PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Americans Pessimistic on Terror War

usmc4669
04-21-04, 02:47 PM
Apr 21, 1:56 PM (ET)
By WILL LESTER
WASHINGTON (AP) - Half of Americans have concerns that terrorists might be winning the war on terrorism, and one in five feels strongly that way, according to an Associated Press poll that found many people pessimistic about their security.
Fears about an attack against this country are high. Two-thirds in the poll said it was likely terrorists would strike before the November elections. And a third said it was likely there would be an attack at one of the political conventions this summer.
More than 30 months after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, two-thirds of Americans acknowledge some concern that terrorists may be recruiting faster than the United States can keep up. A third of those polled feel strongly this is the case, and another third say they have at least some worries.
"Terrorists are winning the war for the hearts and minds of the people in the Mideast," said Christine Wyatt, a 52-year-old church deacon in Clarkston, Mich.
Fears about the war on terrorism may be fueled by growing worries about the conflict in Iraq, which has been described by the Bush administration as a front line of the war on terror.
Those who think the military action in Iraq has increased the long-term risk of terrorism in the United States have increased from 40 percent in December to 54 percent now, according to the poll, conducted for the AP by Ipsos-Public Affairs.
The people who say the Bush administration made the right decision to go to war in Iraq, 48 percent, are now about even with those who think the administration made a mistake, 49 percent. In December, two-thirds said the administration made the right decision.
Doubts about the war on terrorism are higher among women, older Americans, people who make lower incomes and people with less than a high school education, according to the poll.
Others say the terror threat is receding after two and a half years without another attack.
"I don't think they're winning the war, but they're sure putting the fear of God in some countries," said Robert Slivinski, a 33-year-old paramedic and firefighter from Woodbury, Conn. "The threat has decreased since 9/11. We're keeping them at bay."
The AP-Ipsos poll, released Wednesday at The Associated Press annual meeting, found:
- Half feel that, in some measure, the terrorists might be winning the war on terrorism. One in five in the poll feels strongly the terrorists are winning, while an additional 30 percent say there is at least "a little truth" to that statement.
- More than a third say they have less faith in government's ability to protect them, and an additional fourth say there's at least some truth to that idea.
- Nearly half feel strongly they are more pessimistic about the possibility of there ever being peace in the world, while an additional fourth say there may be some truth to that.
"I think we're twitching on the edge of Armageddon; a lot of people I work with feel the same way," said Michael Miller, a 49-year-old software tester from Las Cruces, N.M. He rejected the idea that terrorists are winning the fight, but he added, "They're not losing it, either."
As for the election campaign, President Bush has the advantage over Democrat John Kerry on people's trust to do a better job of protecting the country, 53 percent to 37 percent.
Some people say they've taken steps to safeguard themselves and their families in response to the terrorist attacks.
- Three in 10 say they've assembled a kit with emergency supplies like food, water and batteries.
- Two in 10 say they avoid crowded public spaces like shopping malls and amusement parks.
"I know so many people who are afraid to do things, who have changed their lifestyles," said Norma McElhaney,a 58-year-old school employee from Mineral Ridge, Ohio. "The last two years, our eighth grade class didn't go to Washington, D.C., something they had done for years."
Despite the widespread anxiety, many reject the notion of terrorists winning as unthinkable.
"I believe their cause is evil," said Cheryl Taylor, a 56-year-old teacher from Waterloo, Iowa. "I don't believe evil will win, I know it won't. I cling to the other hope."
The AP-Ipsos poll of 1,001 adults was taken April 5-7 and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points. The Iraq questions were asked again April 16-18.

mrbsox
04-21-04, 07:26 PM
I think there is too much info in there for a poll !!

Must agree with some, maybe on other.

Guess that makes it a NOT SURE

Terry

HardJedi
04-21-04, 07:44 PM
Americans SHOULD be pessimistic about the war on terror. It is NOT a war that can EVER be won. It's that simple. You cannot stop terrorists. Hell, Timothy McVeigh WAS a terrorist, and he was born and raised here, and he even surved in the US armed forces. As long as there are policies in place that someone doesn't like, and as long as there are people crazy enough, there will alway's be terrorists. that is just the nature of man-kind. Heck. I consider alot of PATE membors no better than terrorists, same with some of the more militant Pro-Lifers.

I guess it's just my opinion, but while an individula terrorist may be caught and punished, or even a whole orginization, there will alwys be others glad to step in and fill the void.

Osotogary
04-21-04, 08:07 PM
This war on terrorism , regarding National Security, is not going to be won "over night". I don't know of any war on terrorism (per se) that was ever won outright. Anyway, this is not some endeavor that will turn itself off in an hours episodic time frame. Once the tv and radios are off this war will still continue. This kind of conflict is 24/7 , as you folks already know, and the sooner folks "wake up" to that fact and prepare ,supply and fight to win and not appease, the sooner a more positive National mindset will emerge. It is going to take a whole lot of work and it will take more than an hour.

greensideout
04-21-04, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Osotogary
This war on terrorism , regarding National Security, is not going to be won "over night". I don't know of any war on terrorism (per se) that was ever won outright. Anyway, this is not some endeavor that will turn itself off in an hours episodic time frame. Once the tv and radios are off this war will still continue. This kind of conflict is 24/7 , as you folks already know, and the sooner folks "wake up" to that fact and prepare ,supply and fight to win and not appease, the sooner a more positive National mindset will emerge. It is going to take a whole lot of work and it will take more than an hour.

Well said! "It will take more then an hour."

It will, I belive take a generation of re-education of the Islamic following to curb the present mind set of killing and distruction of anyone or any country with a cause for peace and goodwill that is different then their own.

The "mindset" in this country is an "American" perspective that assumes that the rest of the world thinks as we do. It doesn't---it's time for Americans to think outside of the box.

I guess it will take the re-education of America too.:(

President Bush understands what we are up against, our troops are fighting what we our up against and the American people need to support them in what we are up against---it's not "just having bad day", it's terrorism at it's worst and it's not going to go away soon.

HardJedi
04-21-04, 10:04 PM
it's NEVER going to go away. Ever. asl long as someone has more than someone else, or as long as someone believes differently than someone else, there will be terrorism.