PDA

View Full Version : Flag Question

Blindside8162
05-06-04, 07:51 PM
I've been wondering something for awhile and maybe you Marines can help me out with this. When people in the military wear flags on thier BDU's (or combat utilities as the case may be) why are the flags backwards? Its always seemed strange to me.....

mrbsox
05-06-04, 08:18 PM
The answer is in here, in SEVERAL other posts.

Do some searching, and post back if you cannot find it.

Not being mean, giving instruction.

Do for yourself ALL you can. Then rely on your fellow man, don't lean on him because you haven't tried.

Blindside8162
05-06-04, 08:19 PM
Sorry sir, I should have looked. Thanks.

mrbsox
05-06-04, 08:26 PM
No Problem,

'nuff said.

Let me know if you can't find it.

It'll make sense when you do !!

Terry

Blindside8162
05-06-04, 08:32 PM
Yes Sir, I found it. I never would have guessed though. You're right though it does make since once you think about it.

mrbsox
05-06-04, 09:19 PM
:) Well done.

Who's gonna want to watch your six, if they don't know you'll do everthing you can on your own first ??

Now, post the answer for anyone else that is browsing threads.

Blindside8162
05-07-04, 06:34 AM
Yes Sir. The flag is sewn onto the shoulder with the canton on the right side to simulate the flag waving against the wind. This symbolizes that the U.S. Military is always moving forward.

mrbsox
05-13-04, 08:58 PM
The 'canton' is known as the BLUE field. ALWAYS Forward

Thanks for 'growing some'. Keep moving forward.

Lake0300
05-13-04, 09:15 PM
Blindside, good work man. I didnt know the answer to that.

-Lake

jinelson
05-14-04, 12:26 AM
Lake - I see that your calming down and squareing away, keep it up, June 21 is right around the corner.

To the Marines of 3rd Bn Lima Company 3rd RTR that graduated from MCRD San Diego today - Congratulations and semper fi my little bro's,

YankeeDoodleAsh
05-16-04, 04:16 PM
I believe that only the Army wears the American flag on their BDUs. Is that correct?

cjwright90
05-17-04, 10:37 AM
Well taught mrbsox. Way to get him to learn himself. Good luck Lake. (Even though you are from Ohio and I am from Pittsburgh-Go Steelers!)LOL!

enviro
05-17-04, 12:35 PM
I believe that only the Army wears the American flag on their BDUs. Is that correct?

You are correct!

The Army wears the American Flag on their BDUs and the Marine Corps wears the American flag on their camouflage utilities.

enviro
05-17-04, 12:40 PM
Poolees -

Expect that you will be looking things up a lot in the Marine Corps. You'll need to learn where all of the information is at.

"You can catch a fish for a man and he will eat for a day - You can teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime"

I would rummage through www.usmc.mil and become familiar with its attributes.

Expect all of your NCOs to tell you to LOOK IT UP. Not because they don't know the answer, but because you are more apt to retain the information after a hard fought search. Right, Blindside? You won't forget, will you?

It teaches you self-drive and motivation. Survival....

I'll give you the tools - you have to use them

Blindside8162
05-18-04, 06:45 AM
No Sir I won't forget. I guess I got used to being handed all the info. I won't ask another question unless I can not figure it out myself. Thank you Sirs.

enviro
05-18-04, 08:11 AM
Keep asking the questions. Try some research first, but definitely keep asking the questions. The Marine Corps is so full of acronyms and lingo that it will make your head spin trying to figure it all out. We'll make sure you're heading in the right direction.

Also, the correct term is "Thank you, Gentlemen"

Now if you poolees really want to do some research, answer me this....

