PDA

View Full Version : Florida recruiter uses life experiences to find America's finest

thedrifter
05-12-04, 06:48 AM
Florida recruiter uses life experiences to find America's finest
Submitted by: 6th Marine Corps District
Story Identification #: 2004511125252
Story by Cpl. John Silwanus

6TH MARINE CORPS DISTRICT(May 4, 2004) -- On the streets of the Commonwealth of Dominica, Elvis K. John-Baptiste grew up noticing there were not too many people who received an education. His mother a schoolteacher did what she could to help them and her son, but there were many who grew up without it nonetheless.
Later, when he was into his high school years, John-Baptiste moved to Anchorage, Alaska, with his father to finish his education. Then something happened that changed John-Baptiste's life forever.

As he walked through the mall one day, a Marine Corps recruiter approached him. The Marine was sharply dressed in his Dress Blue uniform and interacted with people in a very professional manner. John-Baptiste said his manner is what intrigued him the most about the Marine Corps.

"He gave me some information, but I really wasn't interested in joining the Marines," the now staff sergeant said. "He impressed me with his attitude and when he called me back a few days later, I knew that it was what I wanted to do. My recruiter kept up with me while I was in the pool and even in boot camp."

John-Baptiste said that remembering what the "recruiter-man" did for him has been a big part of his success in the Corps. John-Baptiste, now a recruiter for Recruiting Station Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., uses not only his recruiter's example, but also his island upbringing to help introduce young men and women to the Marine Corps.

"The population in RS Ft. Lauderdale's (Area of Responsibility) is extremely diverse, close to the Caribbean, many islanders have chosen to make their home in South Florida," said Capt. Wade E. Evans, executive officer, RS Ft. Lauderdale. "This combined with a considerable South and Central American population have created an interesting mix of cultures and languages. This diversity requires an equally diverse recruiting force that, many times, is bilingual."

Recruiting in his area, John-Baptiste has found his ability to speak another language has helped him talk with young people in several areas.

"I have been able to talk to the Haitian population because I know Creole," John-Baptiste said. "It has opened a few doors for me that others had not been able to try."

John-Baptiste opened a door for himself when he decided he would try recruiting duty. He began his career in the Marine Corps as an infantryman and spent 13 years leading combat Marines, before he decided he wanted to try another job that would challenge him.

"I could have easily become a drill instructor, but that was what I was doing everyday, I needed something different," John-Baptiste said.

So he decided he would become a recruiter. His decision has not hurt his career, in fact since he joined Recruiting Substation Del-Ray Beach, Fla., he has earned the Dan Daily award from his RS. The award is given to the Marines who recruits three graduates who have good grades and do well on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery.

"The great thing about being a recruiter is there are a lot of incentives for you to do your job," he said. "If you work hard and do well out there on the streets then there are rewards and awards for your efforts."

Not only has John-Baptiste been rewarded for his performance as a recruiter, but also has opened his horizons. He said it has shown him a new side of the Marine Corps and has helped him in dealing with people.

"As a grunt, I was told I was very unapproachable, since being out here and having to talk to people everyday it has helped me with my communication skills," he said.

One of the things John-Baptiste has said he most enjoys is seeing the end result of putting young people into the Corps.

"It is just the greatest feeling seeing this high-school kid come to you and see them after they graduate," John-Baptiste concluded. "The change that has occurred over most of these kids motivates me. This is the most positive job I've done in the Marine Corps."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200451112573/$file/John.jpg

Staff Sgt. Elvis John-Baptiste, recruiter for Recruiting Station Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. greets a visitor to the Marine Booth at the Air and Sea Show. Photo by: Cpl. John Silwanus

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/6B2C136B1E4A95DF85256E91005CBB23?opendocument

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie