PDA

View Full Version : I think I get it now!

yellowwing
05-12-04, 07:41 PM
I just posted the comment, "Can you tell I have a hard on for Syria? Think Lebanon 1983."

Now I think I am beginning to understand the wrath that John Kerry gets at Leatherneck.

October 23, 1983 Marine Barracks Lebanon is very personal to me.

Tell you what. If Kerry wimps on Syria or GWB at the least launches a few Tomahawks into Syria, I'll cast my vote Republican.

stalkmaster
05-12-04, 07:46 PM
Yellowing , Who were you with back then? I was with the 13th
MAU BLT 1/9 waitin on Diego Garcia the day it happened..

yellowwing
05-12-04, 08:03 PM
In an MOS school in Quantico. We were all glued to the news or waiting in line to donate blood. All of us in class asked for a combat arms lateral move. I met alot of Lebanon Marines in the following six years.

I'm am glad to meet another one, Stalkmaster!

Semper Fi!

stalkmaster
05-12-04, 08:12 PM
I never went in country we stayed in the I/O but I lost a few friends that day.

yellowwing
05-12-04, 08:20 PM
Sorry to hear that, bro. I was happy as hell to see the announcement of the USS RONALD REAGAN CVN 76.

stalkmaster
05-12-04, 08:26 PM
So was I, am grateful he doesn't know what has happend to
this country. I met him twice once when I was a kid in Sacramento
when he was Governor and in the Corps. I don't care what they
say he is one hell of a Man.

yellowwing
05-12-04, 08:48 PM
Air Force One landed in El Toro once. We all went out into the grandstands to see. When President Reagan emerged, it was just a complete eruption of noise and cheers.

I remember now, everyone was clapping and cheering, except for K. Farmer. He had a strange sense of humor. He was walking around taking pictures of the Secret Service detail. That lasted about five minutes. He lost his camera right quick! :banana: He later said, "They took my ID Card and stuff." But he never really said what the other 'stuff' was that they did to him.

TracGunny
05-12-04, 09:23 PM
I was sitting in DI School in SD; I think the entire class, or close to it, asked to have their TAD orders cancelled so as to return to our units. We just knew the U.S. was about to dog-pile on Lebanon/Syria and wanted to be there...

The School Director sat the class down and said forget about it, and forget about DORs...

ivalis
05-12-04, 10:11 PM
At least Reagan took responsibility for the Beruit catastrophe. Our current "leader" won't admit to any error. The arrogance of GW scares the hell out of me.

namgrunt
05-12-04, 11:45 PM
I was too damn old to re-enlist in '83, but I was definately in a killing mood when I heard about the airport massacre.

That was the actual opening round of our current struggle with the radical religious extremists who are still at our throats. We just didn't recognize we were at "war" then.

jryanjack
05-13-04, 08:20 AM
I hear you Namgrunt! Its hard to sit on the sidelines!

At first I didn't completely agree with you, however, more and more, I cannot close my eyes to the facts. Berg's beheading pushed me over the edge. I would go in a minute!

cjwright90
05-13-04, 10:05 AM
I was still in high school then

bobpage
05-13-04, 11:39 AM
Weapons 1/8 1983....taken from ITS to replace the fallen Marines.

0351teufelhund
05-14-04, 05:22 AM
Brothers,

I do not share the level of intimacy regarding October 23, 1983 that many of you do; I was only 3 years old at the time. But I assure you all that the new crop of Marines knows the importance of that date. "October 23, 1983" is etched into our brain housing group during boot camp. Marine Corps History classes were awesome and the info absorbed inspires you to be a better Marine, and a better person. Seeing the sacrafices made by the Marines before you, helps you appreciate what being a Marine is all about. The triumps accomplished and sacrafices made by all of you that came before us (the "FNGs") compell us (at the very least, me) to carry on the legendary tradition that is the United States Marine Corps. I'll get my chance in June. Thanks & Semper Fidelis

Also, I haven't posted in a while and ran across this the other day. There is a lot of Vietnam lingo here too, so most of the 'Nam Vets will appreciate it more than I can:

http://www.vietvet.org/usmcdict.htm