How many drill commands require you to step off with your right foot from the halt and what are they?

cjwright90
05-18-04, 09:19 AM
That will get them thinking, Enviro. Good one.

enviro
05-18-04, 02:07 PM
http://www.infocopter.com/clipart/stupid.jpg

No such thing as a stupid question

cjwright90
05-18-04, 03:56 PM
I agree that there are no such things as stupid questions, except the ones that aren't asked. I do have a few that might be in the running for stupid: I was working in my yard digging post holes and schlepping around fence sections when a couple people from my church walked by. Being the friendlies that they are in my church, the one girl (who happens to be the pastors daughter) walks up and in an effort to make conversation asks blondly, "What are you making a fence or something. Here's your sign.

mrbsox
05-18-04, 10:22 PM
I'm gonna take a stab at 2 commands.

I'll post later, let the poolee's dig awhile.

enviro
05-19-04, 09:00 AM
None of you Poolees will even take a guess???

I don't even believe this...

cjwright90
05-20-04, 11:15 AM
I can think of two from the top of my head. No poolee takers?

cjwright90
05-21-04, 07:24 AM
I bet Lake knows it. Seeley might too.

Booyah!
05-21-04, 08:13 AM
I think that there are three sir, right step, about face, and being dismissed.

enviro
05-21-04, 08:28 AM
Let me rephrase

How many "marching" drill movements require you to step off with your right foot from the halt and what are they?

You gave me one "marching" movement (which is correct) and two facing movements.

So far we have "Right Step, MARCH"

:marine:

cjwright90
05-21-04, 08:53 AM
Nice job Booyah, so far. Can you get more right footed marching commands?

Booyah!
05-21-04, 06:18 PM
I think that it might be a side-step right? Or something like it?

enviro
05-21-04, 08:36 PM
That would be Right (Left) Step, MARCH.

Booyah!
05-21-04, 08:41 PM
*Bangs head on keyboard*
I'll find it!

jeremy
05-21-04, 10:59 PM
round step march because it doesnt matter what foot you step off with

mrbsox
05-22-04, 07:43 AM
jeremy,

Do you mean "ROUTE STEP" March ??

I earlier stabbed 2, I'll go with 3 now that 'Right Step' has been refreshed to this old memory.

I'm thinking (from the halt)
"By the Left Flank" , and
"To the Rear" !!

enviro
05-22-04, 08:26 PM
The Marine Corps Drill Manual says there is only one. Right Step, MARCH.

However, some will be required to step off with their right foot with Close, MARCH.

Actually on "By the Left Flank" , and "To the Rear" you would step off with your left foot one step and then execute the movement.

Route Step, MARCH should not be given from the halt. And if it is mistakenly given, you would step off with your left foot.

If memory serves me correctly, a few Marines will also execute the movement with the right foot when the command “Column of Platoons in Line, Leading Platoon by the Right Flank, MARCH.” is given.

cjwright90
05-24-04, 09:50 AM
So Booyah gets 1/2 a cookie?

mrbsox
05-24-04, 01:58 PM
Make sure I'm straight on this...

From the HALT, the Command is; 'By the Left Flank, March'

Step off with the LEFT foot. You MUST take an extra step in order to pivot on the ball of the RIGHT foot, to execute.

I thought EXTRA steps were taboo ??

The 'Prepertory' (sp?) command can be given at any point of C.O.D. but the 'Command of Execution' MUST be given on the foot which will allow 1 step before execution of the manuver.

But... it's been a LONG TIME since any C.O.D.
Yep, a Lance Coolie used to get pulled out to do it.

Had the Lt. scratching his head that I knew what I was doing, and Gunny would just laugh :banana:

enviro
05-24-04, 03:40 PM
I apologize, I jumped the gun when including a left flank in my answer. In TO THE REAR you would take a step forward and then execute.

In BY THE RIGHT FLANK, assume you are halted at attention and you receive the command, For instructional purposes, By the RIGHT FLANK, MARCH. On the preparatory command BY THE RIGHT FLANK shift the weight of your body to the right leg without noticeable movement. On the command of execution MARCH, face 90 degrees to the right by pivoting on the ball of the right foot, at the same time taking a 30-inch step in the new direction with the left foot. The arms will began their natural swing, but will not be allowed to swing away from the body. You will continue to march in the new direction at a quick time cadence until given another command.

In BY THE LEFT FLANK, assume you are halted at attention and you receive the command, For instructional purposes, BY THE LEFT FLANK, MARCH. On the preparatory command BY THE LEFT FLANK shift the weight of your body to the right leg without noticeable movement. On the command of execution MARCH, face 90 degrees to the left by pivoting on the ball of the right foot, at the same time taking a 30-inch step in the new direction with the left foot (Step). The arms begin their natural swing but will not be allowed to swing away from the body. You will continue to march in the new direction at a quick time cadence until given another command.

mdavis
05-24-04, 05:24 PM
no such animal Jeremy.

mrbsox
05-24-04, 09:23 PM
Sounds like you've got the book out 'enviro' !!

I said it's been a long time, and some of that sounds famalier. Thanks for the refresher course.

Terry

naclyknine
06-01-04, 05:21 PM
Outstanding. Well done Marines. Clearly we have some stellar NCOs and future NCOs on this lash up. Makes an old guy proud.

Sempers

Lake0300
06-01-04, 06:38 PM
OLD GUY? What do you think they are? Enviro, bsox, cjwright.. man they're older then dirt!!!! When they were my age, the rifle range consisted of a shovel stuck in the ground about 20 meters out, with sling shots and large stones. :)

-Lake

HardJedi
06-01-04, 06:49 PM
Meters? Does the Marine Corps use meters now? I thought we had alway's used Yards? <br />
<br />
Come on now Lake, thought a hard charger like you would know that! <br />
<br />
( maybe things have changed in the last...

enviro
06-01-04, 10:51 PM
Meters / Yards - It's pretty confusing.

No one can make their mind up. I'm guessing because 1 meter = 1.0936133 yards. Not much to make a difference to some people. I personally always used yards on the rifle range.

However on the 500 meter line = Yards: 546.806649

On the 500 yard line = Meters: 457.2

The M16 Specs are describe as:

Primary function: Infantry weapon
Manufacturer: Colt Manufacturing and Fabrique Nationale Manufacturing Inc.
Length: 39.63 inches (100.66 centimeters)
Weight, with 30 round magazine: 8.79 pounds (3.99 kilograms)
Bore diameter: 5.56mm (.233 inches)
Maximum range :3,600 meters Maximum effective range:
Area target: 2,624.8 feet (800 meters )
Point target: 1,804.5 feet (550 meters )
Muzzle velocity: 2,800 feet (853 meters) per second
Rate of fire:
Cyclic: 800 rounds per minute
Sustained: 12-15 rounds per minute
Semiautomatic: 45 rounds per minute
Burst: 90 rounds per minute
Magazine capacity: 30 rounds
Unit Replacement Cost: $586

And Poolees, you may want to remember some of this information. Expect to be asked during the Battalion CO's inspection. You'll need to remember the measurements in meters. God save your soul if you can't answer......

The New M-16A4
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/images/M16w-att-s.jpg

The old M-16A2
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/images/m16a2.gif

HardJedi
06-01-04, 11:00 PM
WHAT? does EVERYONE get one of them big ass scopes now?

Lake0300
06-02-04, 06:45 AM
scope?! thought it was a flashlight...

-Lake

enviro
06-02-04, 06:56 AM
Nah, the same equipment was available for the A2 - I only used it once in MCT.

cjwright90
06-02-04, 05:06 PM
OLD GUY? What do you think they are? Enviro, bsox, cjwright.. man they're older then dirt!!!! When they were my age, the rifle range consisted of a shovel stuck in the ground about 20 meters out, with sling shots and large stones.

Lake, funny you should state about slings shots. You are so ugly your momma used to put you in a corner and feed you with a slingshot!

Older than dirt? Just because I have socks older than you and have farts that last longer than you have been alive does not make me old!