PDA

View Full Version : Supposedly a true story....

SheWolf
04-22-04, 07:50 PM
As some of you may know, one of my sons serves in the military. He is still stateside, here in California. He called me yesterday to let me know how warm and welcoming people were to him and his troops, everywhere he goes, telling me how people shake their hands and thank them for being willing to serve and fight, for not only our own freedoms but so that others may have them also.

But he also told me about an incident in the grocery store he stopped at yesterday, on his way home from the base. He said that ahead of several people in front of him stood a woman dressed in a burkha. He said when she got to the cashier she loudly remarked about the US flag lapel pin the cashier wore on her smock.

The cashier reached up & touched the pin, and said proudly, "Yes, I always wear it."

The woman in the burkha then asked the cashier when she was going to stop bombing her country men, explaining that she was Iraqi.

A gentleman standing behind my son stepped forward, putting his arm around my son's shoulders, and nodding towards my son, said in a calm and gentle voice to the Iraqi woman:

"Lady, hundreds of thousands of men and women like this young man have fought and died so that you could stand here, in MY country and accuse a check-out cashier of bombing your Countrymen. It is my belief that had you been this outspoken in YOUR OWN country we wouldn't need to be there today. But, hey, if you have now learned how to speak out so loudly and clearly, I'll gladly pay your way back to Iraq so you can straighten out the mess you are obviously here to avoid."

(Amen!!)

SheWolf
04-22-04, 07:54 PM
this was sent to me,, not my son,, he's still in Iraq

HardJedi
04-22-04, 08:04 PM
very cool

Toby M
04-22-04, 08:12 PM
Right on...

yellowwing
04-23-04, 12:17 AM
Another Urban Legend, but this one has not been confirmed or debunked (http://www.snopes.com/rumors/lapelpin.asp).

cjwright90
04-23-04, 09:56 AM
Urban legend or not, it has the makings of a heart warming. I am a vet, Marines, of course. When I see an old timer at the mall, sitting there looking around and people passing by or playing with his grandkids, sporting a ball cap with a unit crest on it, I go out of my way to thank them for serving and shake thier hand. I never hesitate to ask him when he was in or anything like that. Started a lot of great conversations that way.

arnoldyG/2/5
04-23-04, 10:14 AM
Hope it is true

cjwright90

Nice to know that others go out of their way to thank our elders for their service regardless of when they were in.........we owe too much to these men/women to ignore their sacrifices for our country.

cjwright90
04-23-04, 10:24 AM
I did not always think that way. Since 9/11 and the War on Terror started, I started thinking more and more about it. I remember the stories of the Vietnam Vets coming home to nothing but criticism. I know those troops are glad to be home, and are proud that they saerved. I am a vet, but my freedom was paid for by them, not me. I had my freedom before I went in. I only added to it. You added to it Arnoldy, and Namgrunt and 4664, yellowwing, Jedi, all of you. To each of you, Semper Fi, and THANK YOU!

namgrunt
04-23-04, 10:37 AM
Hope your news from Iraq is all good, SheWolf.

If this is an urban legend, then it is a positive one. I can recall being the point of conversation by four long-hair anti-war college types, male and female, aboard an airliner going home on leave after my first tour.
I was in uniform, and that drew their attention. They discussed loudly their beliefs and said anyone who fought in Vietnam deserved to be killed by the Viet Cong and NLF. I'd been in Vietnam less than two weeks before.
Talk about an urge to kill! I had to let it go, because I would have been arrested when we landed if I'd attacked the two males. This was no Urban Legend.