PDA

View Full Version : Survivor of Orange County mountain lion attack describes ordeal

thedrifter
05-03-04, 07:42 AM
Survivor of Orange County mountain lion attack describes ordeal

ASSOCIATED PRESS
5:09 p.m. May 1, 2004

LOS ANGELES – When a 112-pound mountain lion attacked bicyclist Anne Hjelle, breaking her nose and slashing the flesh on her face, she thought she wanted to die.

Hjelle then remembered her husband of three years, James.

"I knew that for him to lose me would be devastating," the 31-year-old told "Inside Edition" in an interview to air Monday.

It's the first time Hjelle has spoken to the media since the Jan. 8 mauling, when a cougar that had only hours earlier killed a 35-year-old man attacked her as well. Portions of her interview were published Saturday in the Orange County Register.

Hjelle had been bicycling with a group of friends in south Orange County's Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park when the mountain lion pounced, pulling her to the ground and mauling her viciously.

"The thing I remember very clearly is his power," said Hjelle, a gym trainer and former Marine. "It was unreal. It felt like 10 guys attacking me at once. There's absolutely no way I was any match for this animal."

Friend and riding partner Debi Nicholls intervened, at one point engaging in a tug-of-war as the mountain lion had Hjelle's head in its jaws and was trying to drag her away.

Two other riders helped fight off the cat, throwing rocks and other objects. It finally let go, and Hjelle was airlifted to a local hospital. Sheriff's deputies later shot and killed the mountain lion.

"Honestly, once the lion took off, I thought, 'I'm in the clear now. I'm good,'" she said. "Never once did I think I might bleed to death, I might still die. It never occurred to me."

Her plastic surgeon said Hjelle will need three to five more surgeries over the next few years to help alleviate the damage from the attack. But she isn't worried.

"I'm not concerned about the scars. I'm just thankful to be alive," Hjelle said. "I just know God will get me through it, and he's never going to give me more than I can handle. And wow, if he thought I could handle this, it's big."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20040501-1709-ca-mountainlionattack.html

Ellie