PDA

View Full Version : The Community Veterans Memorial Park

MillRatUSMC
05-25-04, 07:41 PM
http://www.geocities.com/millrat_99/cmem.html

I know that I place this link here before.
Some might question my fixation on that Memorial Park, in Munster, Indiana.
Once while coming back with my daughter and daughter-in-law, we had gone to get my daughter-in-law.
It was a cold winter night, I saw that Memorial Park lit-up.
It was snowing rather heavy, so no way to stop.
When the weather broke, I made a ride to that Memorial Park.
It was still under construction and no where what it is now.
Later I made the dedication of the Community Veterans Memorial Park, I took some pictures.
It was than that I decided to make a web page to that Memorial Park, it has since than became a site because I've linked several pages to the orginal web page.
Last year I made a few trips back before winter set in.
Now that the weather has broken. I been back a couple times.
Besides the exercise I get from riding my mountain bike there.
Now the part that some might relate to.
Times I catch myself think about the men that I served with in Vietnam.
The other parts, I think of Marines that I come to know, who served before and after my time of service.
Around the path are pavers with dates of history since the late 1900 to now because this Memorial Park covers the wars that the United States fought in the 2oth Century.
To date there's nothing from Afghanistan or Operation Iraqi Freedom I and II.
A favorite paver of mine is one that reads;
"The price of Freedom is buried in the ground!"
From my war;
I remember days when we were humping several clicks and our loads were so heavy.
When we took a break for a minute or two.
All I could do was kneel in place.
Because I knew the next sound was going to be "Settle-up, we're moving out!"
So when I walk around the Memorial Park, especially when no one there, the thoughts of men who I served it come to my mind. Some who really just teens, who had enlisted when many of their peers were protesting or running away to Canada or Europe to wait out the war.
Some of those young men I help carry to a medvac point.
Some were going to a hospital other were going to grave registerations before their remains made the long trip back home.
This was 1967, so there many remains returning, so many never took notice, some just didn't care.
So I hope this will explain why I return to a Memorial Park dedicated to those that served, even Rosie the Riveter.

MillRatUSMC
05-27-04, 11:36 PM
Found this in my newspaper today;

Memorable Memorial Days of the Region

CALUMET ROOTS with Archibald McKinlay

Let's call the coming eight days "Memorial Week," since there's more going on than can be squeezed into one day. And at the top of the list of "things to do" put down Community Veterans Memorial Park in Munster. I'm not one to get excited over inflated names, but I will hereby state that the park is the most interesting memorial I've ever experienced. And it's free!

Apart from the usual bells and whistles, and there are plenty of those, what makes the Munster facility so interesting is that every major military event of the 20th century is put into context. You're exposed to the event, but you're also exposed to things that nurture and enrich it. If you're a young person in school, that's manna from heaven. So often in school, your history teacher serves up events cold. Memorial Park surrounds the event with cultural interest to make it real and memorable. So be there. You won't be disappointed.

Must explain who Archibald McKinlay is, he a local historian of history in northwest Indiana, which also known as the "Calumet Region".
Some just know it as the "Region" so that part of the title of his column.
There was more in that column but it dealt with history of a few cities up here.
Words and a few photos can do justice to the beauty of this Veterans Memorial Park.
It's not only linear but it's also has some height, World War II is the highest point, as it happen in the middle of the 20th Century.
At the entrance there's several Flag poles, one for each service plus one for the National Colors, the State Flag of Indiana, one for POW/MIA flag and one for the Community Hospital sponsors of this Veterans Memorial Park.
I have so many photos of the Veterans Memorial Park, that it's hard choosing a few for my site.
Well, enough of this, just wanted to shre someone else thoughts on the Community Veterans Memorial Park in Munster, Indiana...

"A man or woman is measured
by the footprint,
he or she leaves behind".

"They were the best you had, America,
and you turned your back on them".
~ Joe Galloway ~ Speaking about Vietnam Veterans

"The price of Freedom is buried in the ground."
~ Author Unknown ~

TO THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
THAT OTHERS MAY SAY PROUDLY
I AM A MARINE

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

MillRatUSMC
05-27-04, 11:41 PM
It should read;
Words and a few photos cannot do justice to the beauty of this Veterans Memorial Park.

