PDA

View Full Version : Rochester, N.Y. Marine, receives Navy Cross

thedrifter
05-07-04, 06:02 AM
Rochester, N.Y. Marine, receives Navy Cross
Submitted by: MCB Camp Pendleton
Story Identification Number: 200456162723
Story by Cpl. Jeremy Vought

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif.(May 6, 2004) -- Marine Capt. Brian R. Chontosh received the Navy Cross Medal from the Commandant of the United States Marine Corps, Gen. Michael W. Hagee, during an awards ceremony Thursday at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Training Center, Twentynine Palms, Calif.

Three other Marines received medals for valor at the same ceremony.

Chontosh, 29, from Rochester, N.Y. , received the naval service's second highest award for extraordinary heroism while serving as Combined Anti-Armor Platoon Commander, Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom March 25, 2003. The Medal of Honor is the highest military award.

While leading his platoon north on Highway 1 toward Ad Diwaniyah, Chontosh's platoon moved into a coordinated ambush of mortars, rocket propelled grenades and automatic weapons fire. With coalitions tanks blocking the road ahead, he realized his platoon was caught in a kill zone.

He had his driver move the vehicle through a breach along his flank, where he was immediately taken under fire from an entrenched machine gun. Without hesitation, Chontosh ordered the driver to advanced directly at the enemy position enabling his .50 caliber machine gunner to silence the enemy.

He then directed his driver into the enemy trench, where he exited his vehicle and began to clear the trench with an M16A2 service rifle and 9 millimeter pistol. His ammunition depleted, Chontosh, with complete disregard for his safety, twice picked up discarded enemy rifles and continued his ferocious attack.

When a Marine following him found an enemy rocket propelled grenade launcher, Chontosh used it to destroy yet another group of enemy soldiers.

When his audacious attack ended, he had cleared over 200 meters of the enemy trench, killing more than 20 enemy soldiers and wounding several others.

"They are the reflection of the Marine Corps type who's service to the Marine Corps and country is held above their own safety and lives," said Gen. Hagee, commenting on the four Marines who received medals during the ceremony. "I'm proud to be here awarding the second highest and third highest awards for bravery to these great Marines."

"These four Marines are a reflection of every Marine and sailor in this great battalion," said Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, Sgt. Maj. John L. Estrada.

"I was just doing my job, I did the same thing every other Marine would have done, it was just a passion and love for my Marines, the experience put a lot into perspective," said Chontosh.

In effect since April 1917, and established by an Act of Congress on Feb. 4, 1919, the Navy Cross may be awarded to any person who, while serving with the Navy or Marine Corps, distinguishes himself/herself in action by extraordinary heroism not justifying an award of the Medal of Honor.

The action must take place under one of three circumstances: while engaged in action against an enemy of the United States; while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or, while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict in which the United States is not a belligerent party.
To earn a Navy Cross the act to be commended must be performed in the presence of great danger or at great personal risk and must be performed in such a manner as to render the individual highly conspicuous among others of equal grade, rate, experience, or position of responsibility.

More than 6,000 Navy Crosses have been awarded since World War I.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20045616358/$file/ChontoshLR.jpg

Marine Capt. Brian R. Chontosh received the Navy Cross Medal from the Commandant of the United States Marine Corps, Gen. Michael W. Hagee, during an awards ceremony Thursday at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Training Center, Twentynine Palms, Calif. Photo by: Cpl. Jeremy Vought

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/AD7532E3422B3B4B85256E8C00705EF1?opendocument

Ellie

thedrifter
05-07-04, 06:04 AM
Mt. Pleasant Marine receives Silver Star
Story Identification Number: 20045616503
Story by Cpl. Luis Agostini

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif.(May 6, 2004) -- Marine Lance Cpl. Armand E. McCormick, 22, received the Silver Star Medal
from the Commandant of the United States Marine Corps, Gen. Michael W. Hagee,
during an awards ceremony May 5 at Marine Air Ground Combat Training Center,
Twentynine Palms, Calif.

McCormick, a Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, native, received the military's third-highest
award for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against the enemy while serving
as rifleman for Combined Anti-Armor Platoon, Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th
Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, in support of
Operation Iraqi Freedom on March 25, 2003.

"They are the reflection of the Marine Corps type who's service to the Marine
Corps and country is held above their own safety and lives," said Gen. Hagee,
commenting on the four Marines who received medals during the ceremony. "I'm proud
to be here awarding the second highest and third highest awards for bravery to these great
Marines."

"These four Marines are a reflection of every Marine and sailor in this great
battalion," said Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, Sgt. Maj. John L. Estrada.

Under heavy fire McCormick exhibited exceptional bravery when the lead
elements of his battalion were ambushed with mortars, rocket propelled grenades, and
squad automatic weapons fire. Fearlessly he drove his lightly armored vehicle directly at
an enemy machine gun position and purposely crashed it into an occupied trench line.
With the initial breach of the enemy defense now gained for his unit, he sprang
from the vehicle and began assaulting the berm and ambush line with two Marines.
Taking direct fire, and outnumbered, he pressed forward, firing his M9 pistol at enemy
forces. Moving through the trench, he repeatedly came under enemy fire, each time
calmly taking well-aimed shots.
As the group ran low on ammunition, he collected enemy rifles and a rocket-
propelled grenade and continued to press the attack forward several hundred meters. As
a follow-on company began to make their entrance into the berm, he returned to his
vehicle and backed it out of the trench. McCormick's boldly aggressive actions greatly
reduced the enemy's ability to inflict casualties on the rest of his battalion.

"It's an honor of course, it is just another day in the Marine Corps," said
McCormick.

"I ready to go it again and help out with the situation," he said about redeploying
to Iraq. Consequently, McCormick will be redeploying to Iraq Friday.

"To me I did what I was suppose to do, I did what was expected," he added.

Established in 1918, the Silver Star is awarded to a person who is cited for
gallantry in action against an enemy of the United States while engaged in military
operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force, or while serving with
friendly foreign forces engaged in armed conflict against an opposing armed force in
which the United States is not a belligerent party. The required gallantry, while of a lesser
degree than that required for award of the Distinguished Service Cross, must nevertheless
have been performed with marked distinction.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20045617357/$file/McCormickLR.jpg

Marine Lance Cpl. Armand E. McCormick, 22, received the Silver Star Medal
from the Commandant of the United States Marine Corps, Gen. Michael W. Hagee,
during an awards ceremony May 5 at Marine Air Ground Combat Training Center,
Twentynine Palms, Calif. McCormick, a Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, native, received the military's third-highest
award for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against the enemy while serving
as rifleman for Combined Anti-Armor Platoon, Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th
Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, in support of
Operation Iraqi Freedom on March 25, 2003. Photo by: Cpl. Jeremy Vought

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/EAA74BC8BC842CC785256E8C00727223?opendocument

Ellie

thedrifter
05-07-04, 06:05 AM
Klamath Falls, Oregan Marine, receives Silver Star
Story Identification Number: 200456163855
Story by Cpl. Jeremy M. Vought

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif.(May 6, 2004) -- Marine Cpl. Robert P. Kerman received the Silver Star from the Commandant of the United States Marine Corps, Gen. Michael W. Hagee, during an awards ceremony Thursday at Marine Air Ground Combat Training Center, Twentynine Palms, Calif.

Kerman, 21, a Klamath Falls, Ore., native, received the military's third-highest award for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against the enemy while serving as a rifleman for Combined Anti-Armor Platoon, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom on March 25, 2003.

"They are the reflection of the Marine Corps type who's service to the Marine Corps and country is held above their own safety and lives," said Gen. Hagee, commenting on the four Marines who received medals during the ceremony. "I'm proud to be here awarding the second highest and third highest awards for bravery to these great Marines."

"These four Marines are a reflection of every Marine and sailor in this great battalion," said Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, Sgt. Maj. John L. Estrada.

Kerman exhibited exceptional bravery when the lead elements of the battalion were ambushed with mortars, rocket propelled grenades and automatic weapons fire.

As the vehicle he was traveling in drove directly into machine gun fire and into a trench line, Kerman sprang from the vehicle and began assaulting down the enemy occupied trench with two other Marines. As the enemy soldiers fired at him, he fearlessly plunged towards them firing his M16 with lethal accuracy. Continuing to move through the trench he repeatedly came under enemy fire.

Each time he would calmly occupy a steady firing position and take well-aimed shots that had devastating effects in the enemy.

As the group ran out of ammunition, they pressed forward 200 to 300 meters utilizing captured enemy AK-47s.

He showed no regard for his own personal safety, and his actions directly contributed to the successful outcome of the engagement.

"I was pretty scared at the time, but we knew what we had to do and we did it," said Kerman. "I did not expect (the award), maybe I just did the right thing."

Established in 1918, the Silver Star is awarded to a person who is cited for gallantry in action against an enemy of the United States while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force, or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party. The required gallantry, while of a lesser degree than that required for award of the Distinguished Service Cross, must nevertheless have been performed with marked distinction.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200456164117/$file/KermanLR.jpg

Marine Cpl. Robert P. Kerman received the Silver Star from the Commandant of the United States Marine Corps, Gen. Michael W. Hagee, during an awards ceremony Thursday at Marine Air Ground Combat Training Center, Twentynine Palms, Calif.
Kerman, 21, a Klamath Falls, Ore., native, received the military's third-highest award for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against the enemy while serving as a rifleman for Combined Anti-Armor Platoon, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom on March 25, 2003. Photo by: Cpl Jeremy Vought

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/400D4F2B6899AAC985256E8C00716D2C?opendocument

Ellie

thedrifter
05-07-04, 06:07 AM
Houston Marine receives Navy Cross <br />
Submitted by: MCB Camp Pendleton <br />
Story Identification Number: 200456172127 <br />
Story by cpl. Luis Agostini <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif.(May 6,...