PDA

View Full Version : What is your definition of the word.....

Phantom Blooper
05-18-04, 06:55 AM
WAR
Over hundreds of years the definitions of war have been many. The U.S involvement in wars with other countries and nations have also been many. Below are two internet dictionary definitions of the word war.
If a contingent of Marines are sent into a foreign country as peacekeepers and the action and sitrep changes to hostile is that considerd as war by definition?
If a war is declared over and casulties are still being taken is that constituted also as war by definition or a peacekeeping..cleanup mission?
If a long war was fought for many years and withdrawal was made from that country.....but the memories are relived everyday is that called war or conflict?

war ( P ) Pronunciation Key (wôr)
n.

A state of open, armed, often prolonged conflict carried on between nations, states, or parties.
The period of such conflict.
The techniques and procedures of war; military science.

A condition of active antagonism or contention: a war of words; a price war.
A concerted effort or campaign to combat or put an end to something considered injurious: the war against acid rain.

war [ wawr ]

noun (plural wars)

1. armed fighting between groups: an armed conflict between countries or groups that involves killing and destruction
The two countries are at war.

2. period during war: a period of armed conflict
during the Vietnam War

3. methods of warfare: the techniques or the study of the techniques of armed conflict

4. conflict: any serious struggle, argument, or conflict between people
The candidates are at war.

5. serious effort to end something: an effort to eradicate something harmful
a war against drugs

intransitive verb (past warred, past participle warred, present participle war·ring, 3rd person present singular wars)

1. make war: to engage in an armed conflict with somebody

2. be in a struggle: to be involved in a serious disagreement with somebody or a struggle to combat or eradicate something

[12th century. Via Old Northern French werre , from Old French guerre , ultimately from a prehistoric Germanic word meaning “strife, confusion.”]

Please give an honest take on this subject.Thanks! Semper-Fi!! Chuck Hall :marine:

cjwright90
05-18-04, 10:20 AM
It seems to me, Chuck, that too many people are forgetting the big picture on this Iraq/Afghanistan issue. It is a Global <U>War</U> on Terror, and these two <I>conlicts</I> are just part of that. Would you agree? There seems a lot of liberals are protesting the war in Irag and Afghanistan under the guise of anti-war groups. So if they are anti-war, that means they are wanting more terrorist attacks like the September 11th, 2001 attacks? I am not a war monger by any means, but do believe that this is a just and neccesary thing we are doing in the middle east.

mrbsox
05-18-04, 11:57 AM
Lets NOT leave out the famous term 'POLICE ACTION'

5. serious effort to end something: an effort to eradicate something harmful
a war against drugs

Seems that we are making 'serious effort to end something harmful.
We are in an armed conflict
We are using warlike techniques

If it looks like a duck...
Yep, I'd say WE ARE AT WAR with these 'table cloth headed' little sh!ts.

Definition ?? If YOUR guys are trying to kill MY guys, we are at war. Pure and simple.

MillRatUSMC
05-18-04, 01:27 PM
We been in several wars, but my definition of war is when we issue a &quot;Declaration of War&quot; as it was done on 8th December of 1941 by President Franklin Roosevelt. <br />
All others might be considered as...

Tracker
05-18-04, 03:09 PM
My definition of war is when we have our military in armed combat with another countries military, preferably in some other country besides this one.

enviro
05-18-04, 03:14 PM
I think the International Law Dictionary and Directory needs to update its definition of war

war: A sustained struggle of a scale and duration that threatens the existence of the government of a state or an equivalent juridical person and that is waged between groups of forces that are armed, wear a distinctive insignia, and are subject to military discipline under a responsible command. See law of war and international humanitarian law.

yellowwing
05-18-04, 04:44 PM
The first thing I thought of was, "kill the enemy." We've become so good at it, its scares the hell out of the soccer mom's. :banana:

Our Combined Arms approach is an unbeatable process that we are always studying, practicing, and refining. Give us a few weeks more and we'll beat these insurgent attacks hands down.

Even to this day our ONLY limitation is politics. Correct me if I'm wrong. I've been up all night preparing for a meeting that ended in drinks.