Also a correction;
Well, enough of this, just wanted to share someone else thoughts on the Community Veterans Memorial Park in Munster, Indiana...

Sorry...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

MillRatUSMC
05-28-04, 01:42 PM
http://nwitimes.com/content/articles/2004/05/28/news/top_news/32c554fcedcc951e86256ea2000d0e1e.jpg

Jeff Furticella / The TImes Munster Historical Society members Edwin Lebryk and Ed Kritzer lean in for a closer look Thursday at one of the statues at the Community War Memorial in Munster.

It's in the news again today, it's fitting since this weekend is the start of Memorial Day observance to honor those killed in our wars , now many observe the passing of friend and kin.

MUNSTER -- Thousands of people are expected to visit the Community War Memorial on Monday in two different observances to view its tributes to all of the American wars of the 20th century.

It will be one of many places hosting remembrances on Memorial Day of American soldiers killed in wars. One group, the Munster Historical Society, got a head start on the weekend by conducting its meeting Thursday evening at the 8.5-acre site. Over the last year, the memorial has become a destination point for community groups and individuals.

More than 100,000 people have viewed the Community Veterans Memorial since it opened June 1, 2003, said Don Johnson, superintendent of the memorial. He said that is a number that surprises even those involved with the project.

"In decent weather, we get 300 to 400 people out there per day," Johnson said. "People have signed our guest book from 40 of the 50 states and nine foreign countries. I've seen people crying out here. It evokes such a feeling, especially for people who have been in a war."

The $3.5 million memorial is thought to be the only memorial of its kind, he said.

"From the beginning, one of the overriding themes of this memorial was the educational aspects," Johnson said. "This memorial is really an education about the 20th century."

Each war has a dedicated memorial, along with changes in the landscape, which reflect the actual geography of the terrain where the war took place. The memorials are linked by pathways illustrated with 435 facts.

"We wanted to have a tour with our own group," said JoAnne Shafer, of the Munster Historical Society. "To me, it's a great place to meditate. It's kind of a special place to go for your own purpose. What better place to go on Memorial Day? It seemed to be very appropriate for our meeting."

While Johnson gives group tours, he said there are always people who don't ask for a guide, but simply view the memorial at their own pace.

"The interest is very high. I've driven by and seen buses here, but people don't know who to contact," Johnson said. "The one group that hasn't participated as we had hoped are the local schools. I tried to set something up with even one of the Munster schools, but that fell through."

The first high school class to tour the memorial came from Harrison High School in West Lafayette in October.

A teacher for 12 years, Munster native Kathy Nimmer was visiting her parents Bill and Mary Ann Hiller last summer when they took her to visit the memorial. Because Nimmer cannot see, they described the scenes from the major military conflicts of the 20th century.

"From the minute I walked in, I knew there could be a possible connection for my high school English class," Nimmer said in October. "The feeling there was so solemn and dignified as I walked through everything and touched the statues."

For those who choose to go through the memorial at their own pace, there soon will be a message repeater system before each memorial, so visitors can hear a narrative about what they are seeing. A shelter also will be constructed this summer, which will house restrooms and a performance stage. So far, 2,500 memorial bricks are in place, with 475 new orders over the past six months.

"When I take people through, I explain the pictures on the granite, the reason we've used certain items," Johnson said. "I talk about the process and why it cost $100,000 for a statue. I tell them about Beatty (Machine of Hammond) making the machine guns used and finding the tail of the helicopter."

Johnson said the Lake County Convention and Visitors Bureau named the memorial the 2003 attraction of the year. The memorial also is featured on its brochure.

"A Vietnam vet picked up a brochure at a highway stop and drove out, said it has to be the best memorial in the country," Johnson said. "There is also a World War II veteran, he's got to be 80, who is frequently at the site or in the parking lot. He is waiting there with his scrapbook, talking with people, he wants to share his story."

The memorial is located in the southwest portion of Munster, at the corner of Columbia and Calumet avenues, located about 2 miles south of the Borman Expressway. To arrange a group tour, contact Johnson at (219) 836-0130.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

PS I in a pit, deciding on which to attend besides the ones that I'll be part of the Color Guard

JAMarine
05-28-04, 02:36 PM
Thanks Brother.

Good Reading.