PDA

View Full Version : Motor T Marine draws his own future

thedrifter
04-28-04, 06:26 AM
Motor T Marine draws his own future
Submitted by: MCB Camp Lejeune
Story Identification Number: 2004427141957
Story by Pfc. Matthew K. Hacker

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C.(April 23, 2004) -- A motor transportation operator, currently holding a dispatching billet, with Service Company, 8th Communication Battalion, II Marine Expeditionary Force here, spends most of his spare time with a paintbrush in his hand.

Lance Cpl. Michael Inscho is influenced by everything he sees, and in turn, he puts it down on paper. Whether it is a traditional sunset over the ocean or something as simple as one of his fellow Marines sitting at their desk, Inscho portrays it as an opportunity to draw.

“I can remember back when I was in third and fourth grades, and my teachers would always call my mom and tell her I was drawing in class,” said Inscho. “I would get in trouble, but I didn’t care. I would just have to go to my room, where I would continue to draw.”

Inscho continued to excel in art throughout junior high school by taking various classes and also drawing and painting in his own time.

“Then, when I came to high school, I was took several art classes,” he said. “I really got to express my artistic abilities a lot more there. There was a syllabus of what’s required, but you always had projects you could create yourself. Those were always my favorites.”

Inscho enlisted in the Marine Corps June 25, 2001, at the age of 20.

“I wasn’t ready to go to college, so I decided to check out the military services,” said Inscho. “I figured if I was going to join the military, I might as well do it right the first time. Everything I heard about the Marine Corps was good, so I joined.”

After the Bath, N.Y., native went to recruit training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, S.C., where he was an artist recruit; he continued his training at Fort Leonardwood, Mo., where he attended motor transportation school.

“In boot camp, you name it I had to paint it,” said Inscho. “From the range flag to the drill instructor cover wall hanging.”

After school, Inscho relocated here for his first duty station, where he continued expressing his passion for the arts.

He painted several Marine Corps-related murals on the walls of his shop at the 8th Communication Battalion’s motor pool, and he continues to do so whenever he has spare time.

Some of his murals include scenes from the Vietnam War, an image of the flag raising at Iwo Jima, and he is working on painting a collage of old Marine Corps recruiting posters.

“I prefer doing landscapes and cars, but I feel honored to be able to exhibit my talent in my shop,” said Inscho.

Even while deployed Inscho continued to draw whenever he wasn’t driving or working on a High Mobility Multi-Purpose Wheeled Vehicle.

“I brought pads and colored pencils with me to Kuwait when I went for six months,” he said. “They had me making signs at our battalion’s main site. I painted on cardboard and pieces of wood they gave me. That’s why I brought my stuff, I knew they’d be asking me.”

Lance Cpl. Robert F. Beamiss, motor transportation operator with 8th Communication Battalion and Inscho’s fellow Marine and friend, had nothing but good things to say about Inscho’s artistic abilities.

“His drawing has progressed so much,” said Beamiss. “I’m glad he’s finally getting recognized for his talents. He’s definitely worked hard on his murals. I’m going to have him design one of my tattoos.”

Inscho has designed four or five tattoos in the past for friends in high school.

“They would always wants something original or specific, so I would just design it myself,” said Inscho.

Inscho has designed his motor transport platoon’s platoon t-shirt and continues to use his passion in various ways throughout the Marine Corps.

“I feel so honored, I really do,” said Inscho. “My paintings will be here on the walls of this shop a long time, and hopefully, Marines in years to come will see my murals and be motivated by them like I am.”

Inscho is scheduled to separate from the Marine Corps in June 2005, and he is currently juggling between going to college or re-enlisting in the graphic arts field.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004427142748/$file/inscho1_lowres.jpg

Lance Cpl. Michael Inscho, a motor transportation operator and currently holding a dispatching billet with Service Company, 8th Communication Battalion, II Marine Expeditionary Force here, is determined to finish the painting he started earlier this year.
The Bath, N.Y., native spends most of his free time drawing and prefers drawing landscapes and cars but is honored to be able to exhibit his talent on the walls of his shop. Inscho has painted several murals throughout the motor pool and continues to do so whenever he finds the spare time.
“I just love drawing,” he said. “It relaxes me and allows me to go to express my individuality, even while in the Marine Corps.” Photo by: Pfc. Matthew K. Hacker

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/E105F4A41BEA271B85256E830064B41E?opendocument

Ellie