PDA

View Full Version : WWII veterans practice jumps for D-Day event:3 prepare to take plunge next month ove

thedrifter
05-25-04, 07:43 AM
WWII veterans practice jumps for D-Day event

3 prepare to take plunge next month over Normandy
By Michael Burge
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
May 20, 2004

LAKE ELSINORE – The air under the parachutes of three World War II veterans lifted their spirits as they coasted earthward yesterday in their quest to prove they are fit enough to jump over Normandy, France, next month to commemorate D-Day.

On Tuesday, the trio learned that the mayor of Sainte-Mere-Eglise, Normandy, gave them permission to parachute June 7, the day after the official two-day ceremony to mark the 60th anniversary of D-Day.

But one veteran, 83-year-old Richard "Red" Falvey, dislocated his left shoulder on his second descent at Skylark Airport, raising doubts about whether he will be able to jump next month.

His two comrades passed their two qualifying jumps yesterday with little incident.

To qualify, they and five other veterans around the country must perform two jumps, have medical clearance and sign a waiver of liability, said Richard Mandich, 79, of San Diego, who jumped yesterday.

Falvey said he hurt his arm in the early stages of his second jump, although he wasn't sure how, but he managed to make a one-armed landing. He was banged up but smiling after hitting the ground hard.

"It's just a dislocation and that doesn't amount to a hill of beans," said Falvey, of Hammondsport, N.Y., adding that he still wanted to do the Normandy jump.

Ed Dickinson of Skydive Elsinore, the group's instructor, said a physician would have to determine whether Falvey, who was taken to a doctor, is fit to jump at Normandy.

His first jump was incident-free.

"It was the most wonderful jump I ever had," Falvey declared moments after touching down.

The three veterans are all former members of the 101st Airborne Division who jumped during combat during World War II.

Mandich, who is president of the national group Return to Normandy and lives in Loma Portal, snagged a windsock on a pole on his first landing but was unhurt.

"I couldn't hit that windsock if I tried," he deadpanned afterward.

Dick Case, 83, of Las Vegas, lay still for a minute after hitting the ground hard on his first jump, giving those watching a scare, but he was fine.

"I didn't land, I clobbered," he joked.

Mandich still hopes the group can parachute during the official ceremonies for D-Day anniversary June 5 and 6 in France, but the U.S. Army Europe, which is handling the U.S. part of the ceremony for the two days, has not given them permission.

Moreover, the schedule favors the veterans jumping June 7. France is awarding two who want to make the jump with the Legion of Honor on June 5, so they likely would be unavailable to jump that day, said Dr. Bettina Experton, a physician for Return to Normandy. And 600 active-duty members of the 82nd and 101st Airborne divisions are jumping June 6, leaving little room on the program for the veterans during the two-day ceremony.

A spokesman for the Army said organizers feared for the veterans' safety and the potential public-relations disaster should one of them get hurt.

A 79-year-old veteran, Rolland Duff, was killed when his parachute failed during a practice jump for the 50th anniversary of V-E Day in Moscow, May 1945.

Falvey remembered the incident well because he was next to jump and almost had selected Duff's parachute.

"I was kissed by angels," he said.

The three silver-haired veterans, all of whom appear to be healthy and in good shape, want to honor their World War II comrades, especially those who never made it home.

"(D-Day) was a very important date," said Case, noting that if the Normandy invasion had failed, the Allies would have been driven into the sea and Nazi Germany probably would have won the war.

"Had it not succeeded it would be a different world today," Case said. "All these guys that gave their lives, I'd like them remembered."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Burge: (760) 476-8230; michael.burge@uniontrib.com

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/military/20040520-9999-7m20jump.html

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040520/images/2004-05-20jump2.jpg

CHARLIE NEUMAN / Union-Tribune
Veterans (from left) Richard Mandich of San Diego, Richard "Red" Falvey of New York and Dick Case of Las Vegas learned Tuesday they would be allowed to parachute next month in Normandy, France.

Ellie