PDA

View Full Version : Marines in Afghanistan welcome arrival of big guns

thedrifter
04-21-04, 06:52 AM
April 20, 2004

Marines in Afghanistan welcome arrival of big guns

By Christian Lowe
Times staff writer

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — The Marines here looked like expectant fathers as they watched an M198 155 mm howitzer roll off the ramp of a KC-130 Hercules aircraft and onto a dusty runway.
“It’s like delivering a baby,” said a Marine walking by, clutching an instant camera to commemorate an event that perhaps only Marines would find so special.

The arrival of the howitzers, their huge barrels slathered in grease to stave off rust from the salty sea air, symbolized the Marines’ entry into this warring country. More than 400 miles inland from their ships, the leathernecks of the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit are glad to have the big guns ashore.

Officials here say the 155s are the biggest guns in the Afghan theater, an obvious point of pride to these Marines, who arrived nearly three weeks ago. The artillerymen, and even some of the infantrymen, are quick to mention that they are the stewards of the fiercest indirect firepower this side of the Hindu Kush mountain range.

The two guns delivered here from the ships of the Wasp Expeditionary Strike Group, sailing in the northern Indian Ocean, will be deployed to the MEU’s forward operating base near Kandahar. With a range of more than 18 miles, the guns will provide long-range security for the base and for grunts humping through the steep hills and remote villages that pepper their new domain.

Most of the artillerymen with Golf Battery, 2nd Battalion, 10th Marines, have been split into provisional rifle platoons, since most of their guns are still aboard ship. A 14-man team will man the guns at the base, while the rest of the battery will provide security for vehicle convoys during the MEU’s three-month deployment here. The stint in Afghanistan comes during the 22nd MEU’s regularly scheduled six-month deployment from Camp Lejeune, N.C.

As the artillerymen struggled to lift the howitzer’s muzzle break and thread it onto the end of the barrel, Gunnery Sgt. William Frye of Richmond, Va., explained that as soon as they get to the forward base, his men are going to send some rounds down range.

“That way we can, you know, let everyone up there know we’re here,” the battery gunny said with a grin.

Clearly, subtle diplomacy isn’t an artillery Marine’s strong suit.

Christian Lowe is covering U.S. military operations in Afghanistan.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2840009.php

Ellie

cjwright90
04-21-04, 09:52 AM
Can we say BOOM!?

Paladin
05-08-04, 06:52 AM
Cool.

Gunnery Sgt Frye used to be my section chief. I know its the same Marine because the SSgt William Frye I knew was also from Virginia. He was my section chief back in K-bay in '98 when I was with B/1/12.