PDA

View Full Version : Does Infantry travel alot?

Kelvin Quinonez
05-22-04, 12:11 PM
Just want to know if infantry Marines get to travel alot?

Phantom Blooper
05-22-04, 02:59 PM
It all depends on where the Marine Corps wants you to go. You can travel by plane,ship,helicopter,and by different modes of transportation. Mostly in the infantry you use your legs and feet. You will find yourself in some of the most exotic paradises in the world and you may also find yourself in some of the worlds worst. With the situation in the world today you may not get to go on a "Cruise" but if you do you can find yourself in the Med or the Orient and a number of countries in between.You may find yourself on MSG or Barracks Duty which will give you an op for traveling if you are not in a "hot" country. Rest assured if you are Marine material regardless of MOS you will get your fair share of traveling,unless you happen to pull your whole tour CONUS. Semper-Fi!! Chuck Hall :marine:

cny95221
05-22-04, 03:04 PM
Listen to the Hymn. Bill, Mike Co. 3/26

Super Dave
05-22-04, 03:23 PM
Kinda like...
Used to drive a Cadillac....Now I'm humping with a pack..

Kalbo
05-22-04, 04:42 PM
Super Dave,

That was my favorite. Do you remember more to it? Not trying to put the kid down, infantry sure as hell don't stay put.

Bill

Super Dave
05-22-04, 04:53 PM
Oww yes..i do have FOND memories of "humpin with a pack". It does depend on what unit you are with, but you do get a lot of time in the field..etc...

Kelvin Quinonez
05-22-04, 06:52 PM
Cool, thanks alot.

Kelvin Quinonez
05-22-04, 06:57 PM
How many countries have you been to? Marines.

Super Dave
05-22-04, 08:35 PM
Spain, Italy, France, Korea, Japan, Puerto Rico, Hounderus, Tunisia, Okinowa, Tunsia..I think that covers it...

CPLRapoza
05-22-04, 09:00 PM
Japan, Korea, Thailand, China, Austrailia, Uruguay, and Paraguay, tha pretty much covers it for me.

Kelvin Quinonez
05-22-04, 11:07 PM
Were all of these trips with the Corps? Missions? What MOS do you guys have?

HardJedi
05-22-04, 11:28 PM
Let's see, not that all of these are independent countris as such

Guam, Tinian, Saipan, Rota, Bali, Austrailia, Korea, Japan,
Haiti, Truk

Most were for one dyuty station or another, or training, with a couple for R&R and a Couple as deployments

CPLRapoza
05-23-04, 04:36 AM
Exact same reasons as Jedi, half were for 0311, the other my 8152 billet

jryanjack
05-23-04, 06:04 AM
With the Corps I've been to - in no particular order - Norway, Spain, France, Portugal, Italy, Turkey, Israel, Lebanon (off the coast), Puerto Rico, Okinawa, and the Philippines.

HardJedi
05-23-04, 03:43 PM
good LORD! NORWAY!~ I Forgot NORWAY! course, when all there is is a big ass ice feild for 4 weeks, pretty easy to forget!

Sparrowhawk
05-23-04, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Kelvin Quinonez
Just want to know if infantry Marines get to travel alot?

From the Halls of Montezuma
To the Shores of Tripoli;

We have fought in ev'ry clime and place
Where we could take a gun;

In the snow of far-off Northern lands
And in sunny tropic scenes;

You will find us always on the job--
The United States Marines.

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/marine.htm

Kalbo
05-23-04, 06:15 PM
Singapore, Somalia, Kenya, Burundi, Australia (down under) and Dugway, Utah (JK)

Bill

Kelvin Quinonez
05-23-04, 06:43 PM
thats cool

Tom D
05-23-04, 07:53 PM
I was on "THE ROCK" for six months,spent one week at Coronado,one month at Bridgeport(Mountain Warfare Training Center),6 months FAPat the Rifle Range,6 weeks at NCO School,and one week at Naval Gunfire School.

leroy8541
05-23-04, 11:06 PM
Phillipines, California, Panama, Honduras, Columbia, Okinawa, Korea, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, Japan, Germany, Diego Garcia, Australia, Thailand, Guam, I can't remember the rest I'll have to go dig out my seabag I got it all wrote down there. Singapore U.A.E. 0300, 2west-pacs, and barracks duty in the P.I., Desert Storm, Jungle warfare training at Ft. Sherman Panama I guess we got to travel Quite alot I never really thought about it that much.

Kelvin Quinonez
05-23-04, 11:26 PM
Does every Infantry Marine go through jungle warfare training?

cjwright90
05-24-04, 05:50 AM
PISC, NC, Guam, Okinawa, MtFuji-All duty stations. Missed going to Subic Bay on liberty because the C130 lost one engine. Turned around and landed. That was from Guam. Rumoured to be going to Thailand, but it never came through.

DSchmitke
05-24-04, 09:25 AM
Okinawa, England. Korea, Norway, Germany, Italy, Greece, Thailand, Philippines, Austriland, Guam, Wake Island.

arnoldyG/2/5
05-24-04, 10:25 AM
Okinawa, Korea, China, Thailand, Bali, Australia, Kenya, UAE

Kelvin Quinonez
05-26-04, 12:42 PM
Any of you ever been to Guatemala?

usmc03wannabe
05-30-04, 12:30 AM

BUMP for ya I'm curious on this myself

HardJedi
05-30-04, 04:28 AM
no. at least we didn't used to. Went through alot of other crap though. Cold weather in Norway. Desert in 29 Palms. Believe me, if you get stationed at Lejune, in july, those swamps can be as bad as alot of jungles.

mrbsox
05-30-04, 07:03 AM

Probably luck of the draw. I did Jungle and cold weather (Fort Drumm), had budds that did 29 'stumps' twice. I never did desert.

PISC, ITS at Pendelton, 3/4 at Okinawa, WESPAC; (Phillipines, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore), 3/6 at LeJeune, Ft. Drumm, MED (Italy, Greece, Sicily), Gitmo.

SSgtOfMarines
05-30-04, 09:54 AM
Okinawa, Korea, Thailand, australia, Phillipines, Hong Kong, Mainland Japan, California, Georgia, Cuba, Kuwait, Iraq, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Ireland, Germany...... most as part of the BLT

ROD_S.O.D.
06-01-04, 01:58 AM
Yeah....by foot, it's called "humping"!

MEU Marine
06-18-04, 09:51 AM
Desert Storm (Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, Bahrain)
Med Float (Italy, Spain, Turkey, Bosnia, Greece)
Westpac Float (Hawaii, Singapore, Hong Kong, Somalia, Kenya, Burundi, Australia)
Westpac Again (Hawaii, Singapore, Jordan, UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait, Australia)
Tour in England (England, Germany, Belgium, Wales, Ireland, France, Holland, Scotland, Portugal, Spain, Malta, Iceland)
Bosnia Deployment (Bosnia, Serbia)
Kosovo Deployment (Macedonia, Serbia, Kosovo)
Med Float (England, Germany, Italy, Macedonia, Kosovo, Djibouti, Malta, Spain, UAE, Bahrain, Jordan, Yemen, Oman, Qatar, Pakistan, Iraq)
MTTs (Croatia, Azerbaijan)

What a long strange trip it's been....... and the hits keep coming.

Semper Fi.

Namvet67
06-18-04, 10:06 AM
Yea, but you love it Marine. Oorah Semper Fi ! Gary