PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded draft

Tracker
05-21-04, 02:09 PM
What do you think, do we need the return of the draft? I say yes. The reason... with the draft almost every American family gets envolved in this war in a much more direct manner. Right or wrong, the return of the draft, without any deferments, will either bring the full resources, financial power, industrial power, and brain power, of this great country to bear on this war or we will be out of there most ricki-tic.

enviro
05-21-04, 03:25 PM
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks that nothing is worth war, is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill ~ (1868)

I disagree with making men fight. Right now, we are a professional organization. We are professional fighters. We are the best at what we do.

I want to be fighting with men and women who want to be there with me.

Would you want a doctor who was forced to go to medical school operate on you?

I do think America needs to toughen up somehow.

yellowwing
05-21-04, 05:44 PM
If it were not an election year, I'd say yes. It's too much of a poltical football now.

I think the next step would be to process the first 3 'numbers' of the Selective Service registry for medical evaluations. Or something along those lines.

The FBI I recently released a threat warning of CONUS suicide bombers. Public transporation is perceived at risk. Such an incident would warrant increased security and a draft. There would not be as much fuss about patriotics feelings.

eddief
05-22-04, 12:12 AM
Conscription is forced servitude plain and simple. This libertarian is against the draft.

paul g fleming
05-22-04, 08:19 AM
We need to get these turkeys off the streets