PDA

View Full Version : OK, Where's all the traffic...

gunnyg
09-23-02, 10:37 AM
on this board?

Fact is, I'm surprised there is so few people hitting this board--or am I wrong?

I understand that many people are reluctant to post on foums and such due to being flamed by the 'duty-drunks' as I have come to think of them--those regulars who decide that they are to judge those who come aboard and post, etc.

Having observed *this* forum, I don't see any of that going on here.

It may well be that these big boards, in general, are in a constant state of flux w/folks coming and going, to/from one board to another, lurking about and so forth. It may also be that many are dividing up into their own small groups w/their own forums/ICQ, etc. I know of a couple like this.

About five years ago, when I first got my mits on a WebTV and found my way onto the Net, there was only one real big site--then it was abandoned, sieized by opportunists and sold down the river--that started it all, in my humble opinion.

Interesting.

DickG

thedrifter
09-23-02, 11:10 AM
GunnyG,

We have lots of folks always viewing the posts....but believe they are a little gun shy to place down their opinion.....
Yes I have seen some boards that, flame everyone for their opinion....but we try here not to do that.....
Yes, we can have a few firefights.....but as long as we don't go after a person for their opinion, we can have a few good conversations....
I guess we have to try a little harder to make all Welcome and comfortable...that we can get some more folks to talk with us.......

Sempers,

Roger

wrbones
09-23-02, 01:17 PM
but I have noticed an ebb and flow around here. Seems normal for the most part, and like Drifter says, we do have our firefights. From what little I've seen, it's not as bad as other websites.

I know that when I first came online, I hesitated to post much of anything until I got a pretty good idea of what was going on.

I think it's another time of year, too, where some folks are kinda busy again gettin ready for winter, last minute trips, running for kids with school activities, etc, etc....

Something else, just my uninformed opinion is all. I figure word is gettin out that some types of behaviour aren't particularly welcome around here, and transgressors don't last long at all. Some sort of self-discipline is expected. Trolls and troublesome wannabes don't last long at all!

What I've seen, encourages me for the most part about the long-term effects of this, is that the site will grow to become something special. Maybe even unseen before on the web.

We have a lot of people with wisdom, courage, intelligence, knowledge, skill, experience and education here. That alone would intimidate me, but I don't know any better! ;)

Sometimes, when reading some of the posts here, I often think to myself, " Man, they just said it all! There ain't a thing I can add to that!" I'm sure many folks think the same way.

There are many other factors involved, too, I'm sure, but I just take it as it comes.

Personally, I would love to see more people posting on the forums and interacting here. Every new person on the site has something to contribute. Every one of them.

As for me, I just talk too much, and they put up with me fer some reason! LOL.

If they'll put up with me, the rest of ya got little to be worried about! :D

Semper Fidelis, Marines!

Barndog
09-23-02, 05:28 PM
Yup..... Sometimes I do... sometimes I don't.

More often than not, when I do impart my informed opinion, I try to keep it at a very non-invasive and not-offensive level. I have my sensitivities that I must live with. That's for me to deal with.

On the other hand, when I do 'stir the pot', I do love a good discourse ( a moderate or philosophical word for "argument" - one that is used when proper thought is applied without emotion attached or affixed to the end argument)- it disturbs me ...... because I do understand that Marines have their own point of view- right wrong or indifferent. To me - every opinion matters - whether I agree or disagree with it or not.

Referring back to the sensitivity issue: don't hold back your opinions. I've stated before and I'll state it again:
I got big ass shoulders: I can carry the load of the battles that I choose. At 6'6 and 280, there's alot of ASS here. (and shoulders)

My only request is: if ya come to corner me, PLEASE: make sure yer weapon is loaded and cleaned. I love a good mental battle.

Don't be afraid to voice yer opinions. That's why these forums are here.

Last I checked my pocket constitution, FREEDOM OF SPEECH is still protected!!!!!!!!! (but don't hold yer breath too long)

Semper FI

Barndog

SSgtOfMarines
09-23-02, 05:47 PM
I've been here since day one, and unlike others I have not amassed a high amount of posts. Reason being is that I try to avoid posting bull$!t. Not saying it is prevalent around here, but maybe our other members dont want to turn this discussion forum into a permanent "ICQ" chat. One liner post etc.

Sgt E

USMC0311
09-23-02, 07:25 PM
Hey SOM..theres a time 4 seroius and a time for Slack..
Many Forums...many threads...No waiting.
Remember "LIBERTY" Marine!

Semper Fi, Brother.... Straight-Up, Flat-Fact, Fast Forward is the Marine WAY.. I Like yer attitude :yes: