PDA

View Full Version : Learning the drill: Youth military interest remains strong amid Iraq crises

thedrifter
04-25-04, 09:31 AM
Learning the drill: Youth military interest remains strong amid Iraq crises

By Julie Stefanko
For the Daily Courier
Saturday, April 24, 2004

"Are you ready to get down and dirty today?" former Staff Sgt. Tony DeGregorio, of Greensburg, asks his Marines.
"Sir, yes sir," they shout back.

"I can't hear you!"

"Sir, yes sir!" they yell again.

The routine sounds familiar, but these are not typical Marines. Members of the Greater Greensburg Young Marines, part of the U.S. Marine Corps' youth program, all are younger than 18 -- and most are interested in exploring what military service is all about.

Although American soldiers continue to fight, and sometimes die, in conflicts overseas, membership in youth military organizations remains strong.

At one point, many members of the Greater Greensburg Young Marines were traveling more than an hour to attend meetings at Hempfield Area Senior High School. The Young Marines now has organized a unit that meets at Gateway High School, in Monroeville, to accommodate teens from that area.

The Young Marines is just one of many no-commitment youth programs that offer a military-style experience.

Albert Gallatin Senior High School, in Springhill Township, Fayette County, offers a Reserve Officers Training Corps program similar to the ROTC unit that folded at Yough High School just last year. Civil Air Patrol Cadets and Sea Cadets offer a taste of Air Force and Navy training.

Youth group members are not obligated to join the military, but many teens say they plan to enlist when they're old enough. Young Marines member Chris Palm, 14, of Blairsville, said he's eager to join the armed services.

"I think Marines are very honorable," Palm says. "I need a challenge."

Greensburg's Young Marines get a taste of the military life three times a month at Hempfield Area Senior High School, where they practice close-order drill and receive physical fitness training. In addition to classroom work, they go camping and rappelling and attend demonstrations on military bases.

"I like that it gives us responsibility, so that we help others and help ourselves," Palm says.

DeGregorio says he and the other adult volunteers try to instill honor, courage, commitment, respect and leadership. All Young Marines are required to memorize, recite and live by the group's obligation and creed, which stress self-discipline and the need to serve as a role model.

"Eventually the kids are supposed to run the program," DeGregorio says.

Matthew Hollenbeck, 17, of Greensburg, already is doing that. He often leads the group in physical training and other activities.

Hollenbeck, a junior at Greensburg Salem Senior High School, says he plans to join the Marine Corps after he graduates -- and he believes the youth program will help him reach that goal.

"I've gained respect and become more fit," he says.

In addition to their regular meetings, members of the Civil Air Patrol Cadets help with search and rescue operations at the scene of plane, helicopter or glider crashes.

The group, affiliated with the U.S. Air Force, teaches skills that include survival techniques and how to fly a plane. All cadets are allotted five free orientation flights, during which they take over the controls of an airplane under the guidance of a licensed pilot.

With dreams of becoming a pilot, Eric Munden, 15, of Greensburg, joined Latrobe Composite Squadron 1405 of the Civil Air Patrol Cadets when he was just 12. He's completed his five flights, but his interest in the group remains strong. Last summer, Munden attended an honor guard academy at Camp Pendleton, in California, and he spends his free time practicing his moves.

"It has kind of taken over my life," he says. "When I'm bored, I go out and spin my rifle."

Still, Munden said he misses his time in the air. "It's unbelievable, the feeling you get when you're up there. You feel like you're free."

Munden isn't the only teen with a long-standing interest in military training. Ed Hregdovic, public relations officer for the Pittsburgh Battalion Sea Cadets, says some members of his group have been in the program for nearly six years, and others travel to meetings from as far away as West Virginia.

"Once these kids see the fun we have, it's hard to get them to leave," he says.

Through the U.S. Navy's Sea Cadets program, teens have listened to Medal of Honor recipients, retired Green Berets and Navy nurses. They've tried scuba diving and visited the Carnegie Science Center, on Pittsburgh's North Side.

Some members even worked with Navy SEALs at an air show featuring members of the 911th Airlift Wing, based in Moon Township, Allegheny County.

One of those helpers was Ed Hregdovic's son Kris, 16, of North Huntingdon Township. He joined Sea Cadets more than two years ago and aspires to become a Navy SEAL.

"I just don't want to be the average person," he says. "I want to make an impression and be a role model."

The elder Hregdovic stresses that cadets make no commitment to join the Navy, but his son is eager to start a military career.

"There are people (in Iraq) that have the courage to (protect our country)," Kris Hregdovic says. "I really look forward to going over and serving."

He is hoping to be accepted for SEAL School, a summer program that could earn him a post-graduation spot in basic training for the elite Navy unit.

"I push myself to do better," he says. "I don't give up on anything."

Stefanko can be reached at 724-850-1217 or jstefanko @tribweb.com.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/search/s_190951.html

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie