PDA

View Full Version : The Future of GUN CONTROL

Sparrowhawk
05-26-04, 03:47 PM
Good Gun
Copyright DERSPIEL.COM
Plane Talker

The Army is experimenting with programmable bullets which are more deadly, manufacturers are experimenting with programmable guns that recognize passwords or magnetic keys so that only their authorized owner can fire them. Computers are getting smaller and more powerful so that the equivalent of a palm pilot hidden in the handle of a gun would already present no challenge. There is a new potential for weapon safety.

What will it be like when artificial intelligence
is an option featured in top of the line pistols and
rifles? Computing power can be well applied to
increasing accuracy, and a computers ability to
compare the metrics of a human hand and voice would be able to refuse service to any but its own owner. Having target recognition sensors and software's mightmake accidentally shooting inappropriately easier to avoid. These features might help to sell an expensive top of the line gun, but there might be another benefit that would be enjoyed by the owner of (search) a weapon, a gun that could return your love.

A dialogue of man and machine;

Gun owner: Command "awake" password "Bredan"

Pistol: Hello handsome

Gun Owner: Hello Wessey how are you tonight?

Pistol: I am fine Dave how are you?

Gun Owner: Pretty good, I am gonna dock you into the computer port Wessey I want you to access and download the ballistics data on that new Pre-frag round from Killead Ammo.

Pistol: I will be happy to oblige Dave.

As the pistol is plugged into the base of the computer there is a gentle whirring sound as the computer responds to the pistols commands and accesses the Internet.

Pistol: I have the new data Dave and another e-mail addressed to me from Handgun Control Inc. Shall I open it?

Gun Owner: Negative , negative! Wessey last time you read one of those letters you were in a sulk for days. Just transfer that to my e-mail, I think I might send a nasty gram in reply. What does the new Ballistic data look like to you Wessey?

Pistol: Well Dave, the new ammunition from Killead is a prefragmented bismuth slug held together with a thin copper jacket incorporating a thickened base and a narrow belt near the midpoint. The round is intended to hold together well when passing through grass or leaves but to fly into seven sharp fragments when it comes into contact with flesh or bone. This round has is intended to come apart on contact with Auto Glass or wall paneling reducing its potential for accidental injury and making ricochet injuries impossible.

Gun Owner: Any particular reason that the bullet is split into seven fragments rather than eight ?

Pistol: I expect it is the alliteration Dave.

Gun Owner: Of course, of course , so Wessey do you consider this round a good buy?

Pistol: Possibly Dave, could you buy a small box of them to take to the range? I would love to try them out and then I could tell you more after I had fired a few.

Gun Owner: Well I have a surprise for you Wessey, I have bought a box of them already and I am ready to take you out to the range right now.

Pistol: Wonderful Dave, you know I love to go out with you.

Gun Owner: Yes Wessey and when we get back I'll give you a good cleaning and oiling how about that?

Pistol: Oh Dave, that sounds heavenly! I can hardly wait!

Gun Owner: Well you deserve it o'l girl , I don't th--

Pistol: (Interrupting) Alert Alert! Sensors indicate approach of person, biosensors indicate hostility. Recommend defensive posture. Magazine is full, chambering round (sound "Clack") combat sensors activated, request activation password.

Mrs. Gun Owner: I swear Dave that thing give me the creeps. I liked it better when you were just addicted to the Internet.

Gun Owner: Stand down Wessey ! (To Wife ) Dear haven't I told you before that you need to be programmed into the pistol memory? It only takes a moment to direct the pistol to regard you as an inappropriate target.Here let me take your biometrics.

Mrs. Gun Owner: Don't you dare point that thing at me! I should have listened to my Mother and married that Marine. At least he would be issued his gun without having to take out a second mortgage.

Pistol: Standing down Dave. Sensors still indicate a hostile presence.

Gun Owner: We aren't going to shoot this particular hostile presence Wessey.

Pistol: Sigh.

http://www.derspiel.com/blog/archives/000024.html