PDA

View Full Version : Dozens of Iraqis Killed by Rockets, Bomb

usmc4669
04-24-04, 03:04 PM
Apr 24, 3:24 PM (ET)
By JIM KRANE

Seems as if Iraqis are killing more Iraqis then we are,or are they Iraqis?

BAGHDAD (AP) - Mortar fire slammed into a marketplace in Baghdad's biggest Shiite Muslim neighborhood, and a roadside bomb hit a bus Saturday, a day that saw at least 33 Iraqis killed in multiple attacks. Outside Baghdad, insurgents rocketed a U.S. military base, killing four soldiers.
In Sadr City, the capital's sprawling Shiite slum, angry residents vented anger at Iraq's U.S. occupiers after the mortar barrages, which followed an early morning clash in the neighborhood between U.S. troops and militiamen loyal to a radical Shiite cleric.
The worst single incident of the day came when a bomb exploded on a main road as a bus passed near Haswa, 30 miles south of Baghdad. The back of the bus was shredded and seats crumpled. At least 13 people - including a four-year-old boy - were killed and 17 wounded, said Wasan Nasser, a doctor at Iskan Hospital in neighboring Iskandariyah.
The violence came as U.S. commanders repeated warnings that they may launch a new assault on the besieged city of Fallujah soon, saying guerrillas had not abided by a call to surrender their heavy weapons.
L. Paul Bremer, the top U.S. administrator in Iraq, traveled to the U.S. Marines base outside Fallujah for consultations Saturday, while Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt told reporters: "Should there not be a good faith effort demonstrated by the belligerents inside Fallujah, the coalition is prepared to act."
The launching of the siege on April 5, along with the revolt in the south by Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr's militia, fueled a flare-up of insurgent violence across the country.
The four U.S. solders were killed around dawn, when two rockets were fired from a truck and slammed into the base in Taji, 12 miles north of Baghdad, Air Force Lt. Col. Sam Hudspath said. U.S. helicopter gunships then destroyed the truck, the military said.
Six soldiers were wounded in the attack, three of them critically, the military said. The military had initially reported that a fifth soldier died of his wounds afterwards, but later said that report was incorrect.
The deaths, along with that of a Marine announced Saturday, brought to 106 the number of U.S. troops killed in Iraq since the beginning of April. The military announced the death of a soldier in a non-combat incident, bringing to 715 the number servicemembers who have died in the country.
Anywhere from 900 to 1,200 Iraqis have been killed in April - depending on various reports of the death toll from Fallujah.
Some of the mortar shells in Saturday's barrage against Sadr City, which killed at least seven people, hit two miles from any U.S. position - suggesting they may have deliberately targeted civilians in the Shiite neighborhood.

[b]Iraqis gather next to a burnt out bus in Haswa, 50 kilometers (30 miles) south of Baghdad, Iraq, Saturday, April 24, 2004. A roadside bomb exploded near the bus south of Baghdad Saturday, killing 13 Iraqis, including at least one child, and wounding 17 people, a hospital official said. (AP Photo/Khalid Mohammed)

vfm
04-24-04, 04:25 PM
Once things get stabilized in Iraq and we turn the government over to the Iraqi's, I have a strange feeling that Iraq is going to be similar to Israel where you have so many different factions that they will never get along and they'll continue to kill each other.
Semper Fi !!!
vfm

usmc4669
04-25-04, 06:16 PM
ABU GHURAYB, Iraq -- Insurgents fired 18 mortar rounds into the Abu Ghurayb prison April 20, killing 14 detainees and wounding nearly 100.
While counter battery was being fired at the attacking enemy, coalition forces treated prisoners in a triage facility at the prison.
"I was inside my room when the explosion blew out the wall of my cell," said Anmar, a wounded prisoner who wouldn't give his last name because of concerns for his safety.
The rounds hit the holding areas for the Iraqi prisoners. The attack did not injure any coalition forces.
Insurgents have targeted the prison before, which houses approximately 5,000 detainees, killing and wounding several inmates on more than one occasion.
U.S. Army Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, Combined Joint Task Force 7 deputy commander of operations, explained the attackers might have been gunning for their countrymen to start a revolt, or to prevent them from speaking to interrogators.
"Our guys scratch their heads and say, why would they be shelling their own people, killing their own people?" Kimmitt said hours after the attack.
The Iraqi prisoners didn't know whether to feel happy their brethren were aiming at coalition forces, tired of being included in the attacks.
"I have no problem with the people who did this, they were aiming at the Americans," said Anmar, a prisoner who said he was earning his teaching degree prior to being detained. "It's fine that it happened this once, but I don't want it anymore. I would ask them to stop because they are hitting us."
One wounded prisoner, who was tied down and gagged for attempting to bite the doctors and nurses that were helping him, felt differently about the attacks.
"I don't want anymore violence," said Hameed, a 30 year-old prisoner. "I want peace. I've always wanted peace."
Hameed, a former insurgent who says he used to be a mechanic, thinks violence will swallow the streets of Iraq if coalition forces leave.
"I do not feel safe inside or outside these walls," said Anmar.