PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon Angered By Photos Of War Dead

usmc4669
04-23-04, 07:48 AM
Associated Press
April 23, 2004

DOVER, Del. - A Web site published dozens of photographs of American war dead arriving at the nation's largest military mortuary, prompting the Pentagon to order an information clampdown Thursday.
The photographs were released last week to First Amendment activist Russ Kick, who had filed a Freedom of Information Act request to receive the images. Air Force officials initially denied the request but decided to release the photos after Kick appealed their decision.
After Kick posted more than 350 photographs on his Web site, the Defense Department barred the furtherrelease of the photographs to media outlets.
"They're not happy with the release of the photos," Dover Air Force base spokesman Col. Jon Anderson said.
The photos were taken at the Dover base - home to the mortuary - and most of the images are of flag-draped coffins.
Defense Department rules prohibit media coverage of human remains arriving at Dover, and Pentagon spokesman Lt. Col. Gary Keck said release of the mortuary photos appears to be in conflict with department policy.
Defense officials said the purpose of the policy is to protect the privacy of the soldiers' families - not to circumvent or violate the Freedom of Information Act or any other law.
"Quite frankly, we don't want the remains of our servicemembers who have made the ultimate sacrifice to be the subject of any kind of attention that is unwarranted or undignified," said John Molino, a deputy undersecretary of defense.
At a rally in Dover last month, war protesters criticized President Bush for continuing the practice of previous administrations of not allowing the public or media to witness the arrival of remains at the base.
"We need to stop hiding the deaths of our young; we need to be open about their deaths;," said Jane Bright of West Hills, Calif., whose 24-year-old son, Evan Ashcraft, was killed in combat in July.
Telephone and e-mail messages to Kick were not immediately returned Thursday.
In a related incident, a cargo worker was fired Wednesday by a military contractor after her photograph of flag-draped coffins bearing the remains of U.S. soldiers was published on the front page of Sunday editions of The Seattle Times.
Tami Silicio, 50, was fired by Maytag Aircraft Corp. after military officials raised concerns about the photograph taken in Kuwait, said William L. Silva, Maytag president.
Silicio took the photograph in a cargo plane about to depart from Kuwait International Airport earlier this month. She sent the photo to a stateside friend who provided it to the newspaper, which then obtained permission from Silicio to publish it.

Sent this slim-ball a email if you would like to..

russ@mindpollen.com

stalkmaster
04-23-04, 01:08 PM
I am not one to disagree with the Pentagon much but is it me that
I think this is wrong! These heros deserve just as much a welcome home as the ones who walk into an auditorium. We should honor our fallen brothers and sisters.

usmc4669
04-23-04, 01:19 PM
I am not one to disagree with the Pentagon much but is it me that
I think this is wrong! These heros deserve just as much a welcome home as the ones who walk into an auditorium. We should honor our fallen brothers and sisters.

But not to be used for political reasons, like this was being used.

MillRatUSMC
04-23-04, 01:21 PM
They that have paid the price in full for our freedoms deserve more.
They should be honored on returning home.
The Pentagon and the DOD must be worried that these images might turn more against the war on terrorism.
Many see the need, to fight terrorists, but these image convey a powerful message.
One that the Pentagon and DOD don't want to deal at the moment.
One could question the reasoning on the release and posting on a web page of these images.
Was it political or protesting our being in Iraq.
As much as I hate bringing up Vietnam, these images bring back thoughts and images from my war...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

stalkmaster
04-23-04, 01:32 PM
I guess I didn't state what I meant very well I agree with you both on the Political message and I can't stand people like Rep
Jim McDermott (D) from Wash State, who has already been on
CNN doing just that!! Just bothers me that we lose fine people
for this nation and all they get is a Press release.

usmc4669
04-23-04, 01:40 PM
MillRatUSMC,stalkmaster, anytime that it is posted on a web site it's for political reason, we don't need this, sure the Pentagon and DOD don't want them posted, think about the families of those who are in those boxes cover with an American Flag, how would they feel knowing that someone posted the pictures for political reason.

ivalis
04-23-04, 04:52 PM
the pentagon's refusal to show the caskets is political as well.

i say show em. i don't need the reminder but there is lots o dumb folks in this country who need the reminder of the effects of war.

yellowwing
04-23-04, 05:05 PM
I'm still wondering why those protesters don't use their heads. If they want a political 'visual impact' they don't need official DOD photographs. All they'd have to do is place replicas in front of the White House or on the Mall. Problem solved.

usmc4669
04-23-04, 05:09 PM
ivalis

The pentagon's refusal to show the caskets is political as well.
i say show em. i don't need the reminder but there is lots o dumb folks in this country who need the reminder of the effects of war.

i can not believe it, more than a one liner, you are improving ivalis.

Then why don't we just dump the bodies out on the ground an take a photo and past in all over the net, would that make you liberals happy?

wayne553
04-23-04, 07:28 PM
I say no photos,Let the family bury their love ones.BUT remind all of us in numbers and name

USMC4669 should'nt have used the photo either

WC
http://www.geocities.com/wayne_553/Dyer.html

outlaw3179
04-24-04, 02:23 PM
Its sad that our fellow Marines and soldiers are dying, but each of us knows what we face every time we put our uniforms on . I know that if I were to get killed , there would be no greater honor than to have those beautiful colors draped over my coffin, and I wouldnt care if there were pictures taken, because i died being a Marine.

usmc4669
04-24-04, 02:44 PM
outlaw3179

Its sad that our fellow Marines and soldiers are dying, but each of us knows what we face every time we put our uniforms on . I know that if I were to get killed , there would be no greater honor than to have those beautiful colors draped over my coffin, and I wouldnt care if there were pictures taken, because i died being a Marine.

No one knows who were in the coffins, this was for political reasons only, to protest the war, it was to send a message to the American people that this was George W. Bush war. It was not to honor the ones who had died. This was a injustices to them.

vfm
04-24-04, 04:18 PM
I agree with you Gunny. THe photos should not be used for political purposes. We all know death and wounded are an unfortunate price we have to pay for war. These politicians that are using this for political gain are probably the same ones that backed Bush when Congress and the Senate voted to go to war.
Semper Fi!!!
vfm

namgrunt
04-24-04, 04:33 PM
The media has stirred a muddled feeding frenzy again. Specific websites have sprung into being, containing photos of flag-draped caskets. They were done to intentionally disregard the DoD's restrictions. It figures.

In their haste to display as many coffins covered with the American flag, some dissident knuckleheads have posted pictures of the SPACE SHUTTLE COLUMBIA'S DEAD CREW REMAINS, in flag draped coffins. This shows the utter disregard for facts, in favor of "impressions". Congratulations to the folks who demand their eye-candy.

It is for political purposes that this contention exists. The woman who snapped the photos without permission deserved to lose her job. If she had worked in the CIA, she would probably taken pictures of classified documents, and sent them to be published as well. She is a dunce.

usmc4669
04-24-04, 04:51 PM
I agree with you Gunny. THe photos should not be used for political purposes. We all know death and wounded are an unfortunate price we have to pay for war. These politicians that are using this for political gain are probably the same ones that backed Bush when Congress and the Senate voted to go to war.
Semper Fi!!!
vfm

First Amendment activist Russ Kick, who had filed a Freedom of Information Act request to receive the images.

I don't think that this person is a George W. Bush supporter do you?

Rifleman3/6
04-24-04, 05:13 PM
Citizens of the repuplic should be shown the ultimate sacrifice that individuals have given upon the alter of freedom-- so they can reflect on what it means to live free.

usmc4669
04-24-04, 06:37 PM
Rifleman3/6

Citizens of the repuplic should be shown the ultimate sacrifice that individuals have given upon the alter of freedom-- so they can reflect on what it means to live free.

outlaw3179

You don't get it do you. This was started by a First Amendment activist Russ Kick, who had filed a Freedom of Information Act request to receive the images. This was for propaganda reasons to be used against the president, wake up Sergeant and see the light.

ivalis

the pentagon's refusal to show the caskets is political as well.

See ivalis knows what they were shown for, he is a Liberal and this is what the Liberals are doing to hurt the President.

thedrifter
04-24-04, 06:43 PM
WE DON'T TOLERATE PERSONAL ATTACKS ON MEMBERS...........TAKE IT TO PM'S AND/OR E-MAILS......IF IT CONTINUES APPROPRIATE ACTION WILL BE TAKEN.....

Ellie

reddog4950
04-24-04, 07:12 PM
Well said Drifter. My thought on this is sorry to say War has death alone with it , it is the way of life. Respect our fallen brothers, yet don't let others reap benefits from their deaths.
Just a humble Marines thought!
Vic

usmc4669
04-24-04, 07:17 PM
WE DON'T TOLERATE PERSONAL ATTACKS ON MEMBERS

See ivalis knows what they were shown for, he is a Liberal and this is what the Liberals are doing to hurt the President.

Did I say something that isn't true?

You don't get it do you. This was started by a First Amendment activist Russ Kick, who had filed a Freedom of Information Act request to receive the images. This was for propaganda reasons to be used against the president, wake up Sergeant and see the light.

If you are talking about me Ellie, I do not see what's wrong with this statement. No name calling like some people. I stop doing that. Please don't send me a PM, if I am upseting you and you think that I am a trouble maker, not allowed to say what's on my mind then you do what you have to do. I feel that I cannot post anything without be called down on it. This isn't the first time, check out all of the other post and you will see that a lot of disagreement is going on.

thedrifter
04-24-04, 07:26 PM
Respect....Everyones Opinion....Even if it is against your opinion.....

Name calling or putting down a person....IS NOT TOLERATE....

Ellie

usmc4669
04-24-04, 07:56 PM
No more comments on this subject, I'm out of here.

d c taveapont
04-24-04, 09:47 PM
1 last statement : This thing about the coffins are upsetting so just drop it until every one cools down...

MillRatUSMC
04-24-04, 10:58 PM
I just can let this lie...some say these photo were place on a web page for political reasons.
While others say that images of WTC under attack were used for the same reason.
At the same time the coalition partners are under attack in Iraq and at home.
All this in-fighting is only helping those we're fighting.
Have we gotten softer?
Than our grandparents?
In the Battle of Iwo Jima we lost in the more than we lost so far.
But I would be remissed if I did not state; to some familes a loss of one is beyond reasoning.
Think what this in=fight is doing to some who have internet access in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Well so much for that...these opinions are mine alone and I take responsibilty for those statements...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo