PDA

View Full Version : Deadly April Battle Became a Turning Point for Fallouja

thedrifter
05-18-04, 06:41 AM
Deadly April Battle Became a Turning Point for Fallouja

By Tony Perry, Patrick J. McDonnell and Alissa J. Rubin, Times Staff Writers

FALLOUJA, Iraq — The insurgents came at the Marines in relentless, almost suicidal waves. By the time the two-hour firefight in the Jolan district of this Sunni Muslim stronghold was over, dozens of anti-American fighters and one Marine were dead.

When the April 26 battle ended, Lt. Gen. James Conway, commanding officer of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, knew something else: It was, in a microcosm, what house-to-house fighting might look like if the Marines were forced to storm Fallouja and, possibly, level a city of 300,000 people. He didn't like the look of the future battlefield.

Conway had been given authority to cut a deal. He had long spoken about "putting an Iraqi face" on the security forces here. From unexpected quarters, a chance suddenly emerged to accomplish that goal in spectacular — if far from ideal — fashion. The April 26 firefight came during an uneasy, and often broken, cease-fire between the insurgents and the Marines who had surrounded the city earlier that month. At the time, the best hope for a peaceful resolution appeared to be the heavily publicized negotiations involving Sunni clerics, Fallouja civic leaders and sheiks, the Marines and U.S. occupation officials.

But behind the scenes, a back-channel communication between guerrilla envoys and the Marines was showing promise. It appears that several insurgent commanders — former generals in Saddam Hussein's regime who had joined the armed resistance — had made an overture through third parties in the days before the battle.

"There are factions among the insurgents, and we've been talking to some of them," a Marine commander confided to a journalist a few days before news of the deal broke. "We think some would rather live than die."

With a potential bloodbath looming, Marine leaders adopted a mantra: "We don't want to turn Fallouja into Dresden," referring to the Allied firebombing of the German city in World War II that killed tens of thousands of civilians.

Three days after that April 26 firefight, the remarkable deal was cut: The Marine leadership made a pact with the ex-generals. The Marines pulled out, violence ceased, further carnage was averted, and both sides declared victory.

Top officials at the Pentagon and in Baghdad were stunned. Most appeared caught off-guard by the deal, and were denying any withdrawal was taking place even as Marines were moving out and dismantling roadblocks and checkpoints.

Today, Fallouja is for all intents and purposes a rebel town, complete with banners proclaiming a great victory and insurgents integrated into the new Fallouja Brigade — the protective force set up with U.S. assistance to keep the peace.

At any rate, it had never been the Marines' intention to storm this restive city along the Euphrates.

Privately, Marines who began arriving here in March viewed the Army's strategy throughout Iraq's Sunni heartland as unduly confrontational.

But the grisly slayings of four U.S. contractors March 31 changed everything. Orders from a higher authority eclipsed the Marines' "no better friend" intentions for Fallouja. "When the president says go, we go," said Col. J.C. Coleman, chief of staff for the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force.

So the Marines were pushed to do something — a full-fledged assault on the city — that the Army had avoided, and military strategists now say was ill-conceived. Too few Marines were marshaled to confront a dug-in urban foe that proved unexpectedly resilient, well-armed and relentless.

The fighting quickly turned ugly, as did the images of dead and maimed civilians and fleeing refugees broadcast on Arab-language television. U.S. forces called a cease-fire after several days. Three weeks later, the insurgents had benefited from the chance to rearm, bring in new recruits and prepare ambushes, ensuring even more slaughter once the battle was renewed.

"In the end, the Americans left themselves with only bad options," said Michael Clarke, professor of defense studies at King's College, London. "They could either destroy the city, causing heavy loss of life. Or they could walk away. Both are a disaster, but the Americans chose the less disastrous of the two."

Despite the current calm in Fallouja, there are still great doubts in Washington and Baghdad about a deal that seemed to allow Hussein's men to pull their old olive-green uniforms and burgundy berets out of the closet and go back to work. One key player — Maj. Gen. Jassim Mohammed Saleh, who was among the first to meet with the Marines — had to be hastily dispatched to the background after the deal was struck because of his Republican Guard past and insurgent connections.

"To bring back that officer corps, it is not by any means black and white," Deputy Defense Secretary Paul D. Wolfowitz told a Senate hearing last week when asked about the wisdom of rehabilitating such men. "We just brought back one of those officers in Fallouja, and we pretty much had to sideline him immediately because he was working with the enemy. We need clean, new officers."

U.S. commanders in the field have long recognized the central role in the insurgency of former officers in Hussein's regime, especially those from the Republican Guard and various intelligence services. These are middle-aged, often graying men with vast strategic and personal expertise about their country — and considerable ruthlessness gained as Hussein's henchmen. Most were left with few options in the face of Washington's policy of abolishing the military and purging loyalists of Hussein's Baath Party.

