PDA

View Full Version : Marine honored at Twentynine Palms for bravery in Iraq fighting

DOWNINGDJ
05-07-04, 10:25 AM
Marine honored at Twentynine Palms for bravery in Iraq fighting

By: Associated Press

ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- A 29-year-old Marine from upstate New York received the Navy's second highest award Thursday for charging into enemy trenches during an ambush in Iraq and continuing his attack after depleting his ammunition.

Marine Capt. Brian R. Chontosh, of Rochester, N.Y., received the Navy Cross Medal in a ceremony at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Training Center, Twentynine Palms, Calif. The Navy Cross is second only to the Congressional Medal of Honor.

"I was just doing my job," said Chontosh, who is married and expecting his first child. "I did the same thing every other Marine would have done."

On March 25, 2003, five days into the war, Chontosh led his platoon toward Ad Diwaniyah when the troops came under an ambush of enemy mortars, rocket propelled grenades and automatic weapons, Marine officials said.

Chontosh directed his driver into a hail of machine gun fire. His machine gunner returned fire.

Then Chontosh ordered the driver into the enemy trench, where he left the vehicle and depleted the ammunition in his service rifle and pistol. He twice picked up discarded enemy rifles and continued his attack, finally firing an enemy rocket propelled grenade launcher.

In the end, Chontosh killed more than 20 enemy soldiers and wounded several others.

"We're very excited and very proud, obviously very proud of all the young men and women over there and everybody over there," said his father, Rick Chontosh, who flew to San Diego with his wife to attend the ceremony.

Brian Chontosh served with the Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force based in Twentynine Palms.

More than 6,000 soldiers have been awarded Navy Cross Medals since World War I.

Super Dave
05-07-04, 11:07 AM
Now that's a leader! Sounds like one hell of a Marine...