PDA

View Full Version : Fear of a hostile reaction has led US officials to warn its participants in the Games

thedrifter
05-17-04, 04:38 PM
Fear of a hostile reaction has led US officials to warn its participants in the Games against overtly patriotic displays
By Simon Hart in New York
(Filed: 16/05/2004)

American athletes have been warned not to wave the US flag during their medal celebrations at this summer's Olympic Games in Athens for fear of provoking crowd hostility and harming the country's already battered public image.

The spectacle of victorious athletes grabbing a national flag and parading it around the stadium is a familiar part of international sporting competition, but US Olympic officials have ordered their 550-strong team to exercise restraint and avoid any jingoistic behaviour.

The plan is part of a charm offensive aimed at repairing the country's international reputation following the deepening crisis in Iraq and damaging revelations of torture and mistreatment of detainees by US forces at the Abu Ghraib prison.

"American athletes find themselves in extraordinary circumstances in Athens in relation to the world as we know it right now," said Mike Moran, a veteran former spokesman for the US Olympic Committee who has been retained as a consultant to advise athletes about the correct way to behave.

"Regardless of whether there is anti-American sentiment in Athens or not, the world watches Americans a lot now in terms of how they behave and our culture. What I am trying to do with the athletes and coaches is to suggest to them that they consider how the normal things they do at an event, including the Olympics, might be viewed as confrontational or insulting or cause embarrassment."

Four years ago, at the Sydney Olympics, the victorious American 4 x 100m relay team were widely condemned for their arrogant strutting with the US flag following their gold medal presentation, and American officials, mindful of the country's precarious standing in world opinion, are desperate to avoid any repeat.

"Unfortunately, using the flag as a prop or a piece of apparel or indulging in boasting behaviour is becoming part of our society in sport because every night on TV we see our athletes - professional, college or otherwise - taunting their opponents and going face to face with each other," said Mr Moran. "We are trying, for 17 days, to break that culture.

"What I am telling the athletes is, 'Don't run over and grab a flag and take it round the track with you.' It's not business as usual for American athletes. If a Kenyan or a Russian grabs their national flag and runs round the track or holds it high over their heads, it might not be viewed as confrontational. Where we are in the world right now, an American athlete doing that might be viewed in another manner."

Mr Moran added that the behaviour of British athletes could face similar scrutiny in Athens, though the British Olympic Association insists that there are no plans to ban them from celebrating with the Union flag.

A spokesman for the association said: "It's up to every athlete how he or she wishes to celebrate their Olympic success and there are no plans to issue any instructions. We are confident that every athlete will celebrate in a responsible way."

The US Olympic Committee's anxiety at over-exuberant displays of jingoism is a far cry from the scenes at the 2002 Winter Olympics, hosted by Salt Lake City, where the American flag became the defining symbol of the Games.

A different environment awaits the American team in Athens, where officials are anxious to replace apple pie with humble pie.

Americans were booed at the World Athletics Championships in Paris last year - largely as a result of Jon Drummond's histrionic protest at his disqualification from a heat of the 100 metres. And at an Olympic football qualifying match in Mexico earlier this year the American team was subjected to sustained barracking by a section of the crowd, including chants of "Osama, Osama".

Despite the extra burden being placed on American athletes, officials still predict a US medal haul of more than 100, and have made it their target to finish top of the medals table. The irony is that finishing the Games as the most powerful nation is unlikely to endear them to the rest of the world.

"We're not the favourite kid in the world right now," admitted Bill Martin, the US Olympic Committee's acting president.

"We are sensitive not only to the security issue but to jingoism in its raw sense. That is why we are sending people around to educate the athletes as to the appropriate behaviour."

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2004/05/16/wolym16.jpg

Maurice Greene holds the American flag aloft after winning the men's 100 metres at the 2000 Olympics

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/05/16/wolym16.xml

Ellie

Now I think this is wrong......:no:

Super Dave
05-17-04, 07:13 PM
I agree, i'd fly it proud as hell..if they don't like it they could kiss my ass!!

Sparrowhawk
05-17-04, 07:31 PM
Foreign bigots don't want to see American winners celebrating.
When we should be encouraging them to win, with this type of requirement placed upon them, will make it look as if they are ashame of their country.

Toby M
05-17-04, 07:48 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself Sparrowhawk! The purpose (I thought), of going to the Olympics, was to be the best athletes in the world. Along with being the best, is having pride in your country. Telling us not to display our colors is a slap in the face. If I was an Olympic athlete, I would refuse to go. Where is their pride???? Maybe we need a boycott.

MillRatUSMC
05-17-04, 09:57 PM
Let's get rid of ceremony with the flags marching in at the beginning and the end of the Olympic games.
If one can't celebrate with one's Flag, it negates these games.
Let's do away with all these "games".
Money could be spend better, many countries go into debt with all the money spend getting ready to host the Olympic games.
Kosovo comes to mind after hosting the "Winter Olympic games".

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

Sgted
05-17-04, 10:08 PM
This is what these fear monglers want.
I say no.
No to keeping a low profile.
No to hiding our country's symbol.
No to any terrorist nation who would succeed in holding this gun to our heads.