View Full Version : The Media Today * Heroes Diminished, Victims Exalted

thedrifter
05-13-04, 02:25 PM
The Media Today * Heroes Diminished, Victims Exalted <br />
<br />
May 13, 2004 <br />
<br />
<br />
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <br />
by Thomas D. Segel <br />

Sgted
05-13-04, 03:10 PM
I stand tall with my fellow Marines and salute these heros.

The media is only interested in commercial cash and ratings.
Theres also many egos standing in the way of even handed reporting.
And, I'm sorry to say, Americans today want hyped up reality. The news stations cowtow to this segment of our society.
Heros are boring.
Bad and and anti-social behavior, rage, chaos, riots, keeping up with the Jone's and stupidity is what keeps our bored citizens glued to the TV for more than 5 minutes.
Either that or many loud explosions in 5.1 surround.
The media knows this and because there is alot of competition they focus on the bad.
Personally, I am so hungry for a program / report that goes down an arms length list of the great strides and accomplishments the Iraqi people are reaping from our being there. Oh, I've seen some online and a report or 2 on TV but not nearly enough.
I'm betting there is enough good happening in Iraq to justify a 24 hour station dedicated to just that.
Look, I know the average American cannot surf the Web for hours seeking out the good stuff.
It needs to be in our faces everyday on the 4, 5, 6, 7 O'clock / 24 hour news.

My opinion.

Toby M
05-13-04, 03:12 PM
You never hear about these people because they don't make good news. They aren't exploitive or sell newspapers. Hero's are only good news when they sell. They are only important to their comrads in arms or to former military who know what it's like to put your life on the life for a brother! Sad state of affairs...

bobpage
05-13-04, 03:12 PM
Ya know, he is right. The Soldier in for the MOH is seldom spoken of. I saw a thing on him on the HISTORY Channel. Not the major networks. This fellow is dead on. The guys who went to get Lynch I will always remember for I was part of the RCT (RCT 1) that did the rescue. I will remember, always.