PDA

View Full Version : Sergeant major retires after 30 years of service

thedrifter
04-30-04, 06:13 AM
Sergeant major retires after 30 years of service
Submitted by: MCAS Miramar
Story Identification Number: 200442918931
Story by Lance Cpl. John Sayas

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION MIRAMAR, Calif.(April 29, 2004) -- Sgt. Maj. Michael A. Spruel put on his uniform for the last time as an active-duty Marine when he relinquished his position as Marine Corps Air Bases Western Area sergeant major to Sgt. Maj. Thomas H. Howard during a relief and appointment ceremony at Airfield Operations here April 23. He retired after 30 years of service in the Marine Corps.

"There is nothing in the world that means more to me than getting up every day and putting on this uniform," said Spruel as he sat in his office filled with memorabilia reminding him of where he has been in his Marine Corps career.

"My career has been great," he continued. "There aren't too many Marines who stick around for 30 years and go to work just for a paycheck. There is the pride and the camaraderie, and the fact that I get to work with young people every day who are motivated and willing to put their life on the line for what they believe in, for their country, and something bigger than themselves."

Spruel retired after serving two years as the MCABWA sergeant major, but has held several other billets as a senior-enlisted Marine. He was first promoted to sergeant major in June 1995 and assigned to 1st Recruit Training Battalion at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego. He also served as sergeant major for Marine Aircraft Group 46, Marine Wing Support Squadron 372, based out of Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, and MWSS-171 based out of Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan.

Although he is trained to work in the motor transportation field, Spruel spent much of his career on the drill field conducting training for thousands of young men looking to earn the title of United States Marines. His three tours on the drill field beginning in 1977 moved him up the ranks from sergeant to sergeant major.

"Why did I spend three tours?" asked the Philadelphia native. "Because it was instant gratification. I got to see the fruits of my labor and the fruits of my drill instructors' labor every three months. I got to see the making of Marines."

Spruel recalled the look on many mothers' faces when they saw their sons march along the parade deck and saw how proud those parents were of them. He said those moments were most memorable because "at that time (of graduating recruit training) you thought you achieved the hardest thing in your lifetime."

"Only you claim that title Marine," Spruel said, referring to the many Marines who are currently serving or those who have served before. "We are the smallest of all the military services, but nobody has more respect than what is garnered by a United States Marine."

As he prepares to move into a new life as a full-time college student and spend more time with his wife and son, Spruel hoped that his duties were seen as being fulfilled through the eyes of his superiors and Marines serving under him. Spruel said throughout his career he always had the best interests of both his commanding officer and enlisted Marines in mind.

"He has always looked out for the welfare of all his Marines on base," said Sgt. David H. Nuttall, commanding general's driver, MCABWA, and Santa Maria, Calif., native. "Of course he gives me a hard time all the time, but he makes sure that I am getting somewhere. He is constantly looking out for my best interests."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200442918410/$file/040423-M-2456-sgtmajretiremlo.jpg

Retiring Sgt. Maj. Michael A. Spruel presents a gift to Sgt. Maj. John L. Estrada, sergeant major of the Marine Corps, who attended the ceremony that also saw Sgt. Maj. Thomas H. Howard posted as the Marine Corps Bases Western Area sergeant major. Photo by: Lance Cpl. John Sayas

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/B5B8AAE348256F8A85256E850079B8B7?opendocument

Ellie