PDA

View Full Version : Did David Hackworth leak the prison photos to the media?

Sparrowhawk
05-08-04, 02:27 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <br />
<br />
May 8, 2004 <br />
THE IMAGES <br />
Soldier's Family Set in Motion Chain of Events on Disclosure <br />
By JAMES DAO and ERIC...

kentmitchell
05-08-04, 04:09 PM
If Hackworth did it, I take off my hat to him.
If someone hadn't done it, the cover-up would still be ongoing and this stuff needs to be stopped. They weren't disciplining prisoners or setting up for interrogation, they were having fun.

paul g fleming
05-08-04, 05:21 PM
I am glad it was Army and not the Marines

Toby M
05-08-04, 07:02 PM
Most states in this country will charge you with a felony and send you to prison for this type of behaviour! Imagine being an ex prison guard or ex cop and being sent to prison...I'm sorry for the...

greensideout
05-08-04, 07:31 PM
Humm, maybe the general concensus on this matter is right---we should just be nice to them and they will be nice to us. After all, it's only war.

Sparrowhawk
05-08-04, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by kentmitchell
If Hackworth did it, I take off my hat to him.
If someone hadn't done it, the cover-up would still be ongoing and this stuff needs to be stopped. They weren't disciplining prisoners or setting up for interrogation, they were having fun.

HAckworthless is a scumbag, even if he didn't release those pictures, but there are indications he certainly had something to do with it.

Hackworth, kept his own mouth shut for five tours of Vietnam as an officer about what he later blamed the Army of doing wrong in Vietnam and it was only to promote his book that he turned to lying, and then went on to label himself the most decorated Vietnam soldier. He's another Kerry, wearing medals he didn't deserve and earned more by paperweight then from actual combat.

But, where is this prisoner cover up, you talk about?

The abuse was reported, and immediately those soldiers were removed from duty and held pending the investigation and those that needed to be informed were informed AS WELL AS THE MEDIA.

Those same Congressmen that are crying that they should have been informed are the same ones that got the report of those incidents.

The only thing they didn't get was the details that would jeopardize the investigation and copies of the pictures that were being held as evidence against those soldiers.

Where is this so called cover up?

Read what the news story states, "Ivan Frederick was distraught. His son, an Army reservist turned prison guard in Iraq, was under investigation earlier this year for mistreating prisoners."

Duhh, he was already, being investigated and his father knew his son was going to be held responsible for what he had done.

Where was the cover up?

You mention?

MillRatUSMC
05-09-04, 01:22 AM
Regardless, who leaked those photos, we got serious problems. <br />
As Scotty would say &quot;Jim, we got some problems down here!&quot; <br />
http://www.abcnews.go.com/wire/World/ap20040508_722.html <br />
When morale and...

rsta
05-09-04, 06:52 AM
This whole thing is very unfortunate, making the administration and the military look bad. That's exactly what it was suppose to do by bringing the photos public. CBS knew the hail storm this would cause, and that's why they found it so newsworthy. This isn't really about the mistreatment of Iraqi prisoners, it's about the upcoming election. That's right, the "P" word: politics. Were the actions of those few soldiers disgusting, yes. Is this the way America should treat prisoners, absolutely not. Was there an investigation in progress, apparently. Does this abuse warrant all the attention and press that it has received these past couple of weeks, I, for one, don't think so.

These few soldiers did wrong, they know it, and now they want to put the blame elsewhere. Being all you can be should start with being responsible for your own actions.

But, that's just my view on it.

Bob

Sparrowhawk
05-09-04, 07:00 AM
ARAB BROADCASTING CENTER?

ABC reported the news, now they tell us what THEY SAY was the real trouble, well sort of....

ABC in this story (sEE story link MillRatUSMC posted above) Lay down the excuse for those responsible in order to blame higher commandant, the president for taking us to war in the first place. Heck we should have never build those twin towers in the first place is probably what they'll end up saying, it’s our fault for having freedom and for living in a democracy.

These were "soldiers" serving in a time of war. In war there are no absolutes.

They signed up and they knew it. But look at what ABC pinpoints what does ABC news mean when they say..."adopting characteristics that appear closer to the Vietnam-era Army”?

<hr>

"command authority had been replaced by old friendships,"

"Karpinski, a Gulf War veteran and a business consultant in civilian life, is faulted for much that went wrong. But her job was never going to be easy."

"We were stretched thin and (headquarters) continued to assign us more missions far outside of our capabilities," the unit's commander, Brig. Gen. Janis Karpinski, told The Associated Press in an e-mail."

A"s time wore on, the isolated 320th MP Battalion drifted away from Army discipline, adopting characteristics that appear closer to the Vietnam-era Army than those of the professional force touted by the Pentagon"

"The battalion's commander, Lt. Col. Jerry Phillabaum, was described in the report as an "extremely ineffective" leader who left day-to-day operations to his second-in-command."

"At one point, Karpinski sent the overwrought Phillabaum to Kuwait for two weeks to "give him some relief from the pressure he was experiencing."