PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices Going UP?

usmc4669
05-03-04, 04:30 PM
As I set here trying to type this I keep thinking back to the 70's when gas was .59 cents a gal. That was before our do good-errs made us use gas that was non-leaded. Now I know that some of you wasn't even born then, ask your parents about gas prices back in the 70' and 80's. Here in Abilene, TX the gas just jumped to $1.75 a gal, I know that it is higher in other parts of the United States. Now someone said the reason for gas prices going up is because of our Vice President Chaney, that he is making millions of dollars off of it. How can we as Citizens stop the Major Oil Companies for sticking it up our butts? Anyone ever hear of BOYCOTT? I know that this would be hard to do, that's to get the American Citizens to Boycott Major Oil Companies. Send them a message that they can remember. First we would find out just how many Oil Companies sell Gass here in the States, take half of them and Boycott them for 6 months, DO NOT BUY GAS FROM THEM FOR 6 MONTHS, even if they deduce their prices. Stay with the other half. Now after 6 months BOYCOTT the other half of the Oil Companies for 6 months.Send them a message that we will not pay their prices anymore. Could this be done?

sgt.lane
05-03-04, 04:59 PM
six months might send the message but I do not think it will hit them financially. It would have to be longer than that....................

paul g fleming
05-03-04, 05:36 PM
gas was 17 a gal. 1950

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-03-04, 05:53 PM
If you look at the rate of inflation for goods and services compared to the price of gas, you will quickly see that gas is much cheaper than other things. Sure, it sucks that I paid $1.77 a gallon to fill up on Saturday and I need gas again. (I fill up three times a week on average) but I understand that it has to be done.

More importantly, it isn't ALL the oil companies fault. You can blame much of the price increase on the environmental movement. It is much more than simply using unleaded gasoline though. Presently, states and often cities pass laws declaring what must be done to gas to make it cleaner. If every single state adopted the same standard, it wouldn't be a big deal. But, since gas that can be sold in Texas can't be sold in Washington or California (The lists are endless, but you get the idea) the oil companies actually have to refine oil for one market, change the system slightly and refine for another market. This is costly and ineffective.

Boycotting the companies isn't the answer. The answer is to get Congress to use thier power under the Commerce Clause to set a single national standard for gasoline. The oil companies will thank you and so will your check book.

usmc4669
05-03-04, 06:16 PM
Boycotting the companies isn't the answer. The answer is to get Congress to use thier power under the Commerce Clause to set a single national standard for gasoline. The oil companies will thank you and so will your check book.

Thanks for the good input, glad that someone knows a little about why we are paying more for gas. yes I know rate of inflation for goods and services have gone up, then part of that is due to price increase of fuel. I know that the Government could take off the gas tax and bring the cost down. You live in a oil producing State same as I do. We have a lot of our wells caped and not pumping, also somewhere I heard that we have refineries that are closed. I sure do miss the gas wars of the 50's and 60's, .15 cents per gal, that was the GOOD OLD DAYS, then minimum wage was .60 cents an hour. yes the GOOD OLD DAYS.:banana:

Lock-n-Load
05-03-04, 06:49 PM
:marine:When I went to El Paso, Texas in 1980...my Texas hosts would drive into Jaurez, Mexico for lower gas prices...any of you Texas Marines near Mexico still do it, and what's the present Mexican price?? :marine:

Sgted
05-05-04, 10:46 PM
I,ve also heard and read that the demand for crude oil world wide has increased significantly in recent years. China is one country that has the need for ever more barrels of crude. This is, in part, due to the fall of communism in that country. Producers of crude simply have not kept up.
My complaint lies in the speed in which gas prices rise. 2 cents today, 4 cents tomorrow. Its not unusual to see prices go up 2 or 3 times per week by 4, 5 or 6 cents per gallon.