PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to the good old "Sign and Ship"

SSgtOfMarines
05-08-04, 05:36 PM
I swore in and shipped 3 days later. No Poolee functions. No mini-bootcamps. No online forums to ask questions (hell, the internet as we know it was non-existent in 1994).

I think all this pre-bootcamp exposure sucks. All these kids land on the footprints thinking they know everything about the Corps. Gimme a farken break.

Just wait till ya hit the fleet youngsters. Ain't no website that'll teach you how to deal with an irate Sgt.

S/F
Sgt E

Toby M
05-08-04, 06:57 PM
SOM, I couldn't agree with you more! I went in in 1967 and I am so glad I didn't have any pre-conceived notions about what boot camp was going to be like. I wouldn't have gone in otherwise! I was more scared those first three days than I was the entire 13 months I spent in Viet Nam!

greensideout
05-08-04, 08:04 PM
I feel the same way, the "warm and fussy" that they receive will likely do them less good then, "just join kid, if you think you can handle it".

Sgted
05-08-04, 09:38 PM
Couldn't agree with you guys more.
No preconcieved notions.
I was scared as hell when that bus pulled up to recieving.
It was late and we had just begun a long all nighter.
The D.I's had us empty our pockets and wallets on bunks then they started talkin' bad stuff about flicks of our girlfriends, Mother, sisters, etc.

On the left, my Father (now deceased, former Marine), me in the middle, my Mother (also deceased) on the right.
Graduation day.
14 October 1965
1st RTB, Company "C", Platoon 167.
Parris Island, SC.

MUDMARINE
05-09-04, 08:08 PM
I agree with you SgtOfMarines. I joined in 1985, I walked into the recruiter's office told him I wanted to be in the Infantry and I wanted to leave today. He laughed and said I can't get you gone that fast but I can get you out of here in about a week. I did all the bs ASVAB, physical, swore in, signed my contract and I was gone in one week.

I didn't have any prep for boot camp no prep for the fleet but for what I was taught in boot camp.

I think all this stuff today is a waste of time, money and man power.

Saurian'sEdge
05-09-04, 08:22 PM
My girlfriend found out Saturday that she was good to go and left MEP's on Monday.

ridingcrops
05-10-04, 03:11 PM
Yep I have to agree with you guys. But the only guys I met where sailors LOL>
I went in and knew it would be hard but I had no idea what I was in for. And the DI who got on the bus made me really want to get on those damn footprints.
I think we need to go back to the old Corps when men were men and sheep were nervous LOL

ImAPuke
05-10-04, 03:34 PM
I agree with you devil dogs--poolee funtions don't really prepare
you for boot camp (not even "meeting" a real D.I.. ) recruiters
are cool ( my recuiter lived in back of me before I enlisted & I think he still lives close by.) but they don't let you know all the
ins & outs of boot camp, on that bus I was scared as hell.