PDA

View Full Version : Devildocs take training to the limit

thedrifter
04-22-04, 03:41 PM
Devildocs take training to the limit
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification Number: 2004420233255
Story by Cpl. Ryan D. Libbert

CAMP HANSEN, Okinawa, Japan (April 16, 2004) -- When a Marine’s dreams of returning home to loved ones are shattered by an enemy assault in combat, his hopes can sometimes be revived, as well as his life, if Navy medical corpsmen quickly respond with their life-saving skills.

Corpsmen new to the fleet learn their skills at a military training school, but it is practical application in the field where those skills are filed down and used quickly and effectively to save lives.

Eleven junior Sailors who arrived on Okinawa in the past few months to serve with 3rd Medical Battalion, 3rd Force Service Support Group participated in the battalion’s quarterly field training exercise.

“The purpose for this quarterly exercise is to train newly arrived personnel in the battalion tactical life-saving skills,” said Petty Officer 1st Class Eric. D. Doggett, leading petty officer for 3rd Medical Battalion Training Platoon. “Once a corpsman arrives at his or her first duty station they can be expected to perform duties under various conditions depending on what type of command they serve. We are teaching these Sailors what they are expected to do for 3rd Med Bn.”

The three-week course challenges the youthful docs in a variety of field medicine skills. They learned several techniques to include searching for casualties in a jungle environment, treating patients who have suffered numerous types of wounds, Nuclear Biological and Chemical decontamination procedures, minor survival skills, land navigation, and tent erection.

After learning the basics, the corpsmen's successes will be evaluated to determine where in the battalion they will serve. Sections within the battalion to include Shock Trauma Platoon, Surgical Company and Forward Resuscitative Surgical Suite are some of the units the junior corpsmen have their eyes on.

“Due to the high rotation of corpsmen from the battalion we have to keep training the new personnel as they arrive,” Doggett added. “It is important to keep these Corpsmen ready at all times to increase the battalion's deployment readiness.”

After being on Okinawa and serving in 3rd Med Bn.’s ranks for a month and a half, Hospitalman Apprentice Mark W. Scott is craving for more excitement as the exercise continues.

“I really like the medical field, especially doing things outside like this,” Scott explained. “I didn’t know the Navy was going to be like this when I joined. I’m definitely going to earn my Fleet Marine Force Warfare pin now.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004420233517/$file/Release0186-2004-01low.jpg

CAMP HANSEN, Okinawa, Japan - Seaman Dana A. Woodard places make-up on Lance Cpl. Joshua D. Hinkle to simulate a face burn during 3rd Medical Battalion's quarterly field exercise. The exercise is designed to teach junior corpsmen new to the battalion what will be expected of them while serving with the III Marine Expeditionary Force. Photo by: Cpl. Ryan D. Libbert

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/F8EDAFFDC7D6F70E85256E7D00137E87?opendocument

Ellie

HardJedi
04-22-04, 03:43 PM
as I have said before, the only squids worth knowing are the Doc's, and thank god for them!