View Full Version : A Battle on the WWII Knowledge Front

thedrifter
05-28-04, 04:21 PM
A Battle on the WWII Knowledge Front
Time, Focus Limit Area Students' Learning
By Jay Mathews
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, May 28, 2004; Page B01

Tiffany Charles got a B in history last year at her Montgomery County high school, but she is not sure what year World War II ended. She cannot name a single general or battle, or the man who was president during the most dramatic hours of the 20th century.

Yet the 16-year-old does remember in some detail that many Japanese American families on the West Coast were sent to internment camps. "We talked a lot about those concentration camps," she said.

As Washington begins a massive Memorial Day weekend celebration of the new National World War II Memorial on the Mall, interviews with national education experts, teachers and more than 100 public school students suggest that Charles' limited knowledge of that momentous conflict is typical of today's youths.

Among 76 teenagers interviewed near their high schools this week in Maryland, Virginia and the District, recognition of the internment camps, a standard part of every area history curriculum, was high -- two-thirds gave the right answer when asked what happened to Japanese Americans during the war. But only one-third could name even one World War II general, and about half could name a World War II battle.

Diane Ravitch, an educational historian at New York University, said the big emphasis in high schools today is on the internment camps, as well as women in the workforce on the home front and discrimination against African Americans at home and in the armed services.

"Then, too, there was a war in the Atlantic and Pacific," she said.

Teachers and historians have been arguing for decades about how to teach World War II and other parts of American history. Many surveys, and interviews with students and teachers, indicate that there is less emphasis now on battles and victories, sparked in part by American failure in the Vietnam War, which had a significant impact on this generation of scholars and teachers.

At George Washington Middle School in Alexandria yesterday, seventh-grade history teacher Eric Bartels led his students through a spirited discussion of World War II that included mentions of Pearl Harbor, D-Day and other battles. But much of the emphasis was on the class's earlier visit to the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, a visit to the school by African American World War II pilots and the causes of several of the war's major events.

Instead of seeking the details of the Japanese assault on Hawaiian-based forces on Dec. 7, 1941, Bartels asked: "Why did Japan attack Pearl Harbor?"

He got a big response when he asked about American women entering the workforce: "Rosie the Riveter!" several students said.

Compared with other area students interviewed, Bartels's 23 students were somewhat less likely to know about the Japanese American internment camps (57 percent) but more likely to know that World War II had improved African American economic status (70 percent) and more likely to be able to name a battle in the war (86 percent).

Many teachers, including Bartels, say they emphasize the social, rather than the military, history of the war, a trend that extends to many universities and through both public and private schools.

Bryan Garman, principal of the Sidwell Friends Upper School in the District and a popular American history teacher, said "it is important to understand the political and social context -- the rise of Nazism, how the Germans got used to Hitler's leadership and to understand what was going on in Japan, too."

Other scholars warn that this approach can leave many students unclear on the details of the conflict and unable to understand what produced victory or defeat.

University of Missouri-St. Louis political scientist J. Martin Rochester, author of "Class Warfare: Besieged Schools, Bewildered Parents, Betrayed Kids and the Attack on Excellence," said he is happy to see a reduction in the flag-waving that accompanied history teaching when he was a student, "but we may now be going to the opposite extreme of schools highlighting the imperfections and flaws of America."

He said he is also concerned about class projects designed to engage student interest that leave little time for reading.

"I can recall my son in middle school being given an oral history assignment to interview some nuns who were at Pearl Harbor, and I was thinking how his time could be better spent reading Herbert Feis's work on Pearl Harbor or some other serious study of World War II," he said.

Mike Kirk, an American history teacher at Mount Vernon High School in Fairfax County, said he tries to combine projects and instruction in a way that helps students understand the sweep of the war.

When teaching a particular battle, he sometimes tells students to pretend they are soldiers and write a letter home describing what they saw. He said students are fascinated by the text of Civilian Exclusion Order No. 5, one of the documents used in the internment of Americans of Japanese descent.

Kirk said he follows the Virginia Standards of Learning, which specifically require instruction on the battles of Midway and Stalingrad, as well as the D-Day invasion and the dropping of the atomic bomb. The same standards require discussion of the African American Tuskegee Airmen, the Holocaust and the Japanese American internments.

"We do a lot more on the home front," Kirk said. "We talk about censorship of the media; we talk about rationing, war bonds, the draft." Angela L. Davis, the Advanced Placement American history teacher at C.H. Flowers High School in Prince George's County, said students are more likely to remember what they hear from real experts, such as the Tuskegee Airman her school is named after.

"We should have more guest speakers, from World War II veterans to military historians," she said.

Students and teachers say it is difficult to get deeply into World War II in just two-week units in world history and later American history. Molly Rogers, a senior at Washington-Lee High School in Arlington County, said: "We never really got to the bottom of it in any of the courses I took."

But Dan Fleming, professor emeritus of social science education at Virginia Tech, said his research shows that more high school time is given to World War II than the Korean or Vietnam wars.

"I would prefer to see high schools in America be required to have a class on 20th-century conflicts where World War II could be dealt with much more in depth than the two to three weeks a high school survey class can provide," said Philip Engle, who teaches world history at T.C. Williams High School in Alexandria. "High school students don't know enough about World War II because we don't let them."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61803-2004May27.html

Ellie

Lock-n-Load
05-29-04, 06:05 AM
Philip Engle speaks the truth....American history classes have just about vanished from school cirriculums and replaced with diversified histories from other continents...if a lack of coverage of WW2 is fading...how about the complete abstention on the Korean War coverage to American students...I lived and participated throught those American history decades, and we questioned the reasons why Acadamia remained silent to our queries...post WW2/Pres Truman made the American combat Armed Forces in Korea look...insignifigant... while Supreme Allied Commander [Far East Command] General Douglas MacArthur praised his US Eighth Army and Tenth Corps in it's heroic endeavor to free the oppressed nation of South Korea...our future remains uncertain if we ignore what took place in the past...American history should be REQUIRED reading from grammar school through senior high school...and this phony political correctness agenda should be dumped overboard!!...Why should the USA have to apoligize for making American history since 1620??. Semper Fi:marine:

benny rutledge
06-02-04, 02:16 PM
Serendipitous that "Drifter"would post that subject,In September I have been asked to be one of the speakers to a newly formed class at Belleville High School,that being MILITARY HISTORY.From experience I've learned most kids cannot effectively READ,WRITE or SPELL and have misgivings as to weather or not my talk will in any way enlighten them.I have been forewarned not to "Lecture"or try to "INSTRUCT" the class.I am only to speak on my Military experiences(all 4 years worth)I am quite the Aviation historian and well briefed on WW2 and Korea.To this day I am STILL learning about the 15 year mess I was part of.I have found comfort and insight in Gen H.(FIO)Norman Schwartzkopfs Biography"It doesnt take a Hero"His Story has taught me more about MyLai and Chu Lai than I ever hoped.I am struggling to put together an informative presentation that would not be INSTRUCTIVE but enlightening,entertaining and place Glory and Credit to our Corps.I was prepared to speak of USMC Aviation Heros(Foss,Boyington,Ted Williams)but teacher felt I wasn,t qualified(I,ve collected signed hardbacks since I was 8,met most aces including Yeager and Gunther Rall)So I'll just regale them with Boot Camp stories and bore them to tears(I hope not)Anyone out there been asked to do something similar?I have made page after page of good notes but unless the Teacher gives me some Latitude I'm going to Flame out in front of these kids.I'm Hoping my turn at the Lecturn goes well and I'm asked to return.With any luck I can convince the future CMC to enlist?!

lurchenstein
06-03-04, 12:59 AM
...Why should the USA have to apoligize for making American history since 1620??

Chris,
We definitely should not. There are certainly no spotless cultures or nations in the history of this planet. People are still coming here in droves from all over the world so this nation must have a great deal to offer.

Benny,
There's an organization in this area that suits up in WWII military uniforms (representing all branches) and delivers history lessons to the classrooms at local schools. I'll get a contact for you if you want it. Hope you'll continue with your presentation on Marine Corps Aviation. Present it from the heart & it will be good.

MillRatUSMC
06-03-04, 07:27 AM
History or should I say military history in our schools.
From something on the Community Veterans Memorial Park, a Memorial dedicated to those that fought our wars in the 20th Century;

"The one group that hasn't participated as we had hoped are the local schools. I tried to set something up with even one of the Munster schools, but that fell through."

Unquote

There's no interest because the teachers or the schools don't want to teach military history, they just want to the emphasize the social, rather than the military, history of the war.
They dead set against any teaching of war or discussion of weapons.

Another part I find interesting;

"High school students don't know enough about World War II because we don't let them."

Unquote

With that I rest my case...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

PS One cannot take any war out of its historical place in history!

benny rutledge
06-04-04, 01:05 PM
Lurchenstein,thanx for the tip and the "attaboy"I fully intend to make my talk informative and factual.I wonder how many of the kids know who Lt.William Calley was?The actions taken by his platoon at the villiage of MyLai gave us at ChuLai a lot to worry about.Come September I'll have my chance to reach out to these kids and I intend to make the most of it.

Lock-n-Load
06-04-04, 03:13 PM
:marine: Nice to hear from you...I hope Memorial Day was memorable to you...how's this for apples...CNN factoid states 51% of Americans honor Vets on Memorial Day; whereas, 49% of Americans DO NOT....WoW!!...how's that for modern/day apathy...Lurch, Gung-Ho, Marine :marine:

Osotogary
06-04-04, 06:02 PM
I was asked by a young lady at a party a while back how old I was. Instead of giving her an age reference, I said tha I had seen General MacArthur in a motorcade, as a child, in San Francisco.
She asked, "Who's General MacArthur?" I asked, "Do you remember the Korean War?" She replied, "The Korean War?" I asked her if she was taught American History in High School? She said that even though it was taught, she doesn't remember anything about the Korean War or World War II. I asked her where she went to High School and she said,"Miami". I told her that she should take some time and go to the library and take out some books or videos on World War II and the Korean War. I have a feeling that my suggestion didn't fit into her social calendar.

lurchenstein
06-06-04, 03:10 PM
Good project Benny. Here's a couple links. One is the local WWII history group. I'll find out if they're still active.
This Oral History project seems like a good resource (questions high school students may ask).
http://www.avpress.com/n/f/fasty17.hts (http://)
http://oralhistory.minds.tv/Veteran (http://)

Chris:
Also good to hear from you. Memorial Day was (and is) memorable here. Attended local Memorial Day services here in Lancaster. Happy to see a good turnout from both the young and old-timers. Wish the statistics were higher for keeping the true spirit of Memorial Day; however, good to know the majority of folks still remember. Note the pic of our local Marine Corps League Det. presenting the Candlelight Vigil.
http://www.avpress.com/p/mop1.jpg