PDA

View Full Version : Pendleton Marine killed in Iraq

thedrifter
05-26-04, 09:01 AM
Pendleton Marine killed in Iraq

By: Staff and wire reports

CAMP PENDLETON ---- A Southern California Marine based at Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base was killed in Iraq, military officials said Tuesday.

Staff Sgt. Jorge Molina Bautista of Rialto died in battle Sunday in the al Anbar province of Iraq, according to a release from the base.

Molina Bautista, 37, was an infantry unit leader assigned to the 1st Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force out of Pendleton.

The Marine's mother, Maria Bautista, said Tuesday that she believed in the war when her son first went to Iraq. His death changed her mind.

"Tell Mr. Bush, no more," Bautista said Monday, a day after her son was killed by hostile fire in Iraq's volatile Anbar province.

"Tell him that, as a mother, I am in great pain," she said. "I believed the reason for sending him the first time was justified. But the second time, I don't know. Enough. Too many mothers have suffered."

Molina Bautista had served in the Marines for 13 years and trained others as a drill sergeant at Camp Pendleton.

Born in Chihuahua, Mexico, Molina Bautista wanted from childhood to become a Marine, said his sister, Connie Molina, 41, of Highland.

"He believed in what he was doing," she said. "He was so proud. He's a hero."

Molina Bautista is survived by his wife, Dina, and three boys.

An internment was planned at Riverside National Cemetery.

Marines have been fighting heavy resistance to the U.S.-led occupation in the al Anbar region in western Iraq, according to reports. The area is predominantly Sunni Muslim and was a stronghold for former dictator Saddam Hussein.

Camp Pendleton Marines have patrolled the area since March when they replaced the Army's 82nd Airborne Division.

Molina Bautista's awards included the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, the Combat Action Ribbon, the Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, the Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal, the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, the Sea Service Deployment Ribbon and the Marine Corps Recruiting Ribbon.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/05/26/military/17_21_575_25_04.txt

Ellie

G.L.B.
05-26-04, 09:29 AM
It doesn't seem fair that now she is lashing out at Bush and the war on terror because it hit home. She agreed to it all until her son was KIA. She should be proud of her son and swallow the pain. Be strong for her family, and realize he gave his all for his family, country and corps.
Semper Fi brother and may God be with you.