Many Hussein-era generals and colonels are believed to have retreated to Fallouja, Ramadi and other towns in the Sunni Triangle as Baghdad fell, regrouping and organizing to fight another day. U.S. forces have arrested scores of ex-officers for insurgent ties, but others have been approached and recruited as U.S. allies — helping with the organization of police and civil defense corps units, for instance.

The fact that the Fallouja generals were military professionals made a difference. The Marines were not about to sit down and talk with hard-core jihadists with scarves around their faces and AK-47s slung on their shoulders — the public face of what is far from a monolithic insurgency. Nor would such hard-liners be likely to seek a compromise with U.S. forces.

Conway brought Maj. Gen. James N. Mattis, commander of the 1st Marine Division, to make the deal work. He's a tough combat veteran who led Marines into Afghanistan in 2001 and into Baghdad in 2003.

Mattis took over the day-to-day dealings with Saleh, who was key because he is well respected in town and comes from a large tribe prominent in Fallouja and western Iraq. Another important player on the Iraqi side was Mohammed Latif, a former intelligence officer of murky provenance who, according to the Marines, had gone into exile because of differences with Hussein's regime. Once Kurds and Shiites outside Fallouja balked at Saleh's Republican Guard pedigree, Latif was made the public face of the Fallouja security force.

On April 29, when the deal was announced, Mattis smiled and patted Latif and the others on the back. For a self-described "brawler," it was a sea change in attitude.

Many questions remain in a place where the U.S. has helped organize, fund and arm a military force of unknown capability or intention — and unabashedly hostile to the occupiers. Some worry that Fallouja may become a free zone for bomb-makers, saboteurs, assassins and other violent types whose desire to drive the United States out of Iraq remains undiminished.

The intentions of Latif are hard to discern. He is slick, winks at journalists, says one thing to Westerners, another thing to Iraqis.

"He's an intelligence guy," said Col. John Toolan, commander of the 1st Marine Regiment. "You never get a straight answer from those guys."

In Fallouja these days, there is little talk of the central U.S. demands — disarming the insurgents, finding the people who killed and mutilated the four U.S. contractors and hunting down foreign jihadists. There were no foreign fighters, proclaims Latif. And if they were here, they must have escaped, he has said.

An aide to Saleh finds the very question of foreign fighters beside the point.

"The Americans brought different nationalities — British, Spanish, Salvadorans, Ukrainians," the aide noted. "Is it acceptable for them and rejected for us? … And if there were [foreign] Arabs, it is not a shame upon the city of Islam."

This once-obscure city to the west of the capital is now an inspirational ground zero for anti-Western militants in the Middle East, the place that beat back the Marines. Fresh graffiti in Arabic tell the story: "Long Live the Heroic Mujahedin of Fallouja." "Long Live the Resistance."

continued

thedrifter
05-18-04, 06:42 AM
At the entrance to Jolan, one of the two neighborhoods where the most violent fighting raged, a sign reads: "This Is the Neighborhood of Heroes, Congratulations."

What happened, Marines say, is that the stakes in Fallouja got too big. An all-out assault, Marines say, would have caused mass casualties, further inflamed the entire region and disrupted the planned June 30 turnover of authority to the Iraqis.

Meanwhile, only a portion of the $100 million earmarked for Fallouja projects will probably be spent, officials now say, and then only funneled through local contractors. No one expects Western workers or non-government agencies to venture into Fallouja any time soon.

"It's like sausage: ugly to watch being made," Mattis said of the deal that brought some sense of stability to Fallouja. "We'll see how it tastes when it's over."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/iraq/la-fg-fallouja17may17,1,3927856.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Ellie

thedrifter
05-18-04, 06:43 AM
OIF deployment a family affair for sergeant major, nephew
Submitted by: 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing
Story Identification #: 200451761422
Story by Staff Sgt. Houston F. White Jr.

AL ASAD, Iraq (May 17, 2004) -- The treacherous stretches of desert that characterize life here may not seem like the ideal backdrop for something as heartwarming as a family reunion. However, for Sgt. Maj. Melvin O. Chestnut, sergeant major, Marine Tactical Air Command Squadron 38, Marine Air Control Group 38, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, the harsh environment has proven to be the perfect place to reunite with relatives.

Currently deployed here in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, the 43-year-old discovered his nephew, Sgt. Isaiah Montgomery, motor transportation vehicle recovery operator, Marine Wing Support Squadron 273, Marine Wing Support Group 37, 3rd MAW, would be serving a mere stone's throw away before he departed Marine Corps Air Station, Miramar, Calif.

"I received an e-mail from (Montgomery) before we left for Iraq telling me that he was deploying out here too," mentioned the Sumter, S.C., native. "A couple of weeks after I arrived here in February, I found out that my nephew was stationed on the other side of the base."

Ironically, Montgomery's birth year coincided with his uncle's enlistment into the Corps, setting the stage for him to follow in the sergeant major's footsteps years later.

"Junior was born in February of 1978 in Sumter and I came into the Marine Corps in June of 1978, so really, I joined right after my older sister, Thomasina, had him," remarked Chestnut.

During trips home to visit his family, the sergeant major fell under the impression that his nephew didn't have the potential to become one of the few and the proud.

"I always remembered him as a little skinny kid with his pants hanging down around his hips, " smiled Chestnut. "I would have to pull his pants up and square him away, so I never really pictured Junior becoming a Marine."

Little did he know that his nephew was planning on becoming the next in a long line of contributors to his family's Marine Corps legacy, due in part to the example set by his uncle and other family members who were devil dogs.

"It was motivating growing up around my uncle and the other Marines in my family. It really made me want to be like them," said Montgomery, who has a total of seven Marines in his immediate family.

"I remember when my uncle would come home on leave and he would have nice clothes and be well-dressed," added the 26-year-old. "I always tried to hang around him and get little (pieces of advice), because he would only be home for a short period of time before he had to go back to his duty station."

Despite being verbally discouraged from joining the Corps as a youngster by his uncle and friends, Montgomery chose to follow the example Chestnut set through his actions as a Marine while steadily advancing through the ranks.

"Basically, I looked at him as a role model when I was growing up," Montgomery admitted. "I looked at joining the Marines as a challenge too, even though all of my friends told me Marines were crazy."

After warning his nephew against joining the Marine Corps for years, Chestnut admitted that seeing his nephew in uniform for the first time was a rewarding experience.

"Actually, I always tried to talk my nieces and nephews out of joining the Corps," explained the sergeant major. "I never suggested joining to Junior. But seeing him dressed in his Marine Corps uniform for the first time made me very proud."

Though the enviable position as the relative of one of the top enlisted Marines in the Corps could cause a less mature person to become complacent, Montgomery remains modest with a strong work ethic, according to Manning, S.C., native, Master Sgt. Delbert C. Thigpen, motor transportation chief, MWSS-273.

"You would never know that Sergeant Montgomery is the relative of a sergeant major because he never mentions it," said the 43-year-old, who grew up less than 20 miles away from his Marine's hometown and shared the same recruiter as Chestnut. "He's a good (non-commissioned officer) and he really knows how to handle his business."

Handling business in the same combat zone together for the first time has drawn a range of emotions from both Sumter leathernecks.

"It's actually very exciting to be serving with Junior," said Chestnut. "During (OIF I) I was out here in the same regiment as his older brother, so I've always felt that as an uncle, it was my responsibility to look over them, while we're here."

"This is my first chance being deployed with my uncle and it feels good," added Montgomery. "It's a real comfort being stationed out here with him because I know I can go to him if I need advice. Seeing the success he has gives me something to strive for."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200451762245/$file/1-SgtMaj-Story-lr.jpg

Sgt. Maj. Melvin O. Chestnut (left), sergeant major, Marine Tactical Air Command Squadron 38, Marine Air Control Group 38, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, shows nephew Sgt. Isaiah Montgomery, motor transportation vehicle recovery operator, Marine Wing Support Squadron 273, Marine Wing Support Group 37, 3rd MAW, that it’s a long way to the top if he wants to reach the rank of sergeant major, May 13 in Al Asad, Iraq. The 43-year-old and 26-year-old natives of Sumter, S.C., are serving together for the first time in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Photo by: Staff Sgt. Houston F. White Jr.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200451764322/$file/2-SgtMaj-Story-lr.jpg

Sgt. Maj. Melvin O. Chestnut (left), sergeant major, Marine Tactical Air Command Squadron 38, Marine Air Control Group 38, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, pays a visit to his nephew and fellow Sumter, S.C., native, Sgt. Isaiah Montgomery (center), motor transportation recovery operator, Marine Wing Support Squadron 273, Marine Wing Support Group 37, 3rd MAW, and Master Sgt. Delbert C. Thigpen, motor transportation chief, MWSS-273, from Manning, S.C., in Al Asad, Iraq, May 13. Each of the three Marines was raised in the same close-knit community in South Carolina and is now serving in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Photo by: Staff Sgt. Houston F. White Jr.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/4F953FC0646E99B485256E9700383F7F?opendocument

Ellie

thedrifter
05-18-04, 06:44 AM
Marine logistician earns Bronze Star <br />
Submitted by: Headquarters Marine Corps <br />
Story Identification #: 20045176333 <br />
Story by - Army Sgt. Jorge Gomez <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
FORT LEE, Va. -- Each time Marine Capt....

thedrifter
05-18-04, 06:46 AM
President Thanks Service Members for Efforts in War on Terrorism <br />
Story Identification #: 200451755753 <br />
Story by - Army Sgt. 1st Class Doug Sample, American...

thedrifter
05-18-04, 08:05 AM
The best little *****house in Iraq <br />
Cal Thomas <br />
<br />
What was the cause of the loss of unit cohesion and breakdown of discipline at the notorious Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq? <br />
<br />
Dave Bischel, a National...

thedrifter
05-18-04, 08:08 AM
Utahn Marine gets two Purple Hearts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Salt Lake Tribune
5/18/2004

Pfc. Quinton D. Graves, 19, of Salt Lake City is the first Marine in the 1st Marine Division to be awarded two Purple Heart medals for wounds received in Iraq.

Graves, assigned to Company G, 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines, was awarded the first medal on March 13 when his vehicle was hit by a bomb, according to the Marine Corps News.

"Everybody was sitting straight up in the Humvee," said Graves. "We weren't getting down behind the blast doors. We didn't think it could be that bad."

Five minutes later, he said, the bomb exploded. Graves figured that he must have blacked out. When he realized what was going on, the Humvee was sitting still. No one inside was moving. He reached back for a corporal, only to see he was severely wounded. One Marine lost an eye. Another's jaw was torn apart.

"I didn't even know I was injured until everyone was medevaced and I was checked out," Graves said. "They said I was hit. I took shrapnel to my left arm."

Graves' second award came April 7, during the fighting in Ar Ramadi. His platoon was sent out to reinforce a pinned down squad when a grenade was tossed over a wall.

"I saw it land," he said. "It was one of those pineapple-looking grenades. We just started running and I kept thinking 'It should have blown by now.' "

Graves was all too aware when the grenade exploded: Shrapnel peppered his left calf, left thigh, buttocks, back and left shoulder.

"After it blew I was still running, so I figured it couldn't be that bad," he said. "A hail of gunfire followed and I kicked in a gate to a house and took cover."

Another Marine patched Graves' wounds and he finished the mission. For the second time in less than a month, he called home to his mother.

"I tried to explain it wasn't that bad," Graves said. "I couldn't lie and say I'm not around the fighting. That lie doesn't work anymore."

In all, 554 Purple Hearts have been awarded throughout the 1 Marine Division. Six Marines, including Graves, received the medal twice.

Ellie

cjwright90
05-18-04, 11:08 AM
PFC Graves says its all in adays work.

thedrifter
05-18-04, 12:10 PM
May 17, 2004

Kearsarge, 24th MEU to deploy next month

By William H. McMichael
Times staff writer

The Norfolk-based amphibious assault ship Kearsarge will deploy for roughly two months beginning in early June to carry the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit’s air element to the Middle East and duty in Iraq, Atlantic Fleet announced Monday.
As such, the Kearsarge mission will essentially mirror the January deployment of the Norfolk-based Bataan, which surged overseas on one month’s notice with Marine helicopters and maintainers from II Marine Expeditionary Force, Atlantic Fleet spokesman Lt. Jim Hoeft said. Bataan was back home two months after it left and barring additional orders, Kearsarge will be gone about the same length of time as Bataan, Hoeft said.

The San Diego-based Boxer made a similar short-notice deployment about the same time as Bataan and ferried I MEF helos and Marines to Iraq. Boxer spent four months at sea.

In leaving so quickly and returning in less than the six months ships traditionally have spent on deployment, the two ships, which sailed unaccompanied, served as early examples of the Navy’s 2003 Fleet Response Plan, designed to keep more of the fleet maintained and ready to get underway on short notice.

The 24th and 11th MEUs were notified May 4 that they would deploy to help relieve elements of the Army’s 1st Armored Division and 2nd Light Cavalry Regiment, now on extended duty in Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. There was no word yet on how the remainder of the 24th MEU would travel to Iraq or whether any West Coast ships had come down on orders to carry the 11th MEU overseas.

The 24th ACE is composed of 650 Marines and includes 6 AV-8 Harrier jets and the following helicopters: 4 CH-53E Super Stallions, 12 CH-46E Sea Knights, 4 AH-1W Super Cobras and 3 UH-1N Hueys.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2924873.php

Ellie

thedrifter
05-18-04, 02:03 PM
Marine Logistician earns Bronze Star <br />
Story Identification #: 20045176333 <br />
Story by - Army Sgt. Jorge Gomez <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
FORT LEE, Va. -- Each time Marine Capt....

thedrifter
05-18-04, 05:43 PM
Iraqi Cleric Calls for End to Fighting <br />
<br />
By CHRISTOPHER TORCHIA, Associated Press Writer <br />
<br />
BAGHDAD, Iraq - Iraq (news - web sites)'s most respected Shiite cleric urged both U.S. soldiers and a...