PDA

View Full Version : Controlling the Media and the Troops

thedrifter
05-08-04, 06:02 AM
05-07-2004

Controlling the Media and the Troops

By Ralf W. Zimmermann

When I grew up in the post-Vietnam War U.S. Army, many senior leaders made it very clear to me why the war in Southeast Asia hadn’t gone well for us: It was the news media and the politicians who had done us in! When the follow-on generations of Vietnam officers later climbed the ranks, media paranoia had made them believers in total control.

While media control in Grenada was fairly tight, it developed into a full straightjacket during Operation Desert Storm, which became the first totally manipulated TV war. Suddenly, the new heroes weren’t the little field grunts any longer, but the professional general officer briefers. The truth was perfectly spun to portray “certain victory” for the home front – even if it meant repeating the same gun-camera shots over and over again.

After media protests and Pentagon reviews, news coverage during the global war on terror was supposed to renew confidence in America’s free media. Sadly, instead of finding better access, reporters often found themselves in bed with, instead of embedded with the military.

How on earth could a journalist independently report, when he or she was completely on the hook for transportation, fuel, food and security? That status almost completely forced the embarked reporters to become one with the team – a concept the Pentagon control freaks had banked on.

So, how’s the spin today? Can you have confidence in the daily news and especially what our traveling politicians and officials tell you about the war in Iraq’s frontlines?

I have serious doubts.

Yes, many reporters and politicians talk to our troops during organized circus shows and come away with glowing reports of humane deeds and great victories. Of course, I like to see positive things happening – but I also know that in the daily combat grind not everything is rosy.

To really find out what’s happening, you have to level with those men and women who are looking into the eyes of the elephant – not the cozy and rehearsed HQ- types.

Many troops have recently told me that they feel somewhat perturbed how the brass is trying to make GI Joe into official mouthpieces of the Pentagon. I found proof of that in many command’s media instructions for their operations. The media – international and American – has become part of the enemy environment for many outfits.

Excerpts of one media assessment in Iraq read as follows:

“Local Area Assessment: There will be no increase in media attention paid to our area. Media attention may in fact decrease as media become reluctant to travel in to country and/or out of safer areas. Those media that are normally not inhibited by dangerous situations are likely to focus on the areas where major operations are ongoing and media due into Anaconda may divert to cover ‘hotter’ news.”

“Themes to be stressed:

“The people of Iraq are moving towards sovereignty and won’t be deterred by anti-coalition forces, terrorists and the enemies of Iraq from becoming a prosperous democratic nation.”

“Iraqi security forces and the coalition have the means to enforce the peace in Iraq and to destroy those who violate it.”

“Iraqis must chose – support the path to peace or join the anti-coalition forces that will be destroyed.”

“Messages to be sent:”

“The behavior of anti-coalition forces is not acceptable in sovereign Iraq, you will be held accountable for your actions.”

“Iraq’s path to the future is clear, violence is not a part of that path.”

“We will not be deterred in achieving Iraq’s success.”

Progress in Iraq will not be halted by a few.

“Talking points:”

“The conflict in Iraq is between extremism and moderation.”

“We expect the number of desperate acts by insurgents to increase as the country moves closer to sovereignty.”

“The desperate offenses committed, against the coalition, in Fallujah were outrageous and unacceptable, they will not go unanswered; but they are not representative of most people of Fallujah and Iraqis overall.”

“We will rid Fallujah of the enemy. The people of Fallujah must make a choice.

We will separate the enemy, isolate them and destroy them.”

The instructions go on and even include very specific answers to sensitive questions for rehearsal by the command’s troops.

So, if you believe that information isn’t controlled to the highest degree, think again. For a real picture of the truth, it’s probably advisable to compare several news sources – and rely more on the print media. Somehow, the print reporters still find better access to the real frontline GI Joe’s and Jane’s who haven’t yet rehearsed the Pentagon party lines.

DefenseWatch Senior Military Correspondent Lt. Col. Ralf W. Zimmermann, USA (Ret.) is a decorated Desert Storm veteran and former tank battalion commander. His recent novel, “Brotherhood of Iron,” deals with the German soldier in World War II. It is directly available from www.iUniverse.com and through most major book dealers. Zimm can be reached at r6zimm@earthlink.net or via his website at www.home.earthlink.net/~r6zimm. © 2004 LandserUSA. Please send Feedback responses to dwfeedback@yahoo.com.

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=DefenseWatch.db&command=viewone&op=t&id=472&rnd=643.6852451590961

Ellie

kentmitchell
05-08-04, 12:54 PM
What little I know about the media-military problem (and I am a newspaper writer) is that Marines usually give media fairly free rein while the army is so paranoid they try to control every keystroke on a computer.
The army hasn't learned about anything else, though, so why should they learn about dealing with the media.
If you let it all hang out, it's pretty hard for some ambitious media chipmunk to claim he/she uncovered something a la Deep Throat, and that's what they want--to be the next Bernstein/Woodward.
Journalism changed for the worse after that.

paul g fleming
05-08-04, 05:30 PM
I don't trust the media