PDA

View Full Version : Comrades share Vietnam roles

thedrifter
04-25-04, 10:13 AM
Comrades share Vietnam roles
April 24,2004
ERIC STEINKOPFF
DAILY NEWS STAFF

For the past 20 years, retired Maj. Jim Capers has opened his home to some old comrades - members of 3rd Force Reconnaissance Company who survived the Vietnam War that ended 29 years ago.

Again on Friday evening, these veterans passed through an awning that read "Welcome Home Heroes All."

The smell of barbecued chicken and ribs filled the air, sometimes broken by the sharp acrid aroma of an occasional cigar.

The humble Capers stood by quietly, welcoming old friends and refusing to speak about his role in the reunion so that others could talk about what the annual event means to them.

"These people mean so much to me that I traveled 10,500 miles to get here," said Jim Renn, who was a sergeant, a diver and logistics chief with the unit 35 years ago. He traveled from the Philippines to attend his first get-together.

A handful of the group gets together to organize the reunion every year.

Each brings his bit of history to the gathering, some as teachers, some as pupils and others who saved their comrades' lives.

"Our purpose is to share camaraderie and get back together. Some of these guys have not seen each other for 35 years and this brings them closure," said retired Col. Wayne Morris, a second lieutenant platoon commander in Vietnam from 1969 to 1970. Today, he is Onslow County's human resources director.

Many Vietnam veterans are hesitant to talk about their experiences around people who weren't there and would likely not understand.

But in this group, they exchange knowing glances, hugs and sometimes even private tears.

"I can relate to everybody, but I remember there were a lot of people who died and couldn't be here," Renn said. "Everybody here will tell you it's the best company in the Marine Corps."

Mike Rivezzo of Tobyhanna, Pa., was a corporal with 3rd Force Reconnaissance Company from 1964 to 1968 along the demilitarized zone between what was then North and South Vietnam. This was his first time at the reunion.

Friday, he shared old stories that he had nearly forgotten because there weren't close friends around to help him remember.

"It's very therapeutic, and I'm really proud to be here with these special Marines - it's such a small community," Rivezzo said. "There's not a place in the world I'd rather be right now."

Rivezzo met an old friend, a corpsman whose life he saved and he didn't quite know how to act when facing his own heroic acts from three decades ago and half a world away.

"He grabbed me and hugged me and thanked me for saving his life," Rivezzo said. "I melted like butter in a frying pan."

Like nearly every corpsman in a Marine unit, they called Petty Officer 1st Class Bill Bentley from Pensacola, Fla., "Doc" during his time in Vietnam from 1966 to 1967.

"After the war, people pulled away from each other," Bentley said. "Later, some of the guys got on the Internet and starting sending e-mail supporting each other. The Internet has been a lifesaver for combat veterans and all of these guys are my friends."

Bentley had some advice for today's troops going into harm's way.

"I tell young people going into Afghanistan that these will be your best friends," Bentley said. "Who shares this kind of thing, but the grunts and the corpsmen?"

Contact Eric Steinkopff at esteinkopff@jdnews.com or at 353-1171, Ext. 236.

http://www.jacksonvilledailynews.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=22042&Section=News

Ellie