Lance Cpl. Ernesto Rojas, 4th ANGLICO. “Seeing little kids that appreciate you is what I like most about being a Marine. It’s knowing that you have something worth fighting for and defending.”

Since the opening ceremony 17 years ago, several Marine Aircraft Group 42 units have participated in New York City’s Fleet Week allowing New Yorkers to see the components of the Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 773, the Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 142, and the Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 769.

After an hour and a half of talking and touring with students, both units loaded up onto the helicopters and flew back to Brooklyn.

“Our Marines are elated to have been able to come up to New York and experience Fleet Week,” said Maj. Andrew Ryan, operations officer, MAG-42 Detachment Bravo. “The support and enthusiasm that those kids had made everyone feel we were making a difference.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004528163913/$file/marine%20repelling%20lowres.jpg

A Marine from 4th ANGLICO practices repelling out of a CH-46E Sea King at Floyd Bennet Field before performing in front of more than 2,000 New York elementary and middle school students. Photo by: Cpl. Clinton Firstbrook

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004528164327/$file/autograph%20lowres.jpg

A Marine from 4th ANGLICO signs autographs for a few Manhattan elementary students while the CH-46E's rotor blades wind down after landing on the Floyd Bennet baseball field. Photo by: Cpl. Clinton Firstbrook

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004528164946/$file/perimeter%20lowres.jpg

Marines from 4th ANGLICO watch as another squad repels out of a CH-46E Sea King during a fast-rope demonstration during the 17th Annual Fleet Week. Photo by: Cpl. Clinton Firstbrook

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/484330FA2384DC5385256EA2006522F6?opendocument

Ellie