PDA

View Full Version : 'Snort' teams up with STARBASE

thedrifter
05-06-04, 04:50 AM
'Snort' teams up with STARBASE
Submitted by: MCAS Beaufort
Story Identification Number: 2004430112449
Story by Lance Cpl. C. Alex Herron

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION BEAUFORT, SC(April 30, 2004) -- A 2004 Lowcountry Air Show performer spoke to Fightertown's Science Technology Academy Reinforcing Basic Aviation and Space Exploration program students on how math and science are used by pilots to fly aircraft, April 22.

Capt. Dale “Snort” Snodgrass visited the children to explain how to use math and science to determine what a pilot does in different situations.

“I like to come to the STARBASE’s and talk to the kids,” Snodgrass said. “We plan our air show schedule around the bases with STARBASE programs.”

Began 12 years ago, the STARBASE program is held on 49 military installations in 30 states, District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
“We are the only STARBASE program at a Marine Corps installation,” said Wendell V. Roberson Sr., executive director, STARBASE. “People call our program a field trip, but they learn a lot and get a lot of hands on training in the five-day course.”
Snodgrass, who has flown for three decades, loves the opportunity to fly, and share his experience and knowledge.

“It is a privilege to be able to continue to do what I truly love to do, fly,” Snodgrass said. “I am able to share my passion with communities across the country and help teach children in the STARBASE programs that math and science are critical in flight.”

Snodgrass flew an F-86 Saber in the Lowcountry Air Show and demonstrated to the children why he enjoys the aircraft.
“My favorite aircraft is my Saber,” Snodgrass said. “It is very smooth. Its controls seem to flow smoothly. I like that.”

Snodgrass is an experienced air show pilot with 12 years of F-14 Tomcat demonstrations and more than 500 low level performances.

“I have flown over 12 different jets in my air show career,” Snodgrass said. “I have a lot of experience in the air. I love to share my knowledge with kids who already have a particular interest in flight.”

Snodgrass enjoys speaking at STARBASE’s around the country. He likes to give the kids a familiar face at the upcoming air show.

“It is fun to come in, talk with the kids and let them feel they have a connection with one of the performers as they come out during the weekend,” Snodgrass said. “I like to walk around and see the kids come up to me who remember me from our talk a few days before.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200443011286/$file/Snort_low.jpg

Capt. Dale "Snort" Snodgrass explains to a group of children how pilots heavily depend on math and science. Photo by: Lance Cpl. C. Alex Herron

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/243B85D6A413A9F085256E860054AB6C?opendocument

Ellie