PDA

View Full Version : Hamill's Daring Escape

Sparrowhawk
05-03-04, 07:58 PM
Hamill's Daring Escape
and a question after you read the story....

Ex-hostage heard Humvees, made a run for it
Wife to meet Hamill at Ramstein after his daring escape in Iraq

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040503/040503_hamillnew_hmed_8a.h2.jpg

Thomas Hamill, center, is seen with two U.S. Army soldiers, shortly after his escape south of Tikrit in this picture released Monday.

NBC News and news services
Updated: 2:45 p.m. ET May 03, 2004BAGHDAD, Iraq - American truck driver Thomas Hamill was holed up in a 6-foot-by-6-foot windowless stone shack in central Iraq when he decided to make a run for it, U.S. military officials said Monday, providing the most detailed account of how the civilian military contractor was able to escape from his armed abductors after three weeks in captivity.

Hamill, 43, of Macon, Miss., was flown to Ramstein Air Base in Germany and then transferred to the U.S. military's Landstuhl Regional Medical Center for treatment of a minor gunshot wound after his dash to freedom and rescue by a U.S. Army patrol.

“He’s doing good, very good,” Marie Shaw, a spokeswoman for the hospital, said Monday. “He’s in the medical surgical ward. He should be able to go home by the end of the week.”

Hamill was expected to reunite with his wife, Kellie Hamill, at Landstuhl on Tuesday, officials said.

At a news conference in the Iraqi capital on Monday, soldiers who assisted Hamill said that, after hearing the sound of their Humvees nearby, the prisoner kicked down a metal-plate door propped up by a piece of wood and made a stumbling dash across tomato fields with only socks on his feet.

“He was shouting ’I’m an American, I’m an American POW (prisoner of war)’ and he was waving his shirt above his head,” 1st Lt. Joseph Merrill, one of the soldiers who came across Hamill, told a news conference Monday as he described the first sight of the hostage.

‘He was just real happy to see us’
“He was unshaven and thinner than when he was taken, but other than that he was OK. He was just real happy to see us.”

Hamill, a dairy farmer who came to Iraq to make money and pay off debts at home, was kidnapped on April 9 after his convoy came under attack west of Baghdad. He was working for Kellogg, Brown & Root, a subsidiary of U.S. group Halliburton.

Hamill was seized in the town of Abu Ghraib, west of Baghdad, but was being held in a remote village near Samarra, 62 miles north of Baghdad, when he escaped.

His fate had been unknown since he appeared in a videotape released the next day by his captors, who threatened to kill him within 12 hours unless the siege of Fallujah was lifted.

Soldiers from ’C’ company of the 108th Infantry Regiment, a New York National Guard unit attached to the 1st Infantry Division, were patrolling just a few hundred yards away when they saw a man running toward them.

“We were checking out a broken (oil) pipeline,” said Capt. George Rodriguez, the company commander. “At first we thought it was an Iraqi farmer, but then we heard him shouting that he was an American and quickly realized that it was Hamill.”

They bundled him into a Humvee and got him out of the immediate area before treating his arm and offering him food and water. He took the water, but declined the food, saying he had already been fed that morning.

Captors fled, abandoning weapon
Then, on Hamill’s suggestion, they went back to the stone bungalow house near where he was held to see if they could catch his captors. The soldiers found an AK-47 assault rifle abandoned outside the front door and then arrested two men working in the fields nearby.

“He was basically in the middle of nowhere,” said Sgt. Mark Forbes, another member of ’C’ company. “It’s like desert and nothing else all around out there.”

Rodriguez said the nearest house was probably a mile or more away across swathes of barren scrub and flat fields used to grow tomatoes and other vegetables.

Hamill said he had been moved to the shack next to the farmhouse that morning. Inside he had some simple medical supplies, snack food and a basic bed made out of cushions and a blanket. He didn’t know what day of the week it was.

The soldiers asked him why he didn’t try to escape sooner.

“He said, ’I could have escaped a bunch of times but where was I going to go? I only had a bottle of water, and no map, what was I going to do?”’ Forbes recounted.

Hamill’s abduction came at the height of the wave of kidnappings of foreigners sparked by the intense violence that began in early April. An American soldier, Pfc. Keith M. Maupin, remains in the hands of kidnappers, as do three other Italian security guards.

