PDA

View Full Version : Recruiter and poolee reunite in Afghanistan

thedrifter
04-22-04, 09:01 AM
Recruiter and poolee reunite in Afghanistan
Submitted by: 22nd MEU
Story Identification Number: 20044212104
Story by Sgt. Matt C. Preston

KANDAHAR AIR FIELD, Afghanistan (April 21, 2002) -- There's an old adage that everyone in the Marine Corps is separated by only two people; the so-called 'degrees of separation.' A recent encounter on the high seas proved that sometimes that separation is a bit narrower.

In 1993, when college student Andrew Riley walked into Staff Sgt. Ruben Jimenez's recruiting office in Malden, Mass., ten minutes outside Boston, the Twin Towers still stood, Desert Storm was yesterday's news and neither knew that one day the career Marine would one day call Riley "sir."

Today, Master Sgt. Jimenez and 1st Lt. Riley both serve in the 22d Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable) in their respective roles as Command Element Supply and Logistics Chief and Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 266 (Reinforced) CH-53 pilot, crossing paths for the first time in 11 years.

However, it wasn't exactly a storybook encounter with tales of old times.

"I didn't remember him," said Jimenez. "We were down in the forecastle [aboard USS WASP]. He came up to me and said 'You were my recruiter.' Then it all clicked."

Jimenez may be forgiven his lapse of memory, having sent more than 100 prospective Marines to recruit training. When Riley came in, Jimenez was near the end of his time on recruiting duty as well.

"He told me he wanted to be a pilot," reminisced Jimenez, of Del Rio, Texas, "and I told him he could do it through the Reserves so I put him in as an 0351.

"I wasn't a hard sell," said Riley.

At the time, Riley was a college student who felt that he wasn't getting the most of his time in school.

"College wasn't really working out at the time," said Riley. "I went to boot camp hoping it would give me some focus."

For Riley, recruit training was the answer.

"I came back and actually started doing really well in school," he said.

After recruit training, Riley drilled in Manchester, N.H. while finishing college and when he was a corporal found he was indeed qualified for Marine Corps Aviation. Riley earned his commission in December 1999, went on to flight school, and now flies the CH-53 Super Stallion for HMM-266 (Rein).

His old recruiter couldn't be more pleased with the achievements of the Marine he put in the Corps.

"I'm really happy that one of the guys I put in has gone so far in the Marine Corps," said Jimenez.

Now, Jimenez recognizes his old poolee with a salute.

"We talk all the time," said Jimenez. "He's shown me pictures of his wife and three kids."

After the experiences in Afghanistan, they will have plenty to talk about. Though the Marine Corps is called to fight anywhere in the world, for at least two the Marines of the 22d MEU (SOC), that world just got a little bit smaller.

In addition to its Command Element and HMM-266 (Rein), the 22d MEU (SOC) consists of Battalion Landing Team 1st Bn., 6th Marines and MEU Service Support Group 22. The unit will be in Afghanistan for an undetermined length of time conducting combat and civil military operations under the operational control of Combined Joint Task Force 180.

For more information on the 22d MEU (SOC)'s role in Operation ENDURING FREEDOM, visit the unit's web site at www.22meu.usmc.mil.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20044212122/$file/Riley_Jimenez_Low.jpg

First Lieutenant Andrew Riley, left, a CH-53E Super Stallion pilot with Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 266 (Reinforced) poses with Master Sgt. Ruben Jimenez, Command Element Supply and Logistics Chief. As a recruiter, Jimenez put Riley into the Marine Corps 11 years ago, and the pair reunited while serving with the 22d Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable). Photo by: Sgt. Matt C. Preston

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/EDB8D5C25FCF5EAC85256E7D0021E16F?opendocument

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie