PDA

View Full Version : Selective Service Draft. Who should have to serve?

usmc4669
04-22-04, 08:56 AM
One of our New York Politicians Congressman Charles B. Rangel on Hannity and Colmes last night was saying that we needed to go back to a Draft, then he said that low income and minorities should not be drafted, only the middleclass and rich kids should be drafted. Do you agree with him?

http://recap.fednet.net/search/capture_images/80_hflr031704/80_hflr03170409900016125.jpg

fulmetaljackass
04-22-04, 09:02 AM
That jackass said that? That just sounds like a backlash from Korea and 'Nam, and not an actual thought out plan meant to be put in place for the betterment of the American people, something just about every d!mn politician has lost sight of these days. I'm just a former Marine and college student, so I probably don't know my head from a hole in the ground when it comes to actually running this country, but I'm of the opinion that swinging from one extreme to the other solves nothing. You have to find a happy medium. Easier said than done, of course, but if they're not willing to put in the effort, why the bloody sam h#ll'd they run for office in the first place?

arnoldyG/2/5
04-22-04, 09:08 AM
You have to be kidding me. Do we want to return to a military full of shi*bags and malcontents? Today's service members are all volunteer and the majority are motivated and dedicated to serving our country. No offense to any Vietnam vets but I don't want to have to place my life in the hands of somebody who did not choose to serve.

As for minorities, the military is a great option to create opportunities in life. The military (for the most part) does not recognize social status rather it rewards proficiency and potential regardless of how much money mommy and daddy have. It has been stated that minorities comprise a disproportionate number of those serving.....I don't have any specific numbers but I can state for a fact that ethnic minorities were truly a minority in 5th Marines during my time of service.

ese4mc
04-22-04, 10:07 AM
THEY RUINED A GOOD ONE WHEN THEY PUT TEETH IN HIS

mrbsox
04-22-04, 12:17 PM
Here's the deal !!

A) You volunteer for 4, with all the bennies and perks the military has to offer

OR

B) You get drafted for 2 without squat but 3 hots and a cot.

Now... I didn't say Drafted into the Military;

CIVIL SERVICE will do fine.

EVERY Fkn BODY out of High School. You want to go to College, join for 4 and get the bennies.

2 years civil service, it may be picking up trash on the side of the road, stuffing spoons into an MRE box, hauling welding rods at Ingales ship yard, baby sitting for the Military families that ARE doing thier duty, emptying trash cans at the V.A. office, cleaning bed pans in the V.A. hospital, watering the grass, mowing the yard....

It doesn't HAVE to be Military service to help the Country.

But, that's just an 'ole Jar head rambling off.

Terry

USMC-FO
04-22-04, 12:29 PM
Good points "Mrbsox" I agree 110%

Basiclly kiddies...get up off your dead asses and do something to pay back just a bit of the bennies you've all collected since you had the good fortune to be born here in the USA.

mux1
04-22-04, 01:02 PM
If they do re-instate this Draft i think nobody should be immune to it. But we all know that's not the case here.

OUT!

HardJedi
04-22-04, 02:54 PM
I have ALWAY'S thought mandatory service to the country should be instituted, regardless of class or social status. I HONESTLY believe you should not have the right to vote, if you have not paid for the privilege through service. I also believe you should not be allowed to be the fricken commander in cheif of armed foces if you have never served a day in them.
Heck, how does that make sense? No one ever just turned over a combat regimant to a Poly Sci major, and said" go get em" have they?

usmc4669
04-22-04, 04:02 PM
I have ALWAY'S thought mandatory service to the country should be instituted, regardless of class or social status. I HONESTLY believe you should not have the right to vote, if you have not paid for the privilege through service. I also believe you should not be allowed to be the fricken commander in cheif of armed foces if you have never served a day in them.
Heck, how does that make sense? No one ever just turned over a combat regimant to a Poly Sci major, and said" go get em" have they?

What did he say? I HONESTLY believe you should not have the right to vote, if you have not paid for the privilege through service. What service are you talking about?

I also believe you should not be allowed to be the fricken commander in cheif of armed foces if you have never served a day in them. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Did he get hit in the head? What is he talking about? Oh wait a minute, he's from KC, MO the show me State, for a minute he had me wondering what he was talking about. Now I know, he got hit on the head by Dick Gephardt.:banana:

snipowsky
04-22-04, 04:14 PM
Tell em Gunny! lol I'm not mentioning any names or any ranks, but some people misconstrue comments posted on this site. We are all Marines right? So lets all treat each other fairly and brotherly. And most of all be respectful. If you want to come to this site to stir stuff up, go to another site. I will say what I want to say in a tactful and respectful way, without cursing at others or being disrespectful.

Let me remind you all of something. We are no longer under any USMC contract to follow orders and rank structure. So if you want respect you best damn show it. I'm a civilian now, so intimidation and scare tactics won't work with me anymore.

P.S. This was not directed at any certain individual Marine, but to all Marines on this site.

Let's just all play nice and be brothers like we really are ok? If you don't have nothing nice to say, just shut your mouth and don't say it! My theory is this, "Don't Start None Won't Be None".

UNDERSTAND?

cjwright90
04-22-04, 04:40 PM
I think that everyone should be included in a selective service draft. I can't understand why people think because they are poor or from a "minority" that they should not be called on to serve and protect thier country in times of need. They would not have a draft if it was not absolutely neccesary. For crying out load that politician is cracked.

TracGunny
04-22-04, 05:01 PM
No exemptions from service for ANY reason - if physically or mentally unsuited for service in the military, than civil service of one sort or another.

Can't serve in any capacity? Then that individual is a candidate for institutional living - what the heck, that person will probably be a drain on society anyway; might as well have 'em where we can keep an eye on 'em...

vfm
04-22-04, 05:16 PM
I agree 110% wit TracGunny. Military Service for each 18 year old (male or female). The young people of today have no respect for Authority, are not disciplined and can't follow orders.If they can't serve in the military because of a medical reason then civil service. Outstanding idea Gunny!!!
Semper Fi !!!
vfm

HardJedi
04-22-04, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by usmc4669

What did he say? I HONESTLY believe you should not have the right to vote, if you have not paid for the privilege through service. What service are you talking about?

I also believe you should not be allowed to be the fricken commander in cheif of armed foces if you have never served a day in them. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Did he get hit in the head? What is he talking about? Oh wait a minute, he's from KC, MO the show me State, for a minute he had me wondering what he was talking about. Now I know, he got hit on the head by Dick Gephardt.:banana:

Ahhh No disrespect intedned but what room does someone from a broken off peice of mexico have to talk about where someone if from ? :) (kidding) ANYWAY, instead of making fun, why not tell me WHY i am wrong? And what kinda service do you THINK i am talking about? Either federal or civil. Something. Something that will allow them to serve instead of just TAKE.

And WHY shouldn't The Commander in Cheif of the Armed forces be required to have at least SERVED in them? why is that a bad idea?

usmc4669
04-22-04, 06:06 PM
No exemptions from service for ANY reason - if physically or mentally unsuited for service in the military, than civil service of one sort or another.

TracGunny I agree with you most all of the time, but not this time. A Physically disable person can still be useful to society.Take a blind person; If you have low vision or you are blind, the career choices are some what limited. A typical job would be any job where the work is performed via telephone, like sales, market researc, customer support etc as well as many types of computer based jobs. There's a lot of jobs for those who are disabled. Then they could be with Civil Service couldn' they.

Can't serve in any capacity? Then that individual is a candidate for institutional living - what the heck, that person will probably be a drain on society anyway; might as well have 'em where we can keep an eye on 'em...

Yes and that's where a lot of our homeless comes from institutions.

TracGunny
04-22-04, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by TracGunny

Can't serve in any capacity? Then that individual is a candidate for institutional living - what the heck, that person will probably be a drain on society anyway; might as well have 'em where we can keep an eye on 'em... usmc4669: actually, we are in agreement (I think). I do not contend that a physical impairment (i.e. blindness) is detrimental to any sort of service to the Nation, be it military or otherwise; however, using blindness (or any other impediment) to shirk service to country (in one form or another) should not be tolerated. Screw those who try to make a living off society through public indulgence of their own self-pity.

That is one of the drawbacks to a “quick response” post; you do not always put across your complete thought: handicaps, mental or physical, does not necessarily exclude someone from some sort of service to Country, however, it can, and the personal attitude of the "handicapped" individual usually decides if that person is a drain on society or a productive member of society... institutionalize the freeloaders and those who are absolutely inhibited from contributing because of mental or physical limitations…

...I get the feeling I'll be trying to explain this explanation in a later post...

usmc4669
04-22-04, 10:28 PM
Lets take these young jocks playing football, baseball, basketball and trying to land a $1,000,000. contract to go pro, would these fall in you class of freeloaders?

TracGunny
04-22-04, 10:30 PM
NO exemptions; they make a couple of million $$ AFTER service, more power to 'em...

TracGunny
04-22-04, 10:33 PM
College exemption? Nope... just a delay until completion of NROTC/ROTC, or other COMMISSIONING program, than it's off to service. Fail to gain a Commission? No problem, educated Privates are nice, too...

HardJedi
04-22-04, 10:36 PM
heck, half the privates in the Marines know more than officers anyway ! LOL

TracGunny
04-22-04, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by HardJedi
heck, half the privates in the Marines know more than officers anyway ! LOL Privates? ...maybe not... PFCs?... ...yeah, okay-
What is the difference between a 2nd Leiutenant and a PFC?... ...a PFC has been promoted once...

HardJedi
04-22-04, 10:40 PM
Ok Gunny, got me there

Saurian'sEdge
04-23-04, 05:29 AM
Anybody familiar with the book, not the movie, "Starship Troopers"? In order to vote or go into public office you had to join the military. I think that might be a good idea, but thats just me.

usmc4669
04-23-04, 08:07 AM
WASHINGTON - The Bush administration sees no need to reinstate the military draft, but it is pushing for improved Pentagon management of the 1.4 million-strong force in order to meet wartime needs, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Thursday.

cjwright90
04-23-04, 10:12 AM
Most countries in this world have a mandatory military service. 2 years minimum. Why not here?

usmc4669
04-23-04, 10:38 AM
cjwright90

Most countries in this world have a mandatory military service. 2 years minimum. Why not here?

We don't need it. Do you know what we would get in our Arm Forces if we started the Draft up again? Two years and then out, the cost would be too great, better to stay the way that it is. Four or six years tour of service.

TracGunny
04-23-04, 10:52 AM
All branches of the Armed Forces report making recruiting goals for quite a while, now. This includes the Reserves and the Guard. If there is a concern about the number of people in the armed forces, up the numbers allowed. The Recruiters should be able to do the rest...

I was talking to a former Marine who was a two-year inductee (stayed for six-medical retiree from wounds) who described himself and the other two-year Marines as "cannon-fodder" - given just enough training to go to the front.

Three months of boot camp, than three months of MOS training in the less technical fields gives the services 1 1/2 years to get their money's worth out of a two-year draftee - not a very good Return On Investment.

I do not see a draft coming any time soon, nor do I think we need a draft at this time, however, whenever it does come, I stick by the thought that exemptions should be next to impossible to attain.

cjwright90
04-23-04, 11:32 AM
usmc4669
I was not talking a draft for two years. I agree with you that 2 years is not long enough term, investment wise. So make a 4 year minimum for all eligible. Not a draft, a mandatory service, whether to the military or the civil service. Exceptions are going to be there, like people who cannot get themselves dressed or what not. We never know when a terrible thing is going to happen to us, but it would be good to be ready to take action is it does. There are a bunch out there, pro athletes not to be discounted, that could and should serve.
TracGunny,
I agree that it is not a good return on investment for short terms, like two years. Not sure I agree that short timers should be cannon fodder or 03 bullets stops. Put them where they are needed, right.

kentmitchell
04-23-04, 05:34 PM
Maybe Rangel is onto something and doesn't know it.
The military doesn't accept morons.
The last time that was tried, McNamara ordered a social experiment during Nam and drafted about 200,000 dim lightbulbs and criminals. Damn near ruined the military.

kentmitchell
04-23-04, 05:37 PM
One exception: Assign them to mine-stomping battalions.

onlyamarine
04-23-04, 06:27 PM
Thinking that the Gunny is right about alot of things. I mean everyone should have to serve. Yes people with disablities can play other roles. My little brother is in the army and serving in Iraq. He has 3 screws in his hip, and also yet has to have a full ankle replacement, but does not know when that will take place. I have an older brother that is in Fallujah. So when it comes to low income families and minorities, we are equal, so give everyone the same oppertunities. Military is a new start and a way of life.