PDA

View Full Version : OK What's going on?

MillRatUSMC
05-20-04, 07:49 PM
http://www.comcast.net/News/INTERNATIONAL//XML/1107_AP_Online_Regional___Middle_East/c551b374-2c30-4dab-a139-818590d97ba0.html

This seem to me, like the coup against Diem in 1963 except the figure in this raid will live another day.
Before you tell me Ricardo, Iraq can't compare to Vietnam.
Examine the facts, while Vietnam was aided by the Soviet Union, China, Cuba and several minor communists nations.
The insurgents in Iraq, might be supplied aid and weapons from many countries with muslims populations, such as Syria, Iran, Suadi Arabia...you get idea
Now we days from turning over sovereignty to some Iraqi's, to form an intermin government till elections can be held in 2005.
I for question what do they hope to gain with all these attacks on the west, including the United States.
We buy a great deal of their oil, attacking a customer isn't the way to do business.
We should invest on different fuels or energy to drive our automobiles, to rid us of our dependy of oil.
Because I don't see us getting rid of our cars.
Another thing, there's no clear cut leader at the moment.
Will anybody step forward, and will he or she be welcomed by the Iraqi's.
I'm just a little no body, that has these questions on my mind.
I see no clear cut answers to what we face in Iraq.
Maybe I'll look back on this as a non-issue a few years from now if God allows me to...

Sparrowhawk
05-20-04, 09:41 PM
. I told them to get out." He said a gunbattle between his guards and the policemen was avoided by a "hair's breadth."

Police seized documents related to the oil-for-food program, a report by the Oil Ministry to the Governing Council and letters from the council, Chalabi said. He said a "valuable" copy of the Quran and worry beads were also taken away.

Worry beads?

These people are most corrupt, most self serving, people on the surface of the earth.

eddief
05-20-04, 10:11 PM
We need to let those damn ragheads take care of their own ****ant country. Screw those camel jockey f@#$!

LONEEAGLE
05-22-04, 12:52 PM
This plan to take out Sad Dam Insane was a great idea. But, it was like, "Okay (from the top) we got 'em, now what?" How much longer will it take for the current administration to realize, there will be terrorist attacks, other countries sending their idiots, long after we're gone, if we go at all, i.e. S/Korea? You dam right it's like the Nam. One, you don't know who to trust, they all seem to dress, look alike, and nobody with any brains will give up a fighter, suicide bomber, if they want to live. So what's the Plan Mr. President? More speeches about Terrorist? Why not bring our military home and for once guard the U.S.? I'm sick of the U.S. sending troops to a foreign place gettin' killed for what? What, tell me what? Oil? Freedom? Who's freedom? This entire mess is absolutely ignorant. I hope our men/women will get home soon.

d c taveapont
05-22-04, 05:32 PM
Brother Amen to that...

Eaglestrikes
05-23-04, 10:08 PM
This plan to take out Sad Dam Insane was a great idea. But, it was like, "Okay (from the top) we got 'em, now what?" How much longer will it take for the current administration to realize, there will be terrorist attacks, other countries sending their idiots, long after we're gone, if we go at all, i.e. S/Korea? You dam right it's like the Nam. One, you don't know who to trust, they all seem to dress, look alike, and nobody with any brains will give up a fighter, suicide bomber, if they want to live. So what's the Plan Mr. President? More speeches about Terrorist? Why not bring our military home and for once guard the U.S.? I'm sick of the U.S. sending troops to a foreign place gettin' killed for what? What, tell me what? Oil? Freedom? Who's freedom? This entire mess is absolutely ignorant. I hope our men/women will get home soon.

I for one grow very tired of people trying to compare this to Viet Nam. I was there for three tours. It is not the same and never will be. That was our war. leave it alone. Find another to play with. In Nam we were not fighting against the rulers of South Viet Nam. In Nam they did not commit acts of terrorism involving Gas and Poisons against their minorities. (Yards)
In Nam we had politicians micromanaging the war. In Nam we had people in sillyvillian positions that kept interfering with the military. There is no Westmoreland to proclaim a "light at the end of the tunnel." No it is not comparable. You can compare many events from many wars if you choose to make the comparison's.
Find another war. Leave mine alone.

Why not bring our military home and for once guard the U.S.? That is asinine. What are you talking about? Since 911 what attacks have taken place that requires ALL of the Military here? The best defense is a good offense. We are drawing them into Iraq and killing them THERE. I say keep it up. They (Enemy) are having a hard time getting it together. Good!Job well done!

I'm sick of the U.S. sending troops to a foreign place gettin' killed for what
And who are you? Are you bleeding for all the troops? That is a trite and banal statement to make. How about what the rest of us think? That carry any import? How about how the troops feel about it? That statement displayed selfishness and arrogance.
As to the rest of your statement. No. You don't know do you? Freedom has a taste those in captivity can never know. Those who have freedom don't understand how they got it. They just know they can use it. But they don't know what it means. You apparently don't know.

MillRatUSMC
05-23-04, 10:33 PM
Eaglestrikes, we were in the same war,
"if we chose to forget the past, we bound to make the same mistakes."
Someone made that statement.
Not all is the same in Iraq as what we saw or endured in Vietnam.
But somethings are the same, some should seek to learn what we learn the hard way.
The insurgents need the Iraqi's to survive, how do you tell one from the other, only way if he is carrying a weapon of some sorts.
Booby traps go by a different name but they will kill you by whatever name they go by.
I was talking about long borders, that we can't patrol even with drone aircraft.
In Afghanistan, we been hunting bin laden for over two to three years.
We came close to catching one of his assistants.
I have heard much on how close we're to catching bin laden.
Even if he needs treatment for his kidneys.
I don't believe anyone wants to use the term;
"We at the end of the tunnel."
But we're using;
"We will be turning over governing of Iraq to intermin government till elections can be held in January of 2005."
So I go back to my question;
"What's going on?"

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

MillRatUSMC
05-23-04, 10:35 PM
Small correction;
I haven't heard much on how close we're to catching bin laden.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

Sparrowhawk
05-24-04, 08:00 AM
Everyday we get closer to catching Bin Laden, everyday we kill more and more of his clonies.

The president said, in his speech right after 9-11, that he would fight terrorism and those who harbor and support them and hold those countries responsible. We know Iraq did that as well as Iran and Syria among others.

Iraq was one of the best testing grounds for us to fight this war against terrorism, for one thing not many Arab leaders liked Saddam and neither do his people.

I have no doubt that if we were not fighting them in Iraq, they would be trying desperately here to cause further terror in America.

It’s still only a matter of time before they do strike again, and then will we join Spain and French and try to live in peace with terrorist according to their rules.

We need to stop watching CNN

Eaglestrikes
05-24-04, 08:27 AM
"if we chose to forget the past, we bound to make the same mistakes."
We have not chosen to forget the past. We (anyone) is going to make mistakes. Regardless of whether or not we use history as an example. This WAR clearly indicates that we have learned lessons. Widen the focus. The WAR is not in Iraq. It is worldwide. Afghanistan, Philippines, Malaysia, Yemen, and on and on. What is going on in Iraq is one battle. We have drawn the enemy in and we are kicking their ass. The fighting is taking place in Najaf not San Francisco, Kabul not Atlanta, Fallujah not Chicago. We have learned lessons. It would appear you want 100% application. Not possible.
But somethings are the same, some should seek to learn what we learn the hard way
What are you referring to specifically? CAP? Civil Affairs? CUPP's.
Over 90% of Iraq is peaceful and doing well. That is not what is being, or is going to be, reported. The media focuses on the explosions, and deaths, making it seem like life over there is full of strife and contention. It is not.
The insurgents need the Iraqi's to survive, how do you tell one from the other, only way if he is carrying a weapon of some sorts
In WWII the Partisans wore, and for the most part were civilians, in civilian clothing. Some fought for the Allies some for the Communist, and some for the Nazis. What are you or anyone else going to do about it? You do the best you can, but you don't give up simply because the going gets rough or you have a difficult mission ahead of you.
I was talking about long borders, that we can't patrol even with drone aircraft.
You could be talking about our own Borders. No one has a perfect answer for the problems, you just do the best you can.
As to catching Bin laden. If we do we do. He is not free to roam around and life is difficult for him. We have disrupted his chain of communication and that has had an effect. Again widen the focus, Osama is not the only, or even, at this point, the primary objective. Taking out as many Al Queda as possible is, along with their allies. We are doing just that. We are turning over governing functions to an interim Government. No one said we were pulling out or that, that was the end of it. There is no simile
If you choose to see this as a disaster then so be it. That is personnel perspective. The facts say the opposite. Comparing this war to any war is an exercise in futility. It must be, and is being, fought differently. It is worldwide. Spain found that out, then showed their colors and ran. Now the Basque Separatist want and demand more, with threats of more bombings. It must be fought worldwide. I support this War. I don't always agree with the actions but I am not going to pull my support or change my mind about it. I know what is gong on. We are fighting for survival. We are taking the Battle to the enemy. That is what is going on.

Sparrowhawk
06-02-04, 02:32 PM
Jun 2, 2:00 PM (ET)

By JOHN SOLOMON

WASHINGTON (AP) - The FBI is investigating who in the U.S. government leaked information to former Iraqi exile Ahmad Chalabi that made its way into the hands of the Iranian government, potentially damaging American efforts to monitor Tehran's activities, government officials said Wednesday.

The officials, who would speak only on condition of anonymity because the information remained classified, said the U.S. government has evidence that Chalabi or his followers told Iran that Washington had cracked some of it secret codes for transmitting sensitive information. In Najaf, Iraq, Chalabi told The Associated Press that the reports he leaked such information to Iran are "false" and "stupid."

"Where would I get this from?" Chalabi asked. "I have no such information. How would I know anything about that? That's stupid from every aspect."

Chalabi and other Shiite Muslim figures are in Najaf to try to shore up a cease-fire between U.S. troops and radical Shiite militiamen.

In Washington, the official speaking on condition of anonymity said that a raid last month on Chalabi's home inside Iraq was conducted to determine how the leader of the Iraqi National Congress got the information and whom he shared it with. The FBI is already trying to determine if someone in the U.S. government gave the information to Chalabi, which would be a criminal offense for leaking highly classified material, the official said.

CBS News initially reported Tuesday that Chalabi had told an Iranian intelligence official that the United States had cracked its codes, allowing U.S. agents to read Iran's secret communications. Revealing such information would expose one of the United States' most important sources of information about Iran.

Following the broadcast report, The New York Times, Los Angeles Times and The Washington Post followed with similar stories, all quoting anonymous U.S. intelligence officials.

Appearing on NBC"s "Today" show Wednesday, national security adviser Condoleezza Rice said: "I actually can't comment on this story. I don't know about its veracity or not. I'm sure if there is anything there, it will be investigated."

The New York and Los Angeles papers said they had learned some details of widely reported U.S. assertions last month that Chalabi had given classified material to Iran, but had agreed not to publish those details at the request of U.S. officials who said to do so would endanger an ongoing investigation.

The two papers said those requests to withhold the information they had gathered were withdrawn Tuesday when other news accounts began appearing.

A CIA official declined to comment on the reports Tuesday night.

American officials quoted in the news reports said Chalabi told the Baghdad chief of the Iranian spy service that the United States was reading its communications and that the Iranian spy described the conversation in a message to Tehran, which was intercepted by U.S. intelligence.

The New York Times account said Iranians in Tehran then sent a bogus message to Baghdad purportedly disclosing the location of an important weapons site, in an apparent attempt to test whether what they were hearing from Chalabi was true.

The idea was that if the United States was able to intercept such transmissions, Americans would react by going to the weapons site. They intercepted the message, according to the Times, but did not take the bait by going to the weapons site.

Chalabi reportedly told the Iranian he had he had gotten the information from an American who had been drunk.

FBI agents were reported to be questioning Defense Department officials in an effort to find out who gave such information to Chalabi.

Chalabi, a member of the Shiite Islamic sect to which the majority of Iranians and Iraqis belong, once was a favorite of Pentagon officials.

He had provided intelligence to the Bush administration about weapons of mass destruction, which was used to justify the U.S. war against Iraq, but his information came under major criticism after no weapons were found.

The CIA has long been suspicious of Chalabi's INC, but he had maintained strong supporters in other government agencies.

Until last month, his organization was on the U.S. government payroll, receiving roughly $340,000 a month from the Defense Department for intelligence under a specific authorization from Congress.

While refusing to discuss the new intelligence report, Rice did talk in general terms about U.S. ties to Chalabi.

"We had a relationship with Mr. Chalabi and his INC (Iraqi National Congress) during a time when the Iraqi Liberation Act of 1998 put a high premium on trying to find a way to overthrow Saddam Hussein and to bring about regime change in Iraq," she told NBC, "and there were a number of organizations with which the United States had a relationship, including the INC. "

But Rice also said that President Bush "made very clear that the United States had no (opposition) force, so to speak, that it was backing. ..made very clear that Mr. Chalabi would have to make his way on the basis of his relationship with the Iraqi people - and that's still the case today."

Rice said she was "quite certain that the United States was absolutely vigilant in the way it should have been. ... We did have a relationship and it has been strained of late."

---__

Associated Press writer Mariam Fam contributed to this report from Najaf, Iraq

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20040602/D82V1BBO0.html

d c taveapont
06-02-04, 06:22 PM
I have said this before i have a friend who works at a airport and they were told that the terrorist are here already and we know who they are BUT we can't arrest them because they have not broken any laws...So what do we do just stand by and watch them go about their business every day...

GySgtRet
06-02-04, 09:49 PM
d c taveapont,

Complacency is rampant still. How much more inocent blood has to be spilled before the authorities act? The people that knew before 9/11 didn't do anything and we all know what happened that day because they haven't or hadn't done anything yet. WTF?
DAMN...!!!!