PDA

View Full Version : ROK Marines Question

yellowwing
05-06-04, 01:39 PM
A ROK Marine veteran just moved in across the hall from us. Does anyone know of an appropriate/traditional welcome gift?

I did hear of a survey that they asked Korean kids what they loved most. Mommy, beef, Daddy, in that order!

Super Dave
05-06-04, 01:59 PM
Kimchi (sp?) , Capt Q, Oscar, always popular korean treats...They all wated C-Rats when i was there too...

jdfairman
05-06-04, 02:10 PM
soju? (sp)

yellowwing
05-06-04, 02:34 PM
Thank you, sir! I found a local liqour store that sells Soju for $7 a pint.

Super Dave
05-06-04, 02:35 PM
ahhh forgot about soju....

I remember hitting the beach as part of Team Spirit 84. We had 1 company in amtracks..1 in helos..1in rubber boats..1 ROK Marine company in amtracks..i was running simulates Close Air Support missions on the beaches..F-4 and A-6's simulating straffing and bombing the beaches...while all of this was going on a momma-son and poppa-son were on the beach trying to sell Coke's, Moom-pies, USA and Korean flags...too funny....

yellowwing
05-06-04, 03:50 PM
...sounds like a project for Osotogary!

Lock-n-Load
05-06-04, 05:07 PM
:marine: yellowing....I saw the KMCs in combat when it meant life or death...the best gift you can give the KMCs is genuine...respect...and they will never disappoint you, ever...sayonara and Semper Fi:marine:

yellowwing
05-06-04, 05:16 PM
Ix-nay on the Soju. I talked to his uncle who runs our corner store (imagine that). He said, "No soju! He's a good guy, no drink, no smoke!"

Maybe just a nice cut of beef? He's only here until the end of the year. A business etiquette site recommended gifting something from my culture. A k-bar perhaps?

yellowwing
05-06-04, 09:35 PM
News flash! I just found out this ROKMCs name. Last name: Song first name: Humm. That's right Humm Song!

It was during this past winter that I found out his uncle, the store owner, was in the ROK air force as an admin type. I pointed to his nephew standing behind him, "He looks like he'd be a good Marine."

Its funny how the look and military bearing always gives us away! :marine: