PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh may lift post-Sept 11 security rule

usmc4669
04-21-04, 04:12 PM
(PITTSBURGH) Pittsburgh International could become the first major airport in the United States to abandon the post-Sept 11 rule that only allows ticketed passengers past security checkpoints. Federal security officials are considering allowing people to accompany friends and relatives to departure gates.
Airport officials and a congressional delegation from Western Pennsylvania have pushed for two years for the change for reasons of money and passenger convenience. Pittsburgh could become a model for other airports. 'This is new, this is exciting, because we're basically rewriting the security directives in order to allow non-ticketed passengers to go through security,' said JoAnn Jenny, spokeswoman for the Allegheny County Airport Authority, which runs the airport.
Pittsburgh is a strong candidate for the experiment for two reasons. It has a centralised security checkpoint in one terminal. It also has a full-scale shopping mall whose business has suffered because it is reachable only by ticketed passengers. If the change is approved, people without tickets will have to go through security just like passengers. They will be checked with metal detectors and may have to empty their pockets and handbags and take off their shoes.
Officials with the federal Transportation Security Administration (TSA) met Pittsburgh officials recently and expect to review a rough draft of the plan later this spring. It could take effect by summer if approved by the Homeland Security Department, Ms Jenny said. Certain issues still need to be worked out, such as how to prevent the people without tickets from holding up passengers during peak travel times. - AP

cjwright90
04-23-04, 10:36 AM
I am from here, gunny. Even applied for Security there. I know what it is like in the "mall" and the airport itself. I think maybe they should not do it, because I do not know anyone that goes to the airport just to shop. Especially becae we have about 6 big malls within 30 minutes of the airport. Why then are the businesses suffering, when most of the clientel are ticketed passengers anyway. The customer traffic would slow if ticketed passengers slow, not because outside non ticket people. I might change my mind to no.

usmc4669
04-23-04, 11:00 AM
Certain issues still need to be worked out, such as how to prevent the people without tickets from holding up passengers during peak travel times. - AP

Now I know a little about this, Now I said a little. One of my sons works for TSA in Albuquerque, NM. Even when he's not on duty has to go through security. I went with him to the airport and he had to take off his shoes same as me, he had to get me a special pass to enter. If they let anyone and everyone in then it will take forever to get the passenger cleared and the ones who do not have friends or family will start bit*hing. Why do some people want to make it easy on Terrorist to enter our Airports, just to make money, anyway the shops in the Airports are way over priced on there merchandise, the only ones who shops in them are the passenger that are leaving? Do it like they do in Italy and Israel, guards with full automatic weapons guarding inside.

cjwright90
04-23-04, 11:14 AM
I thought about that, too.