PDA

View Full Version : A little, no a lot of indignation.

Eaglestrikes
05-14-04, 08:01 PM
I realize not everyone is on the same sheet of music when it comes to politics. I do not attempt to change the minds of those who are committed to one point of view. Some things however should transcend political perspective. It won't but it should. What has happened in Iraq is more than just unfortunate, it does not however rise to the political heights or notoriety it has been assigned. As I understand it these are primarily 95 Deltas (Corrections) and NG or Reserve. The unit apparently has a good record and some very fine people in it. That six or seven soldiers suffering from juvenile onset have caused such consternation and chaos borders on the miraculous. A very broad paint brush is being used by both parties to paint a picture of the Military ,over all, that is not correct or good for morale. To quote Shakespeare, "tis much ado about nothing" It is overdone and has become Political fodder. This is not the time nor the place for that. I do not want to hear about the 1st Amendment or any of the others. A right is not a necessity. The morale of the troops is affected by things like this, this I know from my own experiences in Viet Nam. The other thing is, that now the Congress is meddling. This can have an effect on the war effort, if allowed to continue. It does not at this point rise to that level, it does need to be "nipped in the bud" to quote Barney.
I have written an E-Mail and sent it to my Congressmen. I have followed it with Snail Mail and have gotten others to do the same. if you would like to throw your two cents in, it is easy to do. Simply rev up the search engine, find your Congressmen or Women and send them an E-Mail.
Mine went like this:
I have listened for some time now to all that has been, and is being said. I hear Senators, who we now find out, had previous knowledge, demagogue both the President and the American Military.
In the Senate, Republican Chairman allow the Honorable Secretary of the Defense to be the subject of blatantly bad manners and political partisanship. The words Horrific, Terrible, and Atrocities are being used in conjunction with the, so called, prisoner abuse scandal. Senator McCain becomes rude and offensive in his manner and deportment and treats the Secretary in an obviously demeaning way.
The Senate and the House both, join in, clamoring to be noticed, express their outrage, and heap on more condemnations which insult the American Military in general and America in specific. A, very, few voices are raised in Defense of the American Military and the President. The State of Alabama supplies many soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines to the Armed forces as well as many members of the National Guard, and the Reserve, now serving in Iraq, Alabama is home to many units, both Active and Reserve as well as Guard. These men and women, have and are serving honorably. I do not hear the voices of their Senators or their Representatives raised in their defense. I an angry, and infuriated, that the American Military should have to suffer the noise of those who do not like them, and the silence of those who should support them. My anger is not with those who showed poor judgment, and will pay accordingly, but with those who chose to smear this country, it's President and it's Military.
Where are the voices of those who will stand up and refute the words of Nancy Pelosi and Ted Kennedy as well as the snide and offensive remarks of Fritz Hollingsworth. It appears very few of those voices are out there. Do those who represent Alabama stand with those who besmirch the American Military, the Presidency, and this country? I do not hear your voices raised in defense, are they silenced by embarrassment or fear?
A witch hunt, which carries over into the Appropriations Committee, is being conducted and this constituent does not like it. It is obvious that the beheading of Nick Berg was an attempt to make political use of this witch hunt. His death can be directly attributed to the ongoing, and overdone, self flagellation that those Inside-the-Beltway are experiencing. Not one voice has been raised in shame at what has resulted. I do not care about Political good will, nor does the Stately position of the Senate impress me. A small article in a local newspaper is insufficient, I want those who represent me to state their position loudly, clearly and publicly. Nothing less will do.
It is the way I feel. Republican or Democrat. Wrong is wrong. The stupidity perpetrated by a small group of undisciplined troops, does not warrant the current maelstrom of criticism, and guilt seeking, that could consume many, many innocents in it's path. There is a political lynch mob out there. I say Bull to that.
If you agree feel free to excerpt from my letter. if you dis-agree do what you think is right. One last thing. as a Marine, I flew in helicopters both in peace time and Combat. They were green in color, not black. I don't think this is a vast conspiracy.

MillRatUSMC
05-14-04, 08:34 PM
A constituent of the Honorable State of Indiana echos you statements.
The world is painting an Honorable Army in the color of a few bad apples.
It only demoralizes that Army as it was done in Vietnam after My Lai.
Our State Senators and Representives should be more interested in the State of that Army than partisan politics.
While you were flying missions in those helicopters, I was down in mud as a grunt...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

Eaglestrikes
05-14-04, 08:40 PM
Thank you. during my first tour I did not fly. I walked. Leatherneck Square 67 to 68. Scout sgt 1/12 Mar Artillery, later transferred to the Cua Viet, (See my post on Terry Pitts in Memorials.) Where we coined the term AmGrunt. We did more Grunt than Am, but hey that is the way the Marine Corp is set up. First, last and forever 0311. Marine Infantryman. My hat is off to you. Welcome home Marine, welcome back brother. Semper Fi.

thedrifter
05-14-04, 08:42 PM
Welcome Aboard to the Best Marine Site on the net. Also welcome to your home away from home................
We have a great crew of Marines in here from WW II to the present............
Throw your sea bag in a corner, pull up a footlocker, sit and chat awhile.........

"AGAIN WELCOME ABOARD."

Ellie

Good post