Wife: ‘Best wake-up call I’ve ever had’
Kellie Hamill said she got a call at about 5:50 a.m. telling her that her husband, a truck driver for a subsidiary of the Halliburton Corp., had been found alive. He later called home, “the best wake-up call I’ve ever had,” she said.

“He sounded wonderful, so wonderful. He said he was fine,” Kellie Hamill told The AP. “He said he was more worried about his mom, his grandmother, me and our kids.”

She said he told her he had been locked in a building and “he said he heard a military convoy come by and pried the door open. He said he ran half a mile down the road and got with the convoy. Isn’t that something?”

Kellie Hamill said she did not know when he would return to the United States. “He said there was a lot going on. He didn’t know when he would get back because they are doing a bunch of other stuff,” she said, referring to questioning by military officials and health checkups.

Kellie Hamill said her children were ecstatic.

“They can’t wait to see their father. Our daughter (age 12) is just bounding around the house,” she said. “It’s going wild here. It’s calls, calls, calls and people at the door.”

‘A parade that will not end’
Mayor Dorothy Baker Hines said she told Kellie Hamill that as soon as her husband is back “we’re going to have a parade that will not end.”

“I’ve been calling people all morning waking them up and telling them the good news and they don’t mind,” she said. “I can’t imagine what this family has gone through.”

The whole town was buzzing about Hamill being safe, said Kenny Miller, who said he grew up with Hamill and was a lifelong friend.

“I was really worried about him — finding him alive— but he’s free now and that’s wonderful,” said Miller, who works at a hardware store.

“I’m proud for his family. I know this has brought our community together. Everybody around here had prayers for him again last night.”

Gov. Haley Barbour called Hamill’s escape “a wonderful miracle.”

“We still have a lot of people in harm’s way. Just yesterday, a young man from Mississippi was killed over there,” the governor said. “It’s great to have something wonderful like this to happen.”

Halliburton issued a statement from its Houston office saying “we are extremely grateful for the safety of Tommy, a father and husband as well as our friend and co-worker.”

“Tommy is a courageous hero and we are proud of his resolve, resilience and refusal to give up hope,” the company said.

NBC's Preston Mendenhall in Ramstein and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

the question now, is should he, Hamill be awarded the Purple Heart Medal?

mrbsox
05-03-04, 08:10 PM
NO !!

It's a Military award.

Period.

End of conversation.

Terry

Toby M
05-03-04, 08:31 PM
Who would ask such a question? I agree with mrbsox 100%!

Osotogary
05-03-04, 08:36 PM
Not a chance ...although stranger things have happened during this conflict.

Sparrowhawk
05-03-04, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Toby M
Who would ask such a question? I agree with mrbsox 100%!

The Purple Heart
The Purple Heart is awarded to any member of an Armed Force or any civilian national of the United States who has been wounded or killed

I knew that surviving members of a military men killed in action could be awarded the medal, but until last year I didn't know that a civilian could be awarded the medal.

mrbsox
05-03-04, 08:58 PM
I know there are civillian awards like the 'Freedom Medal' (??) and others, but the P.H. ??

It would make a good read, but I still say NO. That could make every victim of any terrorist act a recipient.

NO !!

Does his situation equal YOUR P.H. ??

You are more worthy to say than I.

Terry

Sparrowhawk
05-03-04, 09:00 PM
Knew about it, but haven't seen it posted anywhere where a civilian killed or wounded got the medal..
Trying to find where I read it, i know it was a military source...

Anyone?

greensideout
05-03-04, 09:01 PM
Interesting question---We do have an "Army" of contract civilians in Iraq. From what I have read, the second largest next to our real military force.

A Purple Heart? Hell no! He went for the money, not honor.

(I am however, glad that he made it out.)

Sparrowhawk
05-03-04, 09:08 PM
Paragraph 2-8, Army Regulation 600-8-22 (Military Awards)
25 February 1995

http://www.americal.org/awards/ph.htm

mrbsox
05-03-04, 09:10 PM
http://www.honours.homestead.com/uspurh.html

g The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year1998 (Public Law 105-85)
changed the criteria to delete authorization for award of the Purple Heart Medal to any
civilian national of the United States while serving under competent authority in any
capacity with the Armed Forces. This change was effective 18 May 1998.

:no:

greensideout
05-03-04, 09:12 PM
That smells like the Clinton years.

Sparrowhawk
05-03-04, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by mrbsox

Does his situation equal YOUR P.H. ??

You are more worthy to say than I.

Terry

I don't know, you be the judge...

http://vietnamdiary.bizland.com/PurpleHeart.chtml

mrbsox
05-03-04, 09:22 PM
Criteria:
A The Bronze Star is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity in or with
the militaryof the United States after 6 December 1941, distinguished himself by heroic or
meritorious achievement or service, not involving participating in aerial flight, whil engaged in an
action against an enemy of the United States; while engaged in military operations involving
conflict with an opposing force; or while serving with friendly foreign forcs engaged in an armed
conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerant party.

It says ANY PERSON..... any capacity....

:no: :no: :no:

MillRatUSMC
05-03-04, 09:32 PM
During WW II it was awarded to USO troupers as it states below;

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/wmrau.htm

Thank you for printing that letter, Ann. Wynn Murray was my sister. Shortly after Wynn performed for those troops, she was hit with shrapnel in New Guinea, for which she received the Purple Heart. She was lucky. Two young chorus girls from the
company were killed. Later, Wynn went to the European theater, where she met and married a captain in the U.S. Army. She then retired and settled down as an Army wife. She and her husband had three daughters, Mary, Alice and Kathleen.

I been looking for a photo of Wynn Murray, no luck so far.
She was a singer and actress but not a big name performer...

Seeing that he was under contract to a company doing business with the military, he meets all the criteria for receiving the Purple Heart...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

greensideout
05-03-04, 09:47 PM
Criteria:
A The Bronze Star is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity in or with
the militaryof the United States after 6 December 1941, distinguished himself by heroic or
meritorious achievement or service, not involving participating in aerial flight, whil engaged in an
action against an enemy of the United States; while engaged in military operations involving
conflict with an opposing force; or while serving with friendly foreign forcs engaged in an armed
conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerant party.

It also says, distinguished---heroic---meritorious---and action against an enemy.

kentmitchell
05-04-04, 11:07 AM
Hamill's action might not be heroic but it sure as hell was distinguished.
He lifted one more monkey off the back of all of us by rescuing himself.
I'd give him a Bronze Star. He deserves it a helluva lot more than many who got it as part of getting their ticket punched for promotion.
Yeah, he went for the money but he went into that stuff unarmed, too. I don't think I'd want to do that.
And having army guards is about the same as being unarmed.

mrbsox
05-04-04, 01:07 PM
Let me clarify something I posted.

Sparrowhawk PMd mewith a concern. If I offended in a Public forum, then let me appologize in public also.

My position is NO, the Purple Heart is a Military award. But it has been pointed out, and I researched it also, that congress has seen fit to make civilians eligable also.

Just because you have a RIGHT, doesn't make it RIGHT.

But I do NOT have a Purple Heart, or the experience of earning it, to compare a Combat earned award to Hamills situation.

I asked Sparrowhawk if HE thought Hamill was worthy of the P.H., since he had EARNED his, in combat, watching his brother die. Not having one, it is a distinction I am not qualified to weigh with more than my OPINION.

But if you have not read the link Cook posted a few frames back, or his posts "VIETNAM DIARY" here on the site, then I encourage you to.

One day, someone sees a Veteran wearing a Purple Heart, and says,

'Oh, a Purple Heart, Civilians get that too......'

NO, it shouldn't happen !!

Terry

Super Dave
05-04-04, 01:13 PM
The Purple Heart should be for military members only..

greensideout
05-04-04, 08:49 PM
Criteria:

If I am correct, this was added because of the awards that were given in WW II.

A Citation was given to the men of WW II for valor and heroic conduct against the enemy in combat. "A piece of paper".

The change was made so that they could receive the Bronze Star because the citation met the requirements of that award.

If you know one, let him or his family know. Application for the award must be made.

Semper Fi

mrbsox
05-04-04, 09:25 PM
are available. Go to the link I posted a few frames back, top of the page.

I have witnessed one such award, delivered by an Army Lt. Gen. for services rendered.

Granted it was NOT combat related or anything like that, but there ARE awards for civilians. DON'T USE MILITARY AWADS for civilians. That's all I'm saying.

greensideout
05-05-04, 07:28 PM
I agree sox!-?

locobrujo
05-05-04, 08:25 PM
There have been MANY contractors who have been killed or wounded while supporting the military. I believe what makes most of them ineligible is the fact that they are/were civilian "contractors" working with the government, not civilian government employees such as a civil service employee. Most contractors don't expect to be awarded military medals, nor do they want to be treated like the military while they are at work. I am a contractor myself and some of my coworkers have been contracting for over 40 years in places like: Vietnam, Iran, El Salvador, Colombia, Afghanistan, Desert Storm, Panama, Somalia, and Iraq. One friend, who died last year, was shot down three times while working in Vietnam and Northern Laos; once while in the Army and twice as a contractor. He was shot, broke his back, broke his neck, and sustained other injuries. He never asked for, or received any medals (as a civilian), except for recognition that they were there (Air America), which they eventually received.

That's my opinion...

greensideout
05-05-04, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by locobrujo
There have been MANY contractors who have been killed or wounded while supporting the military. I believe what makes most of them ineligible is the fact that they are/were civilian "contractors" working with the government, not civilian government employees such as a civil service employee. Most contractors don't expect to be awarded military medals, nor do they want to be treated like the military while they are at work. I am a contractor myself and some of my coworkers have been contracting for over 40 years in places like: Vietnam, Iran, El Salvador, Colombia, Afghanistan, Desert Storm, Panama, Somalia, and Iraq. One friend, who died last year, was shot down three times while working in Vietnam and Northern Laos; once while in the Army and twice as a contractor. He was shot, broke his back, broke his neck, and sustained other injuries. He never asked for, or received any medals (as a civilian), except for recognition that they were there (Air America), which they eventually received.

That's my opinion...

"Air America". Doesn't that really mean---CIA? Just wondering. Not really, I know the answer.

The "contract army" has been in operation for a long time but is especially important now to hold back the need for the draft prehaps.

I understand that you guys get a nice paycheck, (from the American taxpayers). Do you think that is fair considering the "Real Troops" get so little pay compared to the contract folks? If you are paid a large sum just think how much is being raked off the top--- Tax dollars of the American people.

I'm not taking a swing at you---but I think the current set-up, (that is the "for real troops" vs "contract troops") needs a hard look by Congress.

Silva0311
05-05-04, 10:00 PM
speaking of purple hearts, i know this has nothing to do with what you all are speaking about, but i met this girl who was in ROTC and she came over to my house and made a comment on how she got more medals and ribbons than me, ( i earned 7, not bad for only 4 years), anyways she even told me she was awarded a Purple Heart. she showed me a picture of her in her uniform ans lo and behold, there it was, a Purple Heart. isnt that something that they would cheapen the medal by awarding it high schoolers. that ****ed me off and i let her know it. anyone else hear of something like that, or was she bs me, but i saw it in her photograph and biography.

namgrunt
05-06-04, 12:07 AM
Regarding Sliva0311's new friend, someone needs to contact her ROTC commander and find out what he is doing passing out combat medals to civilian gonnabe's. It isn't right!
To the best of my understanding, the PH is supposed to be given under authority of the President of the United States. It doesn't come packed in Cracker Jack boxes, for kids to wear on their pj's or GI Joe jackets.

And, as mrbsox wrote and GSO highlights, the Bronze Star Medal meant something back in the "old" days. Nowadays, they give them out in the Army, at OIF, if someone shoots at you, or so it appears. I recall a posting I read here some time back, which listed the number of medals issued by the various branches for all operations to date in Iraq. Literally tens of thousands of Bronze Stars have been awarded up to that time. How can they be valuable as awards of distinction when they are everywhere? They would seem to be almost as common as the National Defense Medal for some branches of service over there.

cjwright90
05-06-04, 07:47 AM
Even though the "rules" governing the issuance of the Purple Heart say it is ok to award to civilians, I disagree. Perhaps some other type of award, for service, even as a contractor. But the PH is and should be a military award. CJ out.

Sparrowhawk
05-06-04, 09:17 AM
The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year1998 (Public Law 105-85)

changed the criteria to delete authorization for award of the Purple Heart Medal to any civilian national of the United States while serving under competent authority in any capacity with the Armed Forces. This change was effective 18 May 1998.

<hr>

Wasn't the a medal awarded to civilians killed or injured on 9-11?

Again, I think I read somewhere that they all received some new type